[Official] Doctor Who Thread

lol sure you can take that as an excuse but deep down you know the robot thing was just an easy way out lol

It's convenient, but at least it's somewhat plausible. Once you've put yourself in the position of explaining how the Doctor didn't die even though you've kinda just seen him die, you've not got a lot of choices. You can just go bat-sh** stupid like RTD, or try and put together something reasonably thought out and pre-determined. Plus, it gels somewhat with the Doctor's character, emphasising his generally crafty and underhandedness.

It also puts Moffat in a nice position next series where he doesn't have to put in some epic "everyone wants to kill the Doctor" storyline / finalie because everyone already thinks he's dead. He's put himself in a position where storyline dictates he can go for subtler and smarter writing. Not that any of us would have particularly questioned it either way, but he's written himself into that nice position, and hopefully maybe quite a few low key laid back episodes next season where we get to explore the Doctor's past.

Still, hopefully we get find out what caused the Tardis to explode next season... I assume the Silence are replacing the Daleks as the Doctor's main enemies for time being soo I'm hoping there'll be more exposition on that. That, and why there were no ducks in the duck pond -.- I'm still hung up on that! :p

I wouldnt be a 'fan' if i stopped watching the crap episodes, i have all of the 'nu' series on dvd and blurays.

I forgot if you arent riding Moffats **** then you arent allowed an opinion. I knew it was going to be some ridiculous Deus Ex Machina twist Moffat likes to do that. Hopefully he will get the message that his stories are crap and he will stop whining on twitter that people are abusing him and he will jog on.

No, you're allowed to have an opinion. From the very first episode of the series, we knew the Doctor was going to somehow escape (or copout) his fixed point in time death. There's going to be a Christmas Special, and a 7th series. If the Doctor did die, then how would the series continue on? It would just end here. I'm just glad it wasn't some over the top, RTD style "copout".

You think people from a timeline of timetravelling space cops that can miniaturize entire squadrons of themselves at will into midgit people that control perfect robot replicas of various historical figures don't have the technology or the know-how to put on a tiny light show? :p

This is great. I saw a topic on another forum asking how the Teselecta were able to regenerate. The responses ranged from lazy writing, The Doctor soniced the Teselecta to do so, or that he transfered some of River's regeneration powers to it. I, along with others were thinking something in line with your reply. I mean, duh!

And the send off for the Brigadier was so brilliant.

And the send off for the Brigadier was so brilliant.

yeah it was :(

new sarah jane next week...don't think I can watch :(

It wasn't a cop-out.

The only thing the Doctor needed to do is avoid a paradox, and the only thing necessary to do that was fool other people to think that he died. Think about it --- the Doctor just needed to make sure all of the events that happened after his death continued to happen ; and they would have happened just the same if it had only appeared like he died.

He fulfilled every requirement that was necessary for him to escape the situation. Also, the Doctor did die in the first timeline; he just didn't in the second. It was a fixed point in time, but that only means some things couldn't change about that moment, it doesn't mean that nothing could change.

I really liked the episode for its quality (great effects throughout), although overall I think it missed the mark. It was a fun episode but it was definitely rushed at places, and really, the ending was fairly predictable from the first episode.

But, overall, it's still better than the finales we have from RTD's era. It's not up to what I expect from Moffat, but it does set a nice tone for the series beyond, so let's see what will happen then.

Doctor Who? I was kinda expecting that, but I didn't want them to say it.

Feel let down again, I thought it was generally a poor episode, definitely the worst season finale out of the 6 seasons.

The final question - Dr Who? I almost don't want that answered by the current writers as they will take such a deep part of Dr Who and ruin it with their story telling.

Well we know that River does learn his name eventually. So that will have to be answered, or it's going to be one of them things that the characters know besides the audience. We still don't know why the TARDIS exploded

Well here's to Season 7, hopefully the Christmas special is better this year, last years was terrible if I seem to recall.

Wasn't last year the one with the flying fish? Oy. Almost anything would be better than that one, well except The Next Doctor. The one with the giant Cyberqueen thingie running amok through 17 or 18th century London lol

It wasn't a cop-out.

The only thing the Doctor needed to do is avoid a paradox, and the only thing necessary to do that was fool other people to think that he died. Think about it --- the Doctor just needed to make sure all of the events that happened after his death continued to happen ; and they would have happened just the same if it had only appeared like he died.

He fulfilled every requirement that was necessary for him to escape the situation. Also, the Doctor did die in the first timeline; he just didn't in the second. It was a fixed point in time, but that only means some things couldn't change about that moment, it doesn't mean that nothing could change.

Exactly, I agree pretty much fully. The fixed point in time was the "Doctor" being by the lake on that date getting shot and dying. It was one huge paradox from the start, hence the blue envelopes he sent to himself and the rest. As long as the above bit is met then time can go on fine, it was and we're done, on to the holiday ep and next season. Hardly a cop-out OR a Deus ex machina event. Also the question being the title of the show fits, it's the question everyone asks, everyone wants to know as well. Also, there's no need to even answering it. Knowing what the question is now doesn't mean they even have to give us the answer, they probably never will.

Well we know that River does learn his name eventually. So that will have to be answered, or it's going to be one of them things that the characters know besides the audience. We still don't know why the TARDIS exploded

We should never learn his name; that would ruin the show.

River knows his name but the only person she ever tells is his younger self before she dies.

Exactly, I agree pretty much fully. The fixed point in time was the "Doctor" being by the lake on that date getting shot and dying. It was one huge paradox from the start, hence the blue envelopes he sent to himself and the rest. As long as the above bit is met then time can go on fine, it was and we're done, on to the holiday ep and next season. Hardly a cop-out OR a Deus ex machina event. Also the question being the title of the show fits, it's the question everyone asks, everyone wants to know as well. Also, there's no need to even answering it. Knowing what the question is now doesn't mean they even have to give us the answer, they probably never will.

Agreed! His way out wasn't created right on the spot. The whole theme (I guess you can call it that) for this series was two events or things co-existing in the same space and or time.

- The TARDIS and her crew inside the TARDIS from a few moments earlier in Space and Time.

- The Alien space ship and the pirate ship in The Curse of the Black Spot.

- The whole Ganger thing.

- The Telsectra taking on the form of someone while having a miniaturized version of them inside.

- Two Amys in The Girl Who Waited.

Just noticed this... I was rewatching Matt Smith's first episode, Series 5, #1...

USQ7wl.jpg

Either someone got their dates messed up, or there really IS more to Rory than I imagined... I mean, some on-- not only did he immediately recognize the Doctor, but wasn't surprised by the TARDIS's interior. He has also died SEVERAL times, and come back from each one.

If we look at Rory's ID... and compare it with the date of the episode's occurences... This must put Rory at around 40 years old. At least. WHO ARE YOU, RORY?!

Just noticed this... I was rewatching Matt Smith's first episode, Series 5, #1...

USQ7wl.jpg

Either someone got their dates messed up, or there really IS more to Rory than I imagined... I mean, some on-- not only did he immediately recognize the Doctor, but wasn't surprised by the TARDIS's interior. He has also died SEVERAL times, and come back from each one.

If we look at Rory's ID... and compare it with the date of the episode's occurences... This must put Rory at around 40 years old. At least. WHO ARE YOU, RORY?!

After the events of "The Pandorica Opens" Rory is much older than the doctor now.