[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Isnt the first doctor the picture on the Library card?

I was rather impressed with the two-parter. Can't wait for more. Really loving the subtle hints (assuming that's what they are) being dropped, like Amy not knowing the Daleks, and the so-called "Future Doctor."

I'm kind of hoping to see the return of Jenny, and really want to see Captain Jack come back as well.

Why is Luke leaving Sarah Jane?

probably at the age now for University, I mean he has to grow up sometime.

I was rather impressed with the two-parter. Can't wait for more. Really loving the subtle hints (assuming that's what they are) being dropped, like Amy not knowing the Daleks, and the so-called "Future Doctor."

And that River Swan killed the Doctor :shifty:

Well, it's implied... but it would explain a whole lot. Like how Song has the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.

Well, it's implied... but it would explain a whole lot. Like how Song has the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.

You missed it. The Doctor (10?) gave her the screwdriver after their last "date."

River's Chronology:

The Doctor and River Song meet

Pandorica (?)

River kills The Doctor and goes to jail

"The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone"

River becomes a professor

The Doctor gives her the sonic screwdriver

"Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead"

On an unrelated note...

I can't stand this Doctor.

In the first episode,

Then, he was completely useless and wrong in the future, and Amy had to save the day.

Then, he went to WWII because he was asked to, followed orders, called people sir, and was pretty useless except for reactivating the Daleks. Amy saved the day again. It's a good thing The Doctor disabled the Dalek's shields or he could have just skipped the episode completely.

I'm used to my Doctor being smart and able to figure out what's going on way before everyone else. He hasn't done that yet.

Seriously, I want The Doctor to do something useful and helpful and save the day like he used to. All he did in the most recent two-parter was lead the way in the running. No ideas were his besides "Run."

"Aaah!! The angels are going to kill me. I should run away. Oh yeah, and you should too."

I think the doctor is fine, it's the episodes and supporting cast which let it down for me. ?I can't stand Amy, she stands still with her arms down her side, wooden and doesn't seem have much range in her facial expressions. ?

The next episode I'm not expecting that much, it's written by Toby Whithouse, who writes Begin Human and wrote School Reunion (where we see K-9 again). ?He has written for Hotel Babylon and ?created No Angels, but I'm not the great fan of the current Vampire culture -_-

Terry Pratchett has claimed that Doctor Who has become "ludicrous".

The author, who said that he has always been a fan of the series, explained that it "breaks most of the laws of narrative".

Writing for SFX, he continued: "On planet Earth it's generally taken for granted that it's a bad thing to introduce into a narrative some last-minute solution that was totally unexpected and unheralded.

"The unexpected, unadvertised solution which kisses it all better is known as a deus ex machina - literally, a god from the machine. And a god from the machine is what the Doctor is now."

He went on: "A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalising information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff in the library. Doctor Who replaces this with speed, fast talking, and what appears to be that wonderful element 'makeitupasyougoalongeum'."

Pratchett also dismissed the idea that Doctor Who is science fiction and claimed that the Doctor is starting to resemble God.

"The Doctor himself has in recent years been built up into an amalgam of Mother Teresa, Jesus Christ... and Tinkerbell," he said. "There is nothing he doesn't know and nothing he can't do... Perhaps they should start transmitting the programme on Sundays."

However, Pratchett admitted that he will continue to watch the series.

"After all, when you've had your moan you have to admit that it is very, very entertaining, with its heart in the right place, even if its head is often in orbit around Jupiter," he said. "I might shout at the screen again, but I will be watching on Saturday."

Doctor Who continues on Saturday at 6pm on BBC One.

i'm gonna have to assume that the tardis has a perception filter...

It always has hasn't it? I'm sure I heard Eccelson mention it (:

It always has hasn't it? I'm sure I heard Eccelson mention it (:

About 2:20 in...

About 2:20 in...

Ahhh... must've been Tennant then who mentioned a perception filter... I think he mentioned it in one of the episodes with the Master in it =/

What baffled me was that Matt Smith's Doctor tried to fool the Daleks with a Jammie Dodger claiming it was a shield. Why didn't he just use the force field that Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and Captain Jack used?

I'm just not liking this series, I'm sure someone posted in this thread about them not bringing old characters back yet so far we have seen River and Daleks

And what is with the crack in the wall? Bad wolf was subtle, this is just in your face. Almost like everything else is happening around it and incidental

What baffled me was that Matt Smith's Doctor tried to fool the Daleks with a Jammie Dodger claiming it was a shield. Why didn't he just use the force field that Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and Captain Jack used?

Hey I was kinda baffled how the Tennant's Doctor died of radiation poisoning whereas in the first episode where he met Martha he absorbs loads of radiation and shakes it out of his foot like it was nothing =/

I'm just not liking this series, I'm sure someone posted in this thread about them not bringing old characters back yet so far we have seen River and Daleks

And what is with the crack in the wall? Bad wolf was subtle, this is just in your face. Almost like everything else is happening around it and incidental

I took that as to meant they weren't bringing back any characters Russel T Davis made, Daleks are staple Doctor Who, and Angels & River were both Moffats own characters I think.

I also reckon there'll be something more subtle going on too, certainly I don't think we should put Bad Wolf and the crack in the same league of story devices.

The problem with Bad Wolf was that it was almost too subtle and we didnt get any resolution until the season finale.

I like what they're doing with the crack and its great that they are actually dealing with it as the season goes on - i think it is the main storyline while everything around it is indeed incidental.

The problem with Bad Wolf was that it was almost too subtle and we didnt get any resolution until the season finale.

I like what they're doing with the crack and its great that they are actually dealing with it as the season goes on - i think it is the main storyline while everything around it is indeed incidental.

Yeah, I think its the main story device - but I think there's also some still some subtle stuff going on that ties to it that'll lead to a revelation at the end of series... which I guess best bets is on the Doctor travelling back on his own timeline? Or alternate universe doctor travelling back on this doctors timeline, something along those lines.

i'm gonna have to assume that the tardis has a perception filter...

Well it has a chameleon circuit which makes it blend into the surrounding of where it ends up but the doctors has been broken since the series began. He used the keys as the base of a perception filter in the last of the timelords arc so people wouldn't see him, martha or jack if they kept themselves low key

well i say the tardis has a perception filter, because in the venice clips, it just appears in the middle of a crowded market and no one double takes or stops, they just walk right past it. sure the chameleon circuit's police box might seem anachronistic in modern times, but it's just alien, pardon the pun, to renaissance italy. in most other episodes, it appears in an alley way, or a closet, or some tucked away corner of a garden. you know, somewhere out of the way... except for the rift of course. yet already we've had it materialize in the middle of a market, twice. nitpicking? maybe..

Hey I was kinda baffled how the Tennant's Doctor died of radiation poisoning whereas in the first episode where he met Martha he absorbs loads of radiation and shakes it out of his foot like it was nothing =/

i considered it as radiation from an mri machine v. radiation from an alien medical device designed to heal entire planets. it probably would have been dangerous if he tried to expel it from his body on earth. which, for me, explains why his regeneration in the tardis was so explosive.