[Official] Doctor Who Thread

So just saw the new episode, and it was pretty good. The internet of course is complaining because its about a lesbian psycho trope or some crap, but I just had fun with the show and enjoyed it. Pearl Mackie is damn good as Bill. And everyone else is superb as always. But I have to say Stephanie Hyam who played Heather was great. First off, she's cute as a button. I swear she is so adorable it hurts me. But she was also quite good as the shy girl, then the, whatever she was lol I hope to see more of her on the show (but probably won't) and I will make sure to look out for her in the future for BBC/UK productions and anything over here in the US as well.

Looking forward to the season of course and whatever comes at the end :D

• Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 5:57 PM, LOC said:

So just saw the new episode, and it was pretty good. The internet of course is complaining because its about a lesbian psycho trope or some crap, but I just had fun with the show and enjoyed it. Pearl Mackie is damn good as Bill. And everyone else is superb as always. But I have to say Stephanie Hyam who played Heather was great. First off, she's cute as a button. I swear she is so adorable it hurts me. But she was also quite good as the shy girl, then the, whatever she was lol I hope to see more of her on the show (but probably won't) and I will make sure to look out for her in the future for BBC/UK productions and anything over here in the US as well.

Looking forward to the season of course and whatever comes at the end :D

Yeah, I was ###### about the whole lesbian "romance" myself... Where the hell was the girl-girl sex scene?

• Like 3

Last night was a good one, probably in my top 10 episodes...

Spoiler

"What makes you so sure that your life is worth more than those people out there on the ice? Is it the money? The accident of birth that put you inside the big fancy house? ... Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life, an unimportant life, a life without privilege. The boy who died on the river, that boy's value is your value. That's what defines an age. That's what defines a species."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zathras5 said:

Last night was a good one, probably in my top 10 episodes...

Hide contents

"What makes you so sure that your life is worth more than those people out there on the ice? Is it the money? The accident of birth that put you inside the big fancy house? ... Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life, an unimportant life, a life without privilege. The boy who died on the river, that boy's value is your value. That's what defines an age. That's what defines a species."

Loved that speach

I've fallen behind on Dr Who, I can't remember where I left off of either. :p

38 minutes ago, margrave said:

Oh who's in that vault . . .

the possibilities are delightful to consider.

The Mistress/Master obviously. Most likely dying or will die for some reason (maybe due to the Cybermen finding her/him judging by the clip), then she'll be reincarnated back to John Simm, presuming they follow the usual Timelord process but The Master doesn't always seem to, especially since he was resurrected.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

41 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:
  Hide contents

The Mistress/Master obviously. Most likely dying or will die for some reason (maybe due to the Cybermen finding her/him judging by the clip), then she'll be reincarnated back to John Simm, presuming they follow the usual Timelord process but The Master doesn't always seem to, especially since he was resurrected.

Perhaps

Spoiler

Eric Roberts? He's more of a Master than either of the new series' versions. Not that that's saying much ... And it isn't that I liked Roberts' portrayal, just that Simms and Rodriguez are so atrocious in the role that they make Roberts good by comparison. Jacobi, for the 2 minutes he played the part, was far better.

2 hours ago, DConnell said:

Perhaps

Hide contents

Eric Roberts? He's more of a Master than either of the new series' versions. Not that that's saying much ... And it isn't that I liked Roberts' portrayal, just that Simms and Rodriguez are so atrocious in the role that they make Roberts good by comparison. Jacobi, for the 2 minutes he played the part, was far better.

I didn't like his portrayal, he was more Ming the Merciless than The Master for me, all he was missing was the twirly moustache and what the hell was the lizard eyes all about (not his choice I know)??

I just hope the next exec producer takes DW back to being a Sci-Fi series and not just a fantasy series, Moffat's run has been far too fantasy in nature for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DConnell said:

Perhaps

Hide contents

No thanks! But liking Bill and the new eps so far :)

4 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I just hope the next exec producer takes DW back to being a Sci-Fi series and not just a fantasy series, Moffat's run has been far too fantasy in nature for me.

**Goes to google...

**comes back:

Science fiction is really sociological studies of the future, things that the writer believes are going to happen by putting two and two together . . . Science fiction is a logical or mathematical projection of the future.

Fantasy invents what does not (and likely could not) exist in our reality. J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings takes place in the invented Middle-earth, a place populated by hobbits, dwarves, elves, goblins and more. It features rings that are powerful and One Ring that could control the power of all the others. There are plenty of other fantasy realms. Anne Rice, for example, explores vampires in her series of novels, The Vampire Chronicles.

Hm yeah, you are right

Quick question, how many people have actually seen the old Doctor Who films?

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)

Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)

I really liked Peter Cushing as The Doctor, yeah it's totally 60's but it reminds me a lot of the Quatermass films or Day of the Triffids that way. One thing you'll notice about them though, he's not a timelord in them, he's a human scientist.

Has anyone seen The Five Doctors set of episodes too when they actually managed to get 4 of the actors in the same story (William Hartnell had died by then so they had another actor named Richard Hurndall to play the original Doctor).

Also wonder if anyone was unlucky enough to have been watching when Sylvester McCoy became the doctor, I hardly watched at all cos that was when the series was at it's worst, Tom Baker was always my favourite cos I grew up with him, that's why I don't get too mad when fan girls are going on about Matt Smith and David Tennant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Quick question, how many people have actually seen the old Doctor Who films?

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)

Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)

I really liked Peter Cushing as The Doctor, yeah it's totally 60's but it reminds me a lot of the Quatermass films or Day of the Triffids that way. One thing you'll notice about them though, he's not a timelord in them, he's a human scientist.

Has anyone seen The Five Doctors set of episodes too when they actually managed to get 4 of the actors in the same story (William Hartnell had died by then so they had another actor named Richard Hurndall to play the original Doctor).

Also wonder if anyone was unlucky enough to have been watching when Sylvester McCoy became the doctor, I hardly watched at all cos that was when the series was at it's worst, Tom Baker was always my favourite cos I grew up with him, that's why I don't get too mad when fan girls are going on about Matt Smith and David Tennant.

Yes to all of that list. The movies where big cinema versions of the Hartnell stories, very fond memories of those films even though he's just a human in them.

I grew up at the tail end of the Baker run, like him but the fifth doctor is still my fav (with Capaldi a close second or even a tie).

I have been rewatching the 80s run and enjoyed them all even the naff ones. McCoy was great just underserved by the BBCs attitude to the show by that time.

9 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't like his portrayal, he was more Ming the Merciless than The Master for me, all he was missing was the twirly moustache and what the hell was the lizard eyes all about (not his choice I know)??

Spoiler

Granted, but I find Ming the Merciless a better archetype for the Master than "Evil Mary Poppins". And I didn't say I actually liked Eric in the role; just that he was better than the two modern Masters

6 hours ago, DConnell said:
  Hide contents

Granted, but I find Ming the Merciless a better archetype for the Master than "Evil Mary Poppins". And I didn't say I actually liked Eric in the role; just that he was better than the two modern Masters

Evil Mary Poppins lmao, I'm done. Perfect description.

15 hours ago, DConnell said:
  Hide contents

Whoever the next actor is to play The Master, they NEED to sit down and seriously study the Delgado/Ainsley versions before reading a single script.  I'm sick and tired of modern portrayals showing him as a psychopathic mass murderer. He is not, and was never meant to be, that.

He's meant to be cold, calculating, methodical, and every bit the Doctor's equal. They grew up together, after all, and have always been rivals.  He doesn't kill you because he gets off on killing. He kills you because you're simply in the way. He's efficient.

• Like 3

It feels like they've been trying to make The Master into a form of The Joker.

Now The Joker is my favorite comic book villain, I think The Master is meant to be much more a Moriarty styled character.