[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Very good opener, can't wait for the rest, I wonder who'll replace Jenna when she does go at Christmas.

Or maybe some solo Dr for a while...Matt did a solo stint for a half season or so didn't he when lost Amy and Rory?

Or maybe some solo Dr for a while...Matt did a solo stint for a half season or so didn't he when lost Amy and Rory?

No they bowed out in 7x05, Clara was in 7x06. A big point has been made about the doctor not being alone but I'd like to see it happen it worked out great in The Deadly Assassin.

Edited by Son_Of_Dad

It was a great start for the season! I can't wait to see the next one! Hate 2 part-ers though... demands patience. It stings.

I think it could be better for the series as it will limit the amount of "bad guys" preventing over use, remember that in the original Who they only had 5 or 6 stories per season because they were all (majority) 4 or 6 episodes

Interesting, I actually found the first episode to be pretty boring, It looks like it has potential to be a good season but not a lot seemed to happen throughout.

I've not really enjoyed Dr Who as much since the Ponds left and then even less since Capaldi took over.

I think it could be better for the series as it will limit the amount of "bad guys" preventing over use, remember that in the original Who they only had 5 or 6 stories per season because they were all (majority) 4 or 6 episodes

Pretty much, Daleks will not be used.

That was... interesting. But like someone said, I had two parts episodes so lets see what next week brings  :p .

Scirwode

I want to know how missy survived !

The vortex device she had strapped to her wrist, or the Daleks/Davros bluffing. Did you notice both her and Clara vanished rather than leaving a body? Dalek guns always leave a body IIRC.

The vortex device she had strapped to her wrist, or the Daleks/Davros bluffing. Did you notice both her and Clara vanished rather than leaving a body? Dalek guns always leave a body IIRC.

Oh sorryI mean from the previous episode :p !

Really didn't have much hope for the first episode, but it was better than every episode in Season 8. Good start to the season :)

Nice to see the Shadow Proclamation with the same woman. And of course, Davros returning.

The only thing that does annoy me is how they don't address how Missy survived. Just "Yeah I survived, get over it'. That's twice now since they never explained it in the finale last season. 

They did sort of explain the Missy thing. The Doctor lied and just made it seem like he killed her, that's how he knew how to get the disc to her. I assume they'll elaborate on it more later.

They did sort of explain the Missy thing. The Doctor lied and just made it seem like he killed her, that's how he knew how to get the disc to her. I assume they'll elaborate on it more later.

Maybe they wont explain it :o
Maybe it's retribution for the whole "How did Sherlock survive" fan w**k that went around. 

What I didn't understand: Davros was searching for the doctor - Bors was the Doctor's Dalek duplicate friend who was 'partying' with him for three weeks. Surely Davros wouldn't have needed Colony Sarff to search for him as Bors had already found him?

• Like 2

The only thing that does annoy me is how they don't address how Missy survived. Just "Yeah I survived, get over it'. That's twice now since they never explained it in the finale last season. 

She's the Master. Surviving apparent death is a habit for her. Back when Ainley was in the role he apparently died at the end of nearly every appearance, only to show up fine the following season.

Sonic sunglasses are fine for an episode, but would be horrible for any more than just the one.

Wearable tech for the Doctor would be laughable. Did they learn nothing from how they DIDN'T sell? Interest is nil. 

What I didn't understand: Davros was searching for the doctor - Bors was the Doctor's Dalek duplicate friend who was 'partying' with him for three weeks. Surely Davros wouldn't have needed Colony Sarff to search for him as Bors had already found him?

+1

Sonic sunglasses are fine for an episode, but would be horrible for any more than just the one.

Wearable tech for the Doctor would be laughable. Did they learn nothing from how they DIDN'T sell? Interest is nil. 

I think the glasses were just part of this episode, seeing how the screwdriver was part of the initial plot (how he threw it to davros), but then this was changed in the last episode when he decided to help him in the end of the episode to show "mercy".

Sonic sunglasses are here again. BOO!

Shark = Jumped.

/sadpanda

I liked their use - a scanner/HUD display/remote camera. It made far more sense than waving the screwdriver at something and pretending to read a display. I'd say use the glasses for things like that, and the screwdriver for picking locks, working screws, detonating marsh gas.

I think there's room for both, and the glasses made more sense in the context of what Doctor Who was actually doing.

I liked their use - a scanner/HUD display/remote camera. It made far more sense than waving the screwdriver at something and pretending to read a display. I'd say use the glasses for things like that, and the screwdriver for picking locks, working screws, detonating marsh gas.

I think there's room for both, and the glasses made more sense in the context of what Doctor Who was actually doing.

Yeh I'd kinda agree, but part of the Dr's tech is that he's always had a screwdriver. Seems kinda wrong to get rid of it, but as we've seen in this episode the glasses do have some useful extra features, hard to call.

But I don't think I'd want him to have both, I think the 1 "wonder" device that does it all is much more Dr-esque.

Yeh I'd kinda agree, but part of the Dr's tech is that he's always had a screwdriver. Seems kinda wrong to get rid of it, but as we've seen in this episode the glasses do have some useful extra features, hard to call.

But I don't think I'd want him to have both, I think the 1 "wonder" device that does it all is much more Dr-esque.

No he hasn't. It was introduced, as a gag, in the last Troughton story back in 1969, and became an occasional tool for Pertwee. Then it was destroyed in the Davison era and he, Colin and Sylvester did without one. Then it was brought back for the movie and new series.

It didn't become Doctor Who's All Purpose Magic Fix-It Wand until the new series. That overuse makes me wish it would go away.

I've bought the doctor's different screwdrivers, I will not be buying some silly sunglasses.

On a shelf of sonic screwdrivers, a pair of sunglasses does not belong. One of those things is not like the other. One of those things does NOT belong.

To me it feels just like someone requested that something new be added for marketability, and the new wearable market sounded just right.

It doesn't feel like Doctor Who to me. I'm very disappointed in them. Makes me feel like they're out of ideas.

Hate the glasses. What's next to 'update' the show? Fix the camo circuit, and change the Tardis from a phone box?

If the Sonic screwdriver has been with the Doctor sine 1969 that's still a good 46 years dangit!

• Like 1