[Official] Doctor Who Thread

I thought in the last ep, that when the Doctor awoke on the Tardis and heard himself talking to Amy about "Space Florida", he head a Tennant Doctor. I sat bolt upright...

LOLWAT

Sources are reporting that a big screen version of Doctor Who, written by former showrunner Russell T. Davies, is slated for release in 2012. Those same sources are also reporting that Johnny Depp has been confirmed in the iconic role of The Doctor.

The rumor of an American movie adaptation of the classic British sci-fi series was originally raised when Russell T. Davies and show producer Julie Gardner announced their departure from the BBC revival of the show for Los Angeles in 2008 in order to develop projects for BBC America. Though both were mum on the idea of adapting Doctor Who for American audiences, it was eventually revealed that Torchwood was undergoing that very process. The idea of a Torchwood television series was originally pitched to Fox before eventually landing at Starz. (Fox Television itself is no stranger to Doctor Who, having been the distributor behind an attempted American revival of the show in 1996.)

Earlier this week, the news of Johnny Depp starring in Doctor Who appeared on article mill PubArticles:

Long-time producer of the television series Russell T. Davies reported that the reason he moved on from the show was due to the opportunity to transform the Doctor to the big screen. ?Bringing the Who franchise to the theaters is a regeneration for the character beyond the usual one. A theatrical release has a greater range and can reach millions of more people than just the fans. There will be brand new concepts and the film will be just as adventurous, scary and humorous as the television programme. But none of us working the film will forget what makes the character great and interesting and the long-time fans will not be disappointed because yes, the Daleks make an appearance.?

The article goes on to say that the story will involve the Doctor going ?on a journey through time and space with a crew of volunteers treating humanity?s illnesses brought on by invading aliens. He cures the bubonic plague and then goes to Africa to fight Ebola.?

The grain-of-salt quotient on this idea is MASSIVE, but it?s not like Russell T. Davies hasn?t introduced huge, odd-sounding concepts to Doctor Who before. He?s also admitted in his book The Writer?s Tale to routinely lying to press about story elements.

So it was with even greater surprise that movie studio sources confirmed with Tor.com today that, while it can?t comment on possible story elements, the casting of Johnny Depp as the Doctor for a 2012 film is confirmed.

If this bears out to be true, it introduces an enormous amount of excitement and uncertainty to the franchise. A movie version could make the Doctor a household name here in America but alienate old fans in the process. And what of Johnny Depp?s involvement? It is, obviously, too soon to decide on how any of this will play out. If it plays out.

I personally know one thing for sure: I certainly won?t mind seeing the TARDIS plastered on billboards all around the country.

Source

I don't think I quite have words for that.

Edit: right less angry now....WTF! RTD what are you thinking?!

a. you left Dr Who.

b. Dr Who is British always has been always will be, you can't cast an American actor!

c. it's just plain wrong.

d. WTF! RTD what are you thinking?!

I don't think I quite have words for that.

Edit: right less angry now....WTF! RTD what are you thinking?!

a. you left Dr Who.

b. Dr Who is British always has been always will be, you can't cast an American actor!

c. it's just plain wrong.

d. WTF! RTD what are you thinking?!

Johnny Depp can certainly play a British character. It's not like British actors don't portray Americans in movies and television shows all over the place here in the states (they do, alot). I for one would love to see a big screen adaptation of Who, with a British actor in the lead role mind you, but Depp can pull it off if he's actually cast for it.

RTD left Who, more or less for this. So, nothing wrong with it I suppose. I mean, I know Doctor Who is British all the way to the bone, but if they can adapt everything else for everyone else, hey I say go for it. Just do it RIGHT and not half assed.

I suppose if I were British I would just be disgusted by the very thought of this happening. But if RTD is involved and has creative control and all that, I really don't think it's all that bad. Now if say, Michael Bay were producing/directing - yeah ARSE!

:)

Depp would be perfect for the role. He has the right mix of zaniness and seriousness to make it work. RTD would do a good job of it, I'm sure.

RTD will input a cheesy story just like he did with his Dr Who era though :p

Nothing wrong with cheese, especially considering it is Doctor Who, and up until the new series started up again it was mostly cheesy and camp no? :D

Depp would be perfect for the role. He has the right mix of zaniness and seriousness to make it work. RTD would do a good job of it, I'm sure.

Exactly. I love you man.

Johnny Depp can certainly play a British character. It's not like British actors don't portray Americans in movies and television shows all over the place here in the states (they do, alot). I for one would love to see a big screen adaptation of Who, with a British actor in the lead role mind you, but Depp can pull it off if he's actually cast for it.

RTD left Who, more or less for this. So, nothing wrong with it I suppose. I mean, I know Doctor Who is British all the way to the bone, but if they can adapt everything else for everyone else, hey I say go for it. Just do it RIGHT and not half assed.

I suppose if I were British I would just be disgusted by the very thought of this happening. But if RTD is involved and has creative control and all that, I really don't think it's all that bad. Now if say, Michael Bay were producing/directing - yeah ARSE!

:)

yeah I know depp could do it (in fact his personality and style are perfect for it), it just doesn't seem right lol.

RTD will input a cheesy story just like he did with his Dr Who era though :p

yes he will.

my other major issue is that this will probably bit released while the TV series is ongoing... goodbye continuity.

Ok, my guesses for this rumored movie:

A magical sphere is in a paradox universe 50+ years ahead of today, inside that sphere it's the master.

The master is some sort of ghost thing and likes laughing.

The Doctor kills the master and says, "That was easy!"

The End.

OH NO! A dalek comes out of no where and zaps the Doctor! Magically the Doctor DOESN'T Regenerate and puts all his "Regeneration Juice By Olay" In a magical hand, (Which was his at the start of season 2), and bang! No regeneration!

Captain Jack blows up the Dalek and they all live happily ever after. The END!

BUT OH NO WAIT! An old man suddenly remembers that he has a clock watch and bang! The master returns!

He magically ages the Doctor into Herberts Dog and the Doctor is really annoyed but he can't do anything because he is Herberts Dog.

But amazingly Rose has this brilliant idea to look into the Tardis and bang! She saves the day! But oh no! She'll die randomly because she has the Tardis orange juice inside her so the Doctor kisses her and bang! He finally regenerates into Johnny Depp! BUT OH NO! The Timelords return but they weren't nice amazingly and try to bring bang Galiffrey and then go into this realllllyyy long and boriiiiinnngggg converrrrssaaaatiiioooonnnn about how they can get past the time lock and amazingly they find a leak and bang! A new planet is formed next to the earth, with no enemies around it.

The Doctor is like, "OH NO! " And he magically pulls a gun out and kills the main time lord dude and everyone celebrates! But OHH NOOO!! Some random dude is locked inside a chamber and the Doctor is the only one that can save him! The Doctor then sacrifices him self to save the other dude but in return pulls off some really loud screams and fake tears.

And he fiinnnnnallllyy regenerates into Matt Smith! The End.

RTD makes Uwe Boll look like Spielberg at his best. The man is devoid of talent and should be kept away from anything related to Doctor Who. Or just anything.

Now The Grand Moff doing a big budget movie with Matt Smith :woot:

Hmm, I had no idea Time Lords can do that :p That's pretty awesome hehe. I'm still a little confused as to why River didn't just use her own Sonic Screwdriver to release the Doctor, though :p

I think I can answer that one-- sort of... well In her current timeline - she was in prison and would not have had a sonic-- Would not make sense for them to let her keep it in there- too easy for her to escape- as for the lipstick weapon I would think she probably made that in jail--

! I figured out who River Song is !

River song is Amy.

River Song gave Amy her journal, and it was empty. She flips though it completely, and it's empty. In Silence in the Library she hands the doctor her journal and it isn't empty. It's a journal of her journeys with the doctor. EG: It's full of information.

I expect the Movie To Fail

1. DW is British, making it American, would Ruin it.

2. I am sick of hearing Johnny Depp Everywhere, plus him as the Doctor, I'd rather go watch the previous 5 series again

3. How would it even work... Since Matt Smith is the Doctor, would he not have to regenerate... in which... is that confirming Matt is only here till 2012... And if Johnny Depp is the new Doctor, I expect it to be bad.

I think there should be a good BRITISH (Is in British Cinemas only for the first month or so too) and stars Matt Smith... And has a good plot line.

River song is Amy.

River Song gave Amy her journal, and it was empty. She flips though it completely, and it's empty. In Silence in the Library she hands the doctor her journal and it isn't empty. It's a journal of her journeys with the doctor. EG: It's full of information.

I think you are wrong-- mainly because when the two sonic's touched there was a spark.... and in the episode with the Angels-- River was guiding Amy and holding her hand- The two same people from different times can be in the same room -- they just can not touch. Also I believe she touched Amy's hand. I think the journal was empty because the adventure of her and the Doctor had not happened yet-- It was there in the Library because it had already happened.

example-- lets use dates-- The wedding 1990 - Library 2000 -- Her adventures with the Doctor happened in 1995... it would be text there In 2000 but not in 1990 (because she had not met the doctor yet)

Though you may be kind of right- AMY might be the one writing the book--- Since River song is an archeologist .

River song is Amy.

River gave her the book to remind Amy of the Doctor, it was empty because The Doctor had been deleted from time so none of their journeys together had happened, the front of the book looks like the Tardis which is used to remind Amy of The Doctor which brings him back.

After The Doctor comes back he takes the book off Amy, then river approaches him outside the Tardis and he tells her that the writing has come back but he didn't look, then he gives it back to her.

River isn't Amy.

Another possibility as to who River is-- have a read---

http://tardis.wikia...._Doctor_(Exile)

That wouldn't make sense seeing how that isn't part of Doctor Who cannon and never happened in the actual TV Universe.

RTD makes Uwe Boll look like Spielberg at his best. The man is devoid of talent and should be kept away from anything related to Doctor Who. Or just anything.

Now The Grand Moff doing a big budget movie with Matt Smith :woot:

agreed :yes:

I really hope it doesn't, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this film does get made. Who is popular at the moment. There's a big push to get it more widely viewed in America and Hollywood could be the key to that. As far as story goes, let's face it, it doesn't have to even be cannon (there is precedent to this, see the Peter Cushing films), which could give RTD and the Hollywood studios creative license to go bat **** crazy and write whatever they feel will appeal to the widest audience.

interesting post over at SpoilerTV

Here in the UK Betting Companies have suddenly dropped the odds ont he actor leaving from 6/1 to 9/2. That's quite a drop in terms of odds, the bookies don't normally get things wrong.

David Morrissey, who appeared in the 2008 Who Christmas special, is favourite to replace him at 4/1.

Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-30T18%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=6#ixzz0sNMB0Wu8