[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Yeah, I'm kinda close (Florida) but there's no way I can make it sadly. Would love to go though! My friend that I live with, her 12 year old loves Doctor Who thanks to me, she'd love it too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As much as I like Capaldi's take on the doctor especially over some childish antics previous generation provided a complete refresh might be for the best. I really hope they will be cleaning out the writers room for season 11

Disappointed he won't be staying on, but not surprised he's going to leave either. I also really, really hope they don't take off over a year again or go on an even longer hiatus for this one.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. I hope the production value doesn't go down, like it did with the Seventh Doctor's tenure. Don't get me wrong, I like Sylvester -- he's a lovely fellow -- but the "Office stuff" going on at that time was just plain garbage and the show suffered because of it. :( 

I guess he got sick and tired of the dreadful writing he's been getting...

Oh well! Time to start the search for a new Doctor!  My nomination, Richard E Grant

Reasons:

1. He's been in Dr Who before, in the Snowmen, The Belles of St John and The Name of the Doctor.  There is plenty of precedent for former Who actors taking on the main role.

2. He's actually played the Doctor before! In a comedy sketch and also in an animated episode as the 9th Doctor.

3. He has the "look".  The high forehead often visually associated with great intelligence, a piercing look, and the cultured accent that all go together with forming his overall look.

4. He's quite capable of the physical stuff needed in the role, but doesn't come across as an action hero. That's important to the Dr as he defeats his enemies with his mind, not his muscles! An idiot friend of mine suggested Idris Elba, seriously!  

11 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. I hope the production value doesn't go down, like it did with the Seventh Doctor's tenure. Don't get me wrong, I like Sylvester -- he's a lovely fellow -- but the "Office stuff" going on at that time was just plain garbage and the show suffered because of it. :( 

Down? The writing at least has already hit bottom. I'm hugely disappointed in this news because I wanted to see what Peter could do without the impediment of Moffat as showrunner. The most perfect actor for the role since Tom Baker, and he's been stuck with lousy scripts.

It's possibly down to the scripts but I've never enjoyed Capaldi's Doctor anywhere near as much as the others in recent years so this doesn't overly disappoint me.

Apparently, Olivia Coleman (supporting the already in an episode part) is one name thrown into the hat to have that eventual women doctor as well as Rupert Grint. Personally, I'm not a big fan over either of those but ultimately they need to get better scripts for it to work regardless.

10 minutes ago, Skiver said:

It's possibly down to the scripts but I've never enjoyed Capaldi's Doctor anywhere near as much as the others in recent years so this doesn't overly disappoint me.

Apparently, Olivia Coleman (supporting the already in an episode part) is one name thrown into the hat to have that eventual women doctor as well as Rupert Grint. Personally, I'm not a big fan over either of those but ultimately they need to get better scripts for it to work regardless.

Cheesus christ, Rupert Grint?

That said, it does make sense they are going to go with a youngin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skiver said:

The best woman I can think of in the role of Doctor Who, if we really must have one, is Carole Ann Ford, who played the Doctor's original companion and granddaughter. If we have to have a female Doctor, make her a badass granny version of Susan!

Or Maggie Smith. But if it happens, let it be handled by someone more skilled than Moffat, otherwise the show is toast. Just look at how poorly received the Ghostbusters reboot was.

Grint? No. I'm tired of younger actors in a role that's traditionally been a paternal/grandpaternal/crazy uncle figure. I want more actors like Capaldi in the role. And definitely no more kids like Matt Smith!

Just now, margrave said:

Ah, a female doctor would match the current female master... mistress.... whatever it calls itself. lol

I still think that's the Rani messing with the Doctor's head. :laugh: Not that the writing fits either character. Michelle Gomez is an excellent actress, and in the few good moments "Missy" has had, reminds me of a female version of Roger Delgado. The trouble is, those moments are very very few and far between. Like Peter, the scripts have not done Michelle justice. To be fair, Simms was a terrible Master as well.

Missy is a far better argument against a female Doctor than in support of the idea. At least while Moffat remains at the helm.

6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

The best woman I can think of in the role of Doctor Who, if we really must have one, is Carole Ann Ford, who played the Doctor's original companion and granddaughter. If we have to have a female Doctor, make her a badass granny version of Susan!

Or Maggie Smith. But if it happens, let it be handled by someone more skilled than Moffat, otherwise the show is toast. Just look at how poorly received the Ghostbusters reboot was.

Grint? No. I'm tired of younger actors in a role that's traditionally been a paternal/grandpaternal/crazy uncle figure. I want more actors like Capaldi in the role. And definitely no more kids like Matt Smith!

Someone like tennant replacing capaldi might be good. Tennant was really good so  I think someone like him could do a good job as the next doctor

31 minutes ago, wendy oltman said:

Someone like tennant replacing capaldi might be good. Tennant was really good so  I think someone like him could do a good job as the next doctor

Possibly, but I'd prefer they get away from the romantic elements in the Doctor-companion relationship. It only ever worked at all with 12 and River, and makes the Doctor look like a real creep, being over 2000 years old and all.

Still, Ten was the 2nd best NewWho Doctor, once they got rid of Rose. Just pair the new Doctor with a companion like Sarah Jane or Donna.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DConnell said:

Missy is a far better argument against a female Doctor than in support of the idea. At least while Moffat remains at the helm.

This. The feminist lobby got what they wanted with Missy. To do the same with the Doctor would just be daft.

Grint?  Might as well cancel the show now if he's in the running...

I still say Robert E Grant is the best choice so far. He has the look AND the screen presence needed for the role.

• Like 2

Has Tennant said anything about coming back to play the Doctor again? I feel with him doing Marvel now and finally getting his foot in the door in Hollywood over the past few years he'd have to obviously not do Doctor Who again. Plus, that would be really weird having him come back as the NEXT Doctor (imo). How would they explain that one? I'm sure they could obviously, but eh.

I still say a younger Doctor is better at this point, simply because of the physical requirements of the role these days. Plus, a ton of kids are into the show now and having an older guy (or gal) in the role might turn them off a bit. Of course if the writing is good, it shouldn't matter who the Doctor is. Moffat used to write amazing stuff, even when he took over as the main producer he still wrote decent stuff. But over the years, not so much anymore.

• Like 2

If a woman is out, how about a different race?

How about a black man?

OOooooo Peter Dinklage would be awesome!!!!

Maybe Ralph Fiennes? He's a great actor.

Mads Mikkelsen would be good,

Taron Egerton would be great for a younger one.. 'Matt Smith' time-ish....

Edited by margrave

Valid points, everyone.

6 hours ago, DConnell said:

Down? The writing at least has already hit bottom. I'm hugely disappointed in this news because I wanted to see what Peter could do without the impediment of Moffat as showrunner. The most perfect actor for the role since Tom Baker, and he's been stuck with lousy scripts.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't need to slip further down the drain. The writing -- and don't get me wrong, there have been some decent concepts toward the second half of the last series -- has been sub-par and the concepts weren't that well thought-out. It wasn't "cerebral" enough for me. Or maybe it was too cerebral and wasn't executed well. Capaldi himself is likely not happy with the writing either, and rather than ride it out with a new Staff he's chosen to just sign off. I can't blame him, if that's the case.

Concerning Michelle Gomez -- bless her for making lemonade from lemons. She took a truly mediocre part and made it shine. Nobody had been able to portray The Master with such personality and give it life like she has. I hope we see her again, she's fun.

• Like 2

I dunno, I thought the old guy from Utopia who wound up being the Master you know, Professor YANA (lol) had a ton of personality and life. I would have loved to see him again in the role to be honest.

Doctor Who’: Bond actor the favorite to replace Peter Capaldi

U.K.-based bookmakers William Hill have made Bond actor Ben Whishaw the favorite to replace Peter Capaldi in the long-running science fiction show Doctor Who. The company is offering odds of 6/1 that the Skyfall star will become the next Doctor, a two-hearted alien who periodically changes his physical form.

Capaldi announced Monday that he would leave the show later this year. BBC America has confirmed that the Doctor’s “regeneration” would occur on the special Christmas episode.

Whishaw plays the character of armaments expert Q in the Bond franchise. His other credits include Cloud Atlas, the Oscar-nominated The Lobster, and voicing the role of the titular bear in 2014’s Paddington, which featured Capaldi in its cast.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘doctor-who’-bond-actor-the-favorite-to-replace-peter-capaldi/ar-AAmsAQI?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=iehp

4 minutes ago, DoctorD said:

Doctor Who’: Bond actor the favorite to replace Peter Capaldi

U.K.-based bookmakers William Hill have made Bond actor Ben Whishaw the favorite to replace Peter Capaldi in the long-running science fiction show Doctor Who. The company is offering odds of 6/1 that the Skyfall star will become the next Doctor, a two-hearted alien who periodically changes his physical form.

Capaldi announced Monday that he would leave the show later this year. BBC America has confirmed that the Doctor’s “regeneration” would occur on the special Christmas episode.

Whishaw plays the character of armaments expert Q in the Bond franchise. His other credits include Cloud Atlas, the Oscar-nominated The Lobster, and voicing the role of the titular bear in 2014’s Paddington, which featured Capaldi in its cast.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘doctor-who’-bond-actor-the-favorite-to-replace-peter-capaldi/ar-AAmsAQI?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=iehp

He's ok but I prefer Doctor Who's actor to be at least 40.