[Official] Doctor Who Thread

4 minutes ago, primortal said:

BBC America runs in here in the US.

Which is a wholly separate company that runs adverts, so yeah fair play - but 9 seems excessive.

As much as I respect they get their money through the ads, I don't think I'd watch TV at all without the DVR.  Yeesh.

I don't have BBCA though so I'd just buy a digital season and watch it that way.  I only just watched s10 so trying to gauge from you guys if s11 is worth it.

28 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I only just watched s10 so trying to gauge from you guys if s11 is worth it.

Same here. And Season 10 wasn't worth it. Only the monk storyline was at all good, and the ending was poor. It came off as a cheap knock-off of the finale of season 3 overall. And Bill has pretty much replaced Rose as my most disliked companion.

Spoiler

And building up a redemption arc for Missy ... only to have her killed off by her previous incarnation? Incredibly unfulfilling. The first time the Master has been remotely entertaining since Anthony Ainley played the role, and they don't give the viewers a payoff.

I've seen some good things about the first couple episodes, though in general I'm avoiding spoilers. But if the tone and style and overall feel of 11 is anything like 10, I'll be skipping it.

So far very worth it.

You should watch it.

BBCA needs to tone down the commercials. It will drive some people to piracy.

I liked the new tardis insides. Just needs some lights is all.

• Like 3

On 10/15/2018 at 3:59 PM, Zathras5 said:

I didn't like the inside of the Tardis,  too dark and dreary... I preferred the previous design better. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Kinda reminded me of Eccleston's TARDIS, and I never really liked the organic look with silly controls.  The custard cream biscuit "reward" for setting a course was just... oh god.

As for Jodie. She's OK so far, but we'll see how things go. Can't really judge her performance until the end of her first season... That's all she's got to sell me on her performance.

I'm not entirely vested into this Series yet.

It feels awkward to me. "On the edge of falling apart" awkward.

It's not the actors - they're fine - it's the presentation. The way the showrunners are presenting all of this. It almost looks "overdone".

I dunno. Moffat's era had substance (when it was good), this era seems to lack substance in favor of setting the production value to 12 and it doesn't always fit the context.

I'll give it a fair chance, though.

What a wonderful episode that was. Really enjoyed that one, and I am sure we will see that villain again later one. I seem to be identifying with Graham love his character.

• Like 2

That was an amazing episode! I loved it so much! That was just awesome!

Spoiler

I want to know just who that other time traveler was, and where he was sent. I feel a new nemesis is a possibility. Ooo Maybe Master?

BBCAM is crazy though with the commercials. 10, 10, 8, and then another 8. Makes me feel like it's really only a 30 minute show.

In some ways it felt more like an episode of Quantum Leap to me.  Anyways, I too am very curious as to where that other traveler was inadvertently sent to and what consequences will become of that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nogib said:

In some ways it felt more like an episode of Quantum Leap to me.  Anyways, I too am very curious as to where that other traveler was inadvertently sent to and what consequences will become of that.

Yes! It was very Quantum Leap in its premise and execution.

It was quite good but a little too PSA for me, BBC has a tendency to script PSA-like episodes, especially in their soaps (i.e. When drugs or suicide are prevalent in the news then there'll be an episode or story arc centering around that subject), this seemed to suffer from the same. They might as well turn to camera at the end and say "Don't be racist, mkay?"

That episode... wow

Spoiler

Giant spiders are monsters. They are not sentient creatures. If it was us or them you get a gun and you kill it! If not with a gun then a flamethrower. This anti-gun message is getting old quick.

Fricken giant mutant spiders. Blaah.

Chris Noth made a good bad guy I thought...

Spoiler

I liked that they made him a Trump rival who just wanted to be president to show him up as opposed to being some lame Trump analog. I was rolling my eyes at first.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious question... I stopped watching (just fell out of habit) in I think the first season of Capaldi (that is the last I remember). Where can I catch up to recent broadcasts? Assuming I have access to multiple streaming platforms and am American.

27 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Curious question... I stopped watching (just fell out of habit) in I think the first season of Capaldi (that is the last I remember). Where can I catch up to recent broadcasts? Assuming I have access to multiple streaming platforms and am American.

Can you get BBC America online? (that is where it is streamed) Maybe your provider has a catch up service?