[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Didn't find the finale too impressive. It didn't tie up the loose strings, like who the voice was, or at least give a hint. Also, his method of escape doesn't make sense. He was trapped in the Pandoria but gave the screwdriver to Rory from the future but how did he initially escape from the Pandorica to reach the future and give the screwdriver so he could escape?

Yeah, they seemed to skip over that - probably just a deus ex machina to get the plot progressing? :p What ever happened to River's screwdriver anyway? I think it would have been a lot more plausible to have DT come back literally just to hand him his old sonic screwdriver - the reason for him knowing to come to this time is that he knows about the TARDIS exploding (if the TARDIS has exploded at every point in time, it's feasible for DT to know it's going to happen before hand) and tracks down the nearest point in time where MS's doctor is, Rory explains what happens and DT gets MS out of the Pandorica.

THEN Matt Smith puts Amy in the Pandorica and the rest carries on from there.

It's part fan ###### but it's a lot more plausible then the illogical circular paradox in the finale :p

The first part of the season finale provided so much potential for a terrific, high octane second part, but to my disappointment it was so boring! In less than a few minutes, all the baddies in the first part just disappeared, and the explanation to why was so lame. Why did the Pandorica open so fast when Amelia touched it compared to the first part? I was hoping for those action packed baddies vs the Doctor finales, but all they did was talked and talked and talked. The only bad guy was a single fricken Dalek who died half way through!

All the Baddies were erased from history when the tardis exploded, the 1 darlek was left because the pandoricas' restoration field "the light" was shining on it.

Thought it was a good episode! I thought Doctor Who didn't do "paradoxes"? Overall, I've enjoyed this season with Matt Smith. Bring on season 6!

Yeah, they seemed to skip over that - probably just a deus ex machina to get the plot progressing? :p What ever happened to River's screwdriver anyway?

it's not a deus ex machina. the doctor purposefully created a temporal paradox in order to free himself. he basically broke every rule in the book of time travel; but he could do it consequence free since the universe was collapsing around him anyway. moffat basically took wibbley wobbly timey wimey, took the kid gloves off, and then ran with it.

i think river uses her own sonic to scan the link the doctor built between the pandorica and the vortex manipulator.

what i have trouble wrapping my head around is amy remembering the doctor in order to bring him back. there was this whole explanation that some how her mind has been tied to the universe through the crack. but the pandorica explodes, restoring the universe to what it was pre-cracks, while the doctor has been wiped from existence. all of series 5 is just a dream in the minds of the doctor and the companions. the only way i can think of the doctor coming back is if the pandorica restores the universe based on a template (for want of a better word) of the universe psychically linked to amy's mind... but that's doesn't follow how i understood pandorica's abilities worked.

or!! as i realized while typing this, that amy remembering the tardis, with the doctor in it, kept the doctor from being erased from time to begin with, which could explain why the engagement ring and the photo of rory never disappeared from existance... saving the tardis, a much larger object, with the doctor in it, would be grounds for being surprised and astonished.

The first part of the season finale provided so much potential for a terrific, high octane second part, but to my disappointment it was so boring! In less than a few minutes, all the baddies in the first part just disappeared, and the explanation to why was so lame. Why did the Pandorica open so fast when Amelia touched it compared to the first part? I was hoping for those action packed baddies vs the Doctor finales, but all they did was talked and talked and talked. The only bad guy was a single fricken Dalek who died half way through!

Actually, we just assume River killed that Dalek. Since they didn't show it, she may have actually shown "mercy". But then again, it seems her character is much darker or at least way more complex than we were lead to believe, so who knows with her now.

The explanation to why the baddies all went bye bye wasn't lame at all. It made perfect sense in the context of the episode and what happened and how it was explained. I think everyone was just looking forward to seeing the Doctor battle all the baddies, and that's not what the episode or the series was about.

As for why the Pandorica opened so quickly when Amelia touched it, my only guess is that all that security stuff that made it take so long in the previous episode was already disabled by the Doctor so that when Amelia touched it her DNA would just activate the final sequence to restore Amy and open the box up.

And they are obviously setting up a much larger storyline/big bad for series 6. Whether it's River Song herself involved in that (kinda what she implied in the last minute or so of the episode) or some of the stuff rumored in the spoilers, who knows at this point.

The prominant figure who returned was The Doctor, when Amy remembered him.

Lol at all those nerds who were clamouring for Omega.

It was a beautifully shot, scripted, acted,written and above all appropriately wobbly timey wimey finale and I loved every second of it!

The prominant figure who returned was The Doctor, when Amy remembered him.

Lol at all those nerds who were clamouring for Omega.

It was a beautifully shot, scripted, acted,written and above all appropriately wobbly timey wimey finale and I loved every second of it!

Possibly.

Omega may still return next series, since the storyline continues. Who knows.

I agree.

Really want to know who River Song is now!

And they left us with so many unanswered questions... Like now... If the cracks are erased and never were gone... How does Amy still know the Doctor and everything, and how did she meet him fully and him take her with him.

Since if there was no crack, there would be no Prisinor Zero so no Atraxi or nothing.

If here parents are alive then, how would they not notice the big crash of the TARDIS and him in their house etc.

I wanna know also, how is behind the silence, how controlled the TARDIS and flew it on 26.06.2010 to explore... Why that date... why to destroy the universe... Who formed the alliance... I'm thinking any Time Lord from the Last day of the Time-War, since they wanted to live outside the Universe, just minds or whatever. To explore the universe could be their plan.

Since if there was no crack, there would be no Prisinor Zero so no Atraxi or nothing.

If here parents are alive then, how would they not notice the big crash of the TARDIS and him in their house etc.

They did notice him, once Amy remembered him, the Doctor was written back into history, so once everything once done, the parents knew who the Doctor was. Hard to explain.. blink.gif

The last two episodes of Dr who were brilliant, I hope it gets awards for how beautifully scripted and acted it was.

I will be watching the last episode again on iPlayer I think, I watched the previous one a couple of times. So much is happening all of the time it takes a couple of watches to take it all in!

Really looking forward to the Christmas 2010 episode and most definitely the next series... Steven Moffat has really turned Doctor Who around!

That's confusing... But what about stories such as "Flesh and Stone" where the Angel's were defeated by the Crack... What happens now... And "Cold Blood"... Rory is now alive and did not get absorbed by the crack... So are the Siluranians still alive or something? Because then did he not get shot?

I'm still considering this as a huge Deus Ex Machina--Steven Moffat essentially undid everything the Doctor's ever done with this episode. The only people that remember him are Amy, Rory, and River--along with the people that Amy told [her 'imaginary friend']. What I mean is... After 'Big Bang Two', the Doctor no longer existed. But when Amy remembered him, the Doctor suddenly 'exists' again. ...Except not 'again', because he never existed. :pinch: I wonder if this is recreating the Doctor, making the current version a 'First Doctor' in order to avert his eventual transition in the 13th reincarnation. It's also another way of reinforcing the thought that things like The Stolen Earth and the Cyberwoman never actually happened, and why nobody remembers them.

Then again, I haven't read through the thread since the episode aired so I don't know what all of you think. This is just what I got out of it.

At the same time though, I'm terribly curious about who River Song is. She didn't seem to be affected by Big Bang Two--She knew to bring Amy the 'spoiler' notebook, and seemed to remember the Doctor completely. I can't wait for more!

she's going to be the big bad next series I feel!

358ryox.jpg.gif

The Doctor's dancing is just so funny :p Better than me :D From DW Confidential, Matt made the Arm and Head dancemove up :L

I wonder if this is recreating the Doctor, making the current version a 'First Doctor' in order to avert his eventual transition in the 13th reincarnation.

This! No one has noticed the Doctor's close to his final reincarnation. If River Song happened to be his wife, quite possibly she'd be forced to kill him before he turned into a degenerate Time Lord. :p

Everyone seems to be forgetting what the Doctor said before he caused BB2. He said the Pandorica contained a few billion atoms of the Universe as it was, literally a recording or book of history up to that point etc. By flinging himself and the Pandorica into the exploding Tardis, he simply recreated the entire Universe as it was, minus himself from history - which was then rectified when Amy remembered him thus restoring him to the timeline and everything he ever did. So yes, everything that happened in series 5 happened, everything from the 1st Doctor to the 10th Doctor happened, people can relax. Moffat did NOT erase everything and make a blank canvas. He respects the Who universe way to much to do that, I'm sure most people would agree on that in this thread.

Loved it. Simply loved it.

Great acting in both parts - well done to the team.

As for the cracks, if the cracks lead to the void, let's not forget that there are millions of Daleks and Cybermen in the void - could it be them?

It all makes sense in the context of what was set up previously. You just have to think about it a bit.

Also, anyone else find it eerily weird seeing Confidential and them showing the team in NYC doing that theater thing we saw months ago posted on Youtube? lol