[Official] Doctor Who Thread

dws5vol1.jpg

2|entertain have released details on the first DVD release of the new series starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Click on the pic above for a bigger version and read the press release below.

The Doctor has regenerated into a brand-new man, but danger strikes before he can even recover, as Doctor Who returns for a new series with an hour long opening episode. With the Tardis wrecked and the sonic screwdriver destroyed, the new Doctor has just 20 minutes to save the whole world ? and only Amy Pond to help him.

As the series continues the Doctor, together with Amy Pond, face some formidable new foes including a mysterious masked Lady and the sinister Smilers and the reappearance of the Daleks.

This brand new volume features the first 3 episodes of Series 5; The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks plus an exclusive 10 minute special feature. Produced by the team behind BBC3's hugely popular Doctor Who Confidential series, the Monster Files gets under the skin and inside the minds of the latest Doctor's most challenging opponents. With previously unseen footage and exclusive comments from cast and crew, the Monster Files take fans old and new even further behind enemy lines.

Doctor Who Series 5 Vol. 1 is released June 7 priced ?15.99 (DVD) and ?19.99 (Blu~Ray)

Here's the official synopsis for "Vampires Of Venice":

Dessicated corpses, terror in the canal and a visit to the sinister House of Calvierri ? the Doctor takes Amy and Rory for a romantic mini-break, as the Tardis touches down once again. But 17th-century Venice is not as it should be. The city has been sealed to protect it from the Plague, although Rosanna Calvierri may have other plans...

Steven Moffat says the show is about to get much scarier in episodes four and five, the "weeping angels" two-parter. There will be some proper scares. Also, he says this two-parter is a highly colored, loud action movie. [Gallifrey News Base]

Matt Smith is a much better Doctor Who than David Tennant

Reviewers and fans, as far as I?ve read, seem to be more or less agreed that Matt Smith has made a good start to his time as Doctor Who.

They?re right. He?s amusing, quirky and capable of giving nonsensical lines the appearance of twinkling wit (as he shouted at a Dalek in last week?s episode, while brandishing a biscuit: ?All right, it?s a Jammy Dodger ? but I was promised tea!?).

But I would go further than any of the reviewers I?ve read to date. Indeed, I?m prepared to utter what I gather is an unpardonable heresy in the world of Whovians. Because I?d say Matt Smith is already quite a lot better as the Time Lord than David Tennant was.

David Tennant, who is often acclaimed as perhaps the greatest Doctor ever, is a very good actor ? in other things. BBC Three?s 2005 series Casanova, for example. Or BBC One?s 2004 series Blackpool. Or his Hamlet for the RSC.

His Doctor Who, though, I often found unbearable. All that mugging and gasping and gaping. All that sub-Frankie-Howerd squawking and groaning. All that try-hard eccentricity. He was 34 when he started as the Doctor, and 38 when he finished ? yet he played it as though the Time Lord were a 12-year-old boy. But Tennant doesn?t look anything like a 12-year-old boy. He looks like Harry Potter?s camp uncle.

Doctor Who is, ultimately, a children?s programme ? at any rate, it certainly has been since its relaunch in 2005. And if the Doctor is to be portrayed as a gawky, gangling youth (rather than the barking professorial types of old, such as Tom Baker), he might as well be played by an actual youth.

So Matt Smith ? who is 27 going on 16 ? is ideally cast.

----

if you can go to the source some of the comments rip this reporter a new one.

To be fair, I really like Matt Smith, more than I thought I would.

But as one of the comments on the article mentioned, the problem with David Tennant as the Doctor was not him, but the scripts that were written him by Russell T Davies and gang which sometimes could really take the story down a silly path or would lead to some overacting.

So Matt Smith ? who is 27 going on 16 ? is ideally cast.

From what I've seen, I agree. I also agree that DT had to overact at times to compensate for the horrible scripts he got from RTD. This series appears to be much better written.

horrible scripts he got from RTD

Intrigued, which episodes? I think End of Time - Part 2 is up there, as well as The Last of the Time Lords.

Intrigued, which episodes? I think End of Time - Part 2 is up there, as well as The Last of the Time Lords.

Every season ender That Dave had to work his way through were disappointers. Davies writing is on par with Bannon Braga's, I'm actually surprised an episode wasn't resolved through use of an anti proton beam!

From what I've seen, I agree. I also agree that DT had to overact at times to compensate for the horrible scripts he got from RTD. This series appears to be much better written.

Yep. I think RTD wasn't the best of directors, although I did enjoy his season endings :)

His season 1 and 2 endings I loved, but season 3 and 4 were a bit, meh :/

I think Matt Smiths doing a great job and is a great doctor... however he seems to have taken more than a little inspiration from tennant and he just doesn't have the acting range to pull it off as smoothly. IMHO

not long! :woot:

My FreeSat tuner has been playing up recently (dunno why), so rather than watch it live, I'm gonna finish season 1 of Fringe (Just heard William Bell on that tape - OMG I now understand why peeps kept telling me I'd be amazed when I found out who'd be playing him), then catch this weeks ...Who via iPlayer (Also, given how little TV I watch, I Think this'll be my last TV licence, so I'll be watching it via iPlayer in the future).

Dare I say that was better than Blink and Dead/Library? I think it was anyways. :D

I love how they have "Bob" "Hey, who turned out the lights!" lol Can't wait for next week's now already, and I'm dying to know how the "Crack" will fit into things now.

I thought it was such a good episode, I'm wiling to let the fact that Sally Sparrow wasn't in it go. :p

Dare I say that was better than Blink and Dead/Library? I think it was anyways. :D

I love how they have "Bob" "Hey, who turned out the lights!" lol Can't wait for next week's now already, and I'm dying to know how the "Crack" will fit into things now.

Yea, I'm surprised its being looked into so early on in the series, I expected it to just appear in the background and be missed by The Doctor till the last few episodes where there will be a big reveal.

Yea, I'm surprised its being looked into so early on in the series, I expected it to just appear in the background and be missed by The Doctor till the last few episodes where there will be a big reveal.

Yeah, I think everyone expected it like the "Bad Wolf" in series 1, at the end. Anyway, hope it explains why Amy doesn't know who the Daleks are because that's just weird..

Wasn't better than Blink imo, but it was the best episode out of the series so far!