[Official] Doctor Who Thread

epic first episode! Baker! Pertwee! and Tennant! and of course Matt Smith! :D

The only problem I have with the SJA is that it's only a 30 min program. Episodes with the Doctor should be longer by default :D

Dr Who has such a powerful story and is surrounded by such mystery and possibility. Its a shame its trapped in this children's genre at 7pm.

I've thought the same many times.

really enjoyed that, all the nods to all the old series and characters! :D

The BBC have issued promotional pictures for The Sarah Jane Adventures story, written by Gareth Roberts, The Empty Planet - episodes 7 and 8 in Series 4. The images feature Clyde (Daniel Anthony), Rani (Anjli Mohindra), Gavin (Joe Mason), Robots (Ruari Mears and Paul Kasey)

482504790t.jpg306029772t.jpg346380749t.jpg326897224t.jpg153937969t.jpg333744614t.jpg756110550t.jpg417518985t.jpg440570740t.jpg850558021t.jpg650835182t.jpg672380316t.jpg193906330t.jpg535968405t.jpg114170411t.jpg

The Empty Planet airs

Mon 1 & Tues 2 Nov on CBBC @ 5.15pm

Wed 3 & Thurs 4 Nov on BBC One @ 4.30pm

I find it a real shame that the SJA Dr special has more of a connection to the original Dr Who than the actual programme based around him does. Imagine a sci fi series that had a non children's version of the Dr. I imagine him to be someone very close to the Dr we occasionally see just before some stupid 3 foot silver alien appears mumbling something about "he will appear one more time" shows up then gets chased around an underground car park in Wales.

But how can the SJA Doctor episodes be any good?! RTD wrote them, he sucks rememeber?!?

it was good because thats what RTD is good at writing for children ;)

Here are some set pics showing a "New York" street from the 1960s, as recreated in Cardiff. Matt Smith and Alex Kingston were both on hand for this filming, but the pics just show the scenery. Among other things, 44th street was recreated. And there was a scene of a homeless person running past a taxi.

935169433t.jpg545922469t.jpg303839332t.jpg

Also, talking to SFX Magazine, Russell T. Davies explains why he had the Doctor tell Clyde he can regenerate 507 times:
I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads.

I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads.

I bet at the time they said that, no one ever imagined that they would get this is far in regenerations.

I bet at the time they said that, no one ever imagined that they would get this is far in regenerations.

the delivery of the line felt like the doctor was just saying an arbitrary number to satisfy the line of questioning. and 507 sound random enough for that to be the case, but once we get to 13, it gives the producers something to point to and declare retcon.

'Who' preview for 'Children in Need'

This year's Children in Need appeal show will include a new clip from the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas special, it has been confirmed.

A BBC press release has announced that the televised charity event will include "a sneak preview" of the instalment.

The festive episode will feature Harry Potter star Michael Gambon and singer Katherine Jenkins in key roles.

Last year's Children in Need also included a special Doctor Who preview clip from David Tennant's penultimate episode, 'The End of Time - Part One'.

The Children in Need event will air from 7pm on November 19 on BBC One.

Source: Digitalspy

• 2 weeks later...

The Doctor Who Complete Fifth Series box set isn?t out until next week, but the two bonus ?mini-episodes? contained within have already leaked on to Youtube. So if you really can?t wait, here they are.

Meanwhile in the TARDIS 1 -- Bridging The Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below.

Meanwhile in the TARDIS 2 -- Bridging Flesh and Stone and The Vampires of Venice.

Source: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/meanwhile-in-the-tardis-leaks-10999.htm#ixzz14dAHTD00

Matt Smith teases 'Doctor Who' Xmas ep

Doctor Who star Matt Smith has revealed more details about the show's upcoming Christmas special.

The festive instalment will feature Harry Potter star Michael Gambon and singer Katherine Jenkins in key roles.

Smith told USA Today: "I had great fun making [the episode] because obviously it was the middle of July and there's loads of fake snow. There's lots of snow, crackers and turkey, and that goes hand-in-hand with the spirit of The Doctor and Doctor Who."

He added that the special would focus heavily on The Doctor's own festive spirit.

"It's showcasing humans at their most open and giving and kind," he said. "It's everything The Doctor's about."

Smith also referred to his role on the sci-fi drama as "the greatest part I've ever played".

"What's so wonderful about playing The Doctor is it's all based on invention," he explained. "You're given this white canvas to invent and paint on, and he can be any colour. I really want to push the boundaries of this part into next year now and keep raising the bar."

The as-yet-untitled Doctor Who special will air on BBC One this Christmas.

Source: Digitalspy

"because i can't see it" i thought that was brilliant. its a shame that didn't make it into the show. the whole clip is centered on that character development.

You can enjoy a preview of the Christmas Special during Children in Need on Friday on BBC One, but the title of the episode has been revealed today. The Doctor's next adventure is entitled: A Christmas Carol.

Back in July, Ben Stephenson, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, revealed the story will be, 'Doctor Who's clever twist on the much loved A Christmas Carol' and now the title reflects that! We can enjoy a preview of the adventure on Friday, 19 November on BBC One for Children in Need and then there's less than six weeks until the episode airs.

If you can't wait until then, watch BBC One on Friday because apart from the preview of A Christmas Carol you can find out what happened when two young fans of Doctor Who had their dream come true... It's a very special treat featuring Matt Smith and continues Doctor Who's long tradition of supporting Children in Need.

A Christmas Carol reunites Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill and guest stars Michael Gambon (Harry Potter, The Singing Detective) and Katherine Jenkins. Right now we don't know much about the special, but earlier in the year, Lead Writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, confirmed, 'Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters. And the Doctor. And a honeymoon. And ... oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything!'

We'll be bringing you more details as they emerge...

Source: BBC

Copied From: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/11/doctor-who-title-of-christmas-special.html#ixzz156SnFbEy

Thanks for linking back. It really helps our site. Please leave the above link in.

The Christmas special is borrowing not just a plot from Charles Dickens, but a title as well - its title is "A Christmas Carol." Steven Moffat also offers a few tantalizing hints:
"Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters. And the Doctor. And a honeymoon. And ... oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything!"

A clip from the episode will be shown during next Friday's Children in Need appeal, which is where the show has previously aired little scenes like "Time Crash." I guess this means they're again not using my idea for an 8th Doctor comeback sketch, which is basically just five minutes of me profusely thanking an increasingly uncomfortable-looking Paul McGann. One of these days... [bBC]

Steven Moffat also confirms this series really will reveal the truth about River Song:

Well, you will find out who she is and what's going on and how it all makes sense. And that will explain a number of things. I'm writing the episode right now where the Doctor finds out who she is. We're not just going to endlessly tease.

And, more generally speaking, he explained why we shouldn't expect any companions to get the Adric treatment anytime soon:

In the old series, they did off a couple of them. I'm not saying we'll never do it, but it's not that kind of a show. It's not gritty. It's kind of a lovely, life-affirming, optimistic show without a cynical bone in its body. It's almost odd when you see it in competition with things like Battlestar Galactica, and you think, Well that's not us at all. We're the story of a wonderful man from space who can travel in a telephone box! But I'm not guaranteeing I won't kill someone in the future!

526617949.jpg

Russell T. Davies has revealed that new Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat wants to feature Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) in the show at some point in the future. Davies made the comments in an interview with IGN where he also discussed how he and Moffat exchange storyline details on future plots on Doctor Who and its spin-off shows The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood so nothing clashes between the three shows.

Well, Steven said he'd love to see Jack in Doctor Who. So if Steven says that, Steven will make it happen, I would think. That's not inside information, but I bet one day it will happen. I'd love to see it. It would be marvelous. - Russell T Davies in IGN.

The character of Captain Jack Harkness was first introduced in the first season two-part story The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances which was written by Moffat. The character appeared in five episodes of Season One and was subsequently given his own spin-off series, Torchwood. John Barrowman returned to Doctor Who as Captain Jack for the three-part series three finale and the two-part series four finale. He also had a cameo appearance in David Tennant's final story as the 10th Doctor, The End of Time.

As fans will already be aware Torchwood is due to return next year for a new ten-part series which will see Barrowman reprise his role of Captain Jack once more with Eve Myles back as Gwen Cooper. It's unlikely therefore we will see Jack back in Doctor Who anytime soon but with both Torchwood and Who filming in America next year who knows?