[Official] Doctor Who Thread

I agree, season 8 was so poor and I had low hopes for the Christmas special. However, I found it to be a decent episode. 

I may give season 9 a go, only a few episodes in. I really don't want to invest several hours into a TV show I'm watching because I have too. 

I get the feeling they're having trouble writing a Doctor who's an adult.

Capaldi is excellent, and Clara works well with him IMO. But this season was very much the writers trying to figure out the new Doctor. Capaldi., despite the scripts, seems to have a firm grasp of the character, actually - he clicked with me immediately, whereas Smith never did. I was watching mainly for Amy, Rory & Clara.

Christmas special was so so. The season as a whole.... a turd.

Capaldi is a great Doctor IMO but like Smith, is being let down but fifth grader scripts

Potentially one of the best Doctors, and already the best of the new series.

Rather than Clara leaving, IMO Moffett needs to go. He's done some great things for the franchise - removing the impending 13 Doctor limit for one. But his handling of the overall plot has been very lackluster. He's very good with individual episodes, but at the helm he's far less brilliant. The Doctor should not be a supporting character on his own show!

Let's have someone else control the Doctor's destiny, and have Moffett go back to the occasional novel, brilliant episode.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think either of them should be allowed to write episodes anymore.  Children think Dr Who is lame and now the fans do as well, Capaldi was a great chance to dive into who the Dr was, an age where he was comfortable in himself but it just became basic 'run around a building' or 'companion realises they have a heart' episodes as usual.  Huge potential of a series spent investigating a relationship between Clara and Danny, two people, so different they would never have been compatible if it wasn't for the huge glaring storyline that could have been - namely a time lord back to his full potential and instead messing around with pointless people.  This series I watched thanks to Sky Plus, none watched live for the first time since the 2005 series.

Starting to wonder if Moffatt has relationship issues, particularly as he keeps focusing on problems of the same type.  Amy and Rory and now Clara and Danny, two weak males and powerful females who then grow to understand the relationships.  Someone just give him a hug.

I really like Capaldi actually but this season has been a big let down for me as well. A few okay episodes but overall very disappointing. It has been more interesting to watch re-runs of previous seasons...

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling they're having trouble writing a Doctor who's an adult.

I get the feeling your right, but also they're having extra trouble because of the broadcast time.

Writing an adult doctor that can go out on BBC1 at around the 7PM timeframe.

I get the feeling your right, but also they're having extra trouble because of the broadcast time.

Writing an adult doctor that can go out on BBC1 at around the 7PM timeframe.

Robert Holmes, Barry Letts, Douglas Adams, Terry Nation and Graham Williams never seemed to have any trouble writing a kid-appropriate adult Doctor. Why is it suddenly such a problem for the current crop of writers?

Robert Holmes, Barry Letts, Douglas Adams, Terry Nation and Graham Williams never seemed to have any trouble writing a kid-appropriate adult Doctor. Why is it suddenly such a problem for the current crop of writers?

I'm not defending them, quite the opposite.

If you can't write for the time and style you're trying too, then it's time to find someone that can.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

She wasn't an instant hit with me. She's a good actress, but gender bending The Master was nothing but a cop out to the PC brigade and pee'd me off no end.  

She should have been cast as The Rani.  A proper, quality time lady villain who's not only smarter than the Master, but has more than given the Dr a run for his money in the past, and owes him payback a plenty for foiling her experiments.

• Like 2

She wasn't an instant hit with me. She's a good actress, but gender bending The Master was nothing but a cop out to the PC brigade and pee'd me off no end.  

She should have been cast as The Rani.  A proper, quality time lady villain who's not only smarter than the Master, but has more than given the Dr a run for his money in the past, and owes him payback a plenty for foiling her experiments.

Completely agree  :yes:

Exactly who i thought it was going to be, the whole series i said to my missus "She's The Rani", id on;t like to be wrong > :(

FloatingFatMan, on 20 Feb 2015 - 10:38, said:FloatingFatMan, on 20 Feb 2015 - 10:38, said:

And what are you going to say when they eventually make the Doctor another ethnicity, it's not about Who does the role then, because it's only a matter of Time until it happens.

And what are you going to say when they eventually make the Doctor another ethnicity, it's not about Who does the role then, because it's only a matter of Time until it happens.

I'll say exactly the same damned thing, and cease to watch it.

I don't have a problem with women or whatever actors, but you shouldn't just go screwing around established things just because some dipshit bleats and moans about equality BS.

This is just the same kinda of moronic crap that had the Doctor being half human in that dreadful movie made in the US.

What utter tosh.  So he has to always be a white male?  Why?  Because he always has?

He wasn't "young"  for the first few doctors, but that changed.

Pathetic that you see it that way.  It is in no way "about equality" - it's about twisting a tale and putting a different spin on a character who is MEANT to have a different spin.

As for the American Who movie, that was just terrible, terrible writing.

• 2 months later...

I'll say exactly the same damned thing, and cease to watch it.

It doen't sound like you were much of a fan anyway... You do know the whole point of the Doctor is he changes appearance? You really think a Time Lord cares about how much melanin is in their skin? Personally, I would have preferred a woman Doctor then a female Master.

I don't have a problem with women or whatever actors, but you shouldn't just go screwing around established things just because some dipshit bleats and moans about equality BS.

They didn't cast the Master as a woman because someone moaned about equality but because they thought it would be a good story. Geez...

It doen't sound like you were much of a fan anyway... You do know the whole point of the Doctor is he changes appearance? You really think a Time Lord cares about how much melanin is in their skin? Personally, I would have preferred a woman Doctor then a female Master.

I've been a fan of Dr Who since 1974, probably longer than most people on these forums have even existed.

They didn't cast the Master as a woman because someone moaned about equality but because they thought it would be a good story. Geez...

The reason they gave and the real reason don't have to tally, you know. There is no precedent in the show for Timelords to be able to change gender. Doing so is just a gratuitous capitulations to the PC brigade.  There are already existing female characters they could have used. Romana for one, and The Rani for another.  Both Timeladies, both equivalents to the Doctor & the Master. It would have been better to invent a means to bring either of them back than gender flipping just for the hell of it.

I've been a fan of Dr Who since 1974, probably longer than most people on these forums have even existed.

Congratulations, Tom Baker was also my first Doctor and we both proved we are old.

The reason they gave and the real reason don't have to tally, you know. There is no precedent in the show for Timelords to be able to change gender. Doing so is just a gratuitous capitulations to the PC brigade.  There are already existing female characters they could have used. Romana for one, and The Rani for another.  Both Timeladies, both equivalents to the Doctor & the Master. It would have been better to invent a means to bring either of them back than gender flipping just for the hell of it.

You sure you are a fan? Should I list all ways the new series has broken from the old series?

Thank God you weren't first a fan during the William Hartnell era when they switched to Patrick Troughton. You would have been like "there is no precedent in the show for Timelords (not that they ever used that word until later) to be able to change appeance". Right? LOL. All stories change and evolve over time...

Last year I watched season 7,  I really enjoyed it because the companion was an intellectual.. not a bimbo.  I grew up in the 80s watching Tom Baker, but quite liked Pertwee in season 7. 

Clara isn't terrible.