[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Yeah I started to read about some of these rumors recently also. I don't know if its the BBC injecting PC stuff into the show or not (I don't think so, but hey what do I know) I think it has more to do with the BBC wanting a series a year and Chibnall saying they can't produce that. I think he means, they can produce that, but not produce QUALITY TV by doing it that way. Regardless, if Whittaker leaves with Chibnall, BBC is gonna have to do some major damage control I would imagine. They might be pushed into casting another woman (which is fine by me mind you) as the Doctor because Whittaker's run was cut short. I mean no one expected Whittaker's run to be a Eccelston run of one series basically. Even if we get her in a S12 and then she jets its still pretty crappy.

I haven't liked most of the episodes this series to be honest, I agree with the dude in the video the writing hasn't been the greatest. The overall show remains fun and I love Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor so far and I would hate to see her have to leave so fast.  The companions, eh not feeling any of them to be quite honest. Bradley Walsh actually has grown on me quite a bit since the first episode, and I didn't think I was going to like him at all. Mandip Gill is also quite good, and I wouldn't mind seeing more done with her. But they aren't (I don't think anyway) doing any of those deep, connected to the Doctor in some way, epic companion style things this series. But who knows I guess. Still have what, 4 episodes left I think? And the Xmas special or New Year's special I guess?

From what I have heard he is on for another season.

Loving it so far. My two year old was demanding I but on the Doctor, tried to show her he Caves of Androzani, she complained that the 5th was wrong and she wanted her doctor, as soon has Jodi was on screen she was happy :)

4 hours ago, BritBronco said:

From what I have heard he is on for another season.

Loving it so far. My two year old was demanding I but on the Doctor, tried to show her he Caves of Androzani, she complained that the 5th was wrong and she wanted her doctor, as soon has Jodi was on screen she was happy :)

My daughter (OK, she's 15 so a wee bit older), is the opposite way around. She thinks the classic show story lines are way better than a lot of the modern ones. Sure she still likes the modern ones, but the writing and plots in the legacy series are better as far as she's concerned.

I tend to agree.

• Like 2

The PC stuff is fine in doses, in fact it's BETTER in doses as it doesn't feel so "forced" and as such has potentially a greater impact.

I'm disgusted that the Beeb are not having a Christmas Day episode however.  It shows how little they actually care about a show that they seem to tell everyone is a tentpole show.

2 hours ago, Human.Online said:

The PC stuff is fine in doses, in fact it's BETTER in doses as it doesn't feel so "forced" and as such has potentially a greater impact.

I'm disgusted that the Beeb are not having a Christmas Day episode however.  It shows how little they actually care about a show that they seem to tell everyone is a tentpole show.

This sort of thing has happened to Dr Who throughout its history.  It's a popular show, but it's also an expensive show so the senior execs tend not to like it too much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

This sort of thing has happened to Dr Who throughout its history.  It's a popular show, but it's also an expensive show so the senior execs tend not to like it too much.

Very true, but I'm pretty sure it's also one of the BBC's biggest money spinners with all the merch and so on.

4 hours ago, margrave said:

It's just the writing that's not been on par this season.

Massive understatement.  Chibnall helming this series has to be one of the greatest mistakes they have ever made.  No, he hasn't wrote every episode but his influence is most certainly there.  Beating your viewers over the head with incessant PC virtue signalling is a surefire way to drive them away.

21 minutes ago, Nogib said:

Massive understatement.  Chibnall helming this series has to be one of the greatest mistakes they have ever made.  No, he hasn't wrote every episode but his influence is most certainly there.  Beating your viewers over the head with incessant PC virtue signalling is a surefire way to drive them away.

Absolutely.  Look, I actually agree with the sentiments he/BBC are pushing.  I'm totally on-side with them.  I dislike them being pushed so strongly in a sci-fi TV show so frequently.  Sure have them every now and then - that actually works better anyway - but it feels like the episodes are being written around them.

1 minute ago, margrave said:

So it's true there's no Christmas special this year?!

NO!

The Grinch works at BBC?!

This is horrible news!

So it's going to be a New Years Day special.  The marketing nonsense they have wrapped it in is "As this doctor ushers in a new era it is only apt that she ushers in a new year".  But come on, it was a staple of the BBC Christmas schedule and reflects how much they just don't care for Who.  Not bad enough that they bumped it to Sunday evening when it belongs on a Saturday!

7 minutes ago, LOC said:

Say what you will about the overall quality of the show or the writing, can we all agree that Alan Cummings was god damn amazing as King James? 😛

Yep.

Actually enjoyed the episode...up until the ending anyway (didn't care much for the antagonist).

I have struggled with this season and not because of the change in Doctor.  The writing has been atrocious so far and the space medical ship episode was so bad I almost gave up on the show.  I don't see things going well for the show if they keep this quality of writing...

On 11/25/2018 at 10:57 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

My daughter (OK, she's 15 so a wee bit older), is the opposite way around. She thinks the classic show story lines are way better than a lot of the modern ones. Sure she still likes the modern ones, but the writing and plots in the legacy series are better as far as she's concerned.

I tend to agree.

I concur. Watching her engage at such a young age has been interesting. She really seems to lock onto the screen when she sees Jodi. I am  Wiganer who moved to the USA 14 years ago, maybe its the accent she is spotting :)

• Like 3

Fell asleep watching it last night (not the episodes fault, I was just tired) ... I awoke to a talking frog ... whaaaaaa?

Just now finished watching the whole episode ... it was a very good one.

Got my copy of season 19 (5th Doctors first run) on bluray today. BBC have done a great job so far, 3 episodes into Castrovalva, the location footage looks fantastic :)

My 2 year old was once again unimpressed at the lack of Jodi.

2 minutes ago, Calacicus said:

I have found the recent season to be really good, its been surprising because I didn't want to like it.

i found this season really boring, it's disappointing because I really wanted to like it ... 😛

to be fair though i didn't like the capaldi doctor till the last season