[Official] Doctor Who Thread

I'd like to see more of the Shadow Proclamation.

Yes! Mentioned through out all the seasons, and final get to see them in "Stolen Earth", hopefully we'll see again

The show was just filming at Llancaiach Fawr Manor, which can easily pass for a building in 1645, and usually has guides who pretend to be living in the 17th century. The windows were blacked out for interior shooting, so the filming was probably for night-time interior scenes. Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill were there, and speculation has it the filming was for the "Vampires Of Venice" episode. And an unconfirmed report says Honor Blackman was there too. Also, there's rumor/speculation that the new companion Amy has "psychic clothing" that magically looks like authentic clothing for whatever historical period she visits, but we, the audience, see her wearing a miniskirt. Really. Photos by Ahremsee. [GallifreyBase]

I wish there was a bit more continuity for me to grab onto. Following the last regeneration we still had the same Tardis and Rose to keep things on track but now its a completely new series. I know these things have to happen but Id have felt much better about it all if Jack or Martha had been with him for a few episodes.

I wish there was a bit more continuity for me to grab onto. Following the last regeneration we still had the same Tardis and Rose to keep things on track but now its a completely new series. I know these things have to happen but Id have felt much better about it all if Jack or Martha had been with him for a few episodes.

Yeah, cos that logic has worked so well on the latest season of Scrubs.../sarcasm.

From reading the stuff on GalifreyBase.com, the general consensus seems to be that Moffat is bringing a smarter Doctor Who to us. By that, no farting aliens, burping trashcans, blatant gay jokes etc. Theres an interesting thread there which supposes that because the Doctor is such an old, wise man his youthful looks in the latest regeneration is going to work against him somewhat since people might not take him as serious as they did the 10th Doctor. In which case, I'm VERY curious how they utilise him but it also sheds sense onto Moffat's comment when they were interviewing where they wanted someone who could "act the part of a 900 year old". Hopefully then Matt Smith will bring some hot headedness and temper which we've not seen before!

From reading the stuff on GalifreyBase.com, the general consensus seems to be that Moffat is bringing a smarter Doctor Who to us. By that, no farting aliens, burping trashcans, blatant gay jokes etc.

But Doctor Who has always been cheesy. Will people buy a smart Doctor with no cheese? Look what happened to Colin Baker when they tried to change the formula.

The BBC has received around 150 complaints after the new Dr Who made a remark about people with ginger hair.

Matt Smith is the latest actor to play the Time Lord after "regenerating" from David Tennant in the New Year's Day episode and his first words have upset many viewers.

"I've still got legs. Arms, hands, lots of fingers, eyes, hair," said Smith, 27, after his regeneration.

"I'm not a doll. I'm still not ginger," he cried.

But the BBC has insisted that the character intended this as a statement of regret not relief, saying the popular series was not pursuing an "anti-ginger agenda" after parents of red-headed children complained.

A statement from the corporation said: "We would like to reassure viewers that Doctor Who doesn't have an anti-ginger agenda whatsoever.

"This was a reprise of the line in the Christmas Invasion episode in 2005, when David Tennant discovers that he's not ginger, and here he is, missing out again - disappointed he's still not ginger."

The statement added: "In addition, the Doctor's previous companion, Donna Noble, (Catherine Tate) and his new one Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) are both redheads."

Source

The BBC has received around 150 complaints after the new Dr Who made a remark about people with ginger hair.

My gosh, don't people have anything better to do than complain about silly little stuff like this.

Jeez, David Tennant's Doctor made a comment in the Christmas Invasion about not being ginger! GET OVER IT my lord....

*Edit - Heh, I only read the first couple of lines. Didn't see the story actually mentioned the Christmas Invasion thing :D

• 2 weeks later...

i know its been a while, but i was just rewatching the 9th to 10th regeneration, and the way the doctor explained his regeneration to rose made it seem as if regeneration was normal thing like puberty or metamorphosis or something... and i quote, "i changed every single cell in my body, but it's still me." but that really isn't very consistent with the whole existential crisis he has when facing his next regeneration. although it made for good drama, the way the dialogue with wilfred was written so that he considers regeneration as "some other man running off", davies seems to have implied that each incarnation of the doctor see's himself as his own separate individual rather than just the next manifestation of a singular being/consciousness. furthermore, the idea that he doesn't want to regenerate because he still could do great things suggests an ego that thinks that he could do better than any other incarnation as if they were and will be completely different people that couldnt be depended upon; it feels a bit dismissive. i get that there is a sort of recognition in the writing that we all hate to see david go, but i think its all at the expense of some of the little continuity the character has from one incarnation to the next. it might be nitpicky but its something that's been bothering me for a while now, and i'm hoping its just a personality quirk of the 10th doctor rather than becoming part of the canon of regeneration. i think i'd like to see moffat explain the psychology of it all a little bit more. it would be weird if the doctor has continued consciousness and memories through regeneration yet completely drop the issue after its been dragged on for 3 specials.

as for matt smith's doctor, judging from what i've read here, it feels like a play on the midlife crisis after the all the dark, dwelling on death. but instead of a buying a ferrari he's younger, and with a catch phrase like geronimo, i'm guessing more of an adrenaline junkie than usual.

I agree that the last few specials and regeneration were written in a different style to Doc 9's regen. I assume this, as you stated, was to reflect the general mood of the viewer ship who were not looking forward to 10 regeneration, not only this but also the fact that the team behind it has significantly changed.

The change of production team probably has a lot to do with the fact there is no link between 10 and 11, different companion/tardis/logo/feel i wouldn't even be surprised to find a new recording of the theme.

x2xBJ.jpg

As if to confirm that Doctor Who is undergoing some major, major changes with its fifth series this year, Billie Piper has revealed that she won't be returning to the series.

The actress, who played the Doctor's companion (and love interest) Rose Tyler throughout the revived series, is busy starring in Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and has no intentions of reprising her role as Rose.

"I think it's done now, isn't it? I think that ship has sailed. That old, wooden ship!" Piper told DigitalSpy.

The massive changeover that the show has undergone is also a factor in her decision not to return. "I really loved doing it, but Doctor Who has moved on ? it's different people, different crew, different production team and I can't keep going back. It's ridiculous! It's time to move on?"

She's talking, of course, about the departure of showrunner Russell T. Davies, who was replaced by writer Steven Moffat, as well as the fact that star David Tennant is gone. Tennant wasn't Piper's first Doctor; her first was Tennant's predecessor, Christopher Eccleston. However, she spent more time working with Tennant; she appeared as his regular companion throughout series two, and then recurred in the final two episodes of the fourth series. Her most recent and final appearance was in the final moments of "The End of Time," right before the dying Doctor entered his TARDIS to regenerate.

"I hate it that he's left!" the 27-year-old actress said of Tennant, before admitting that she hasn't seen Tennant's heartbreaking final scene yet. "I haven't seen it yet! I went away for Christmas and New Year and it's a bit weird trying to sly off and watch an episode of Doctor Who on my own! I definitely will, though," she confessed.

But Piper certainly has no hard feelings against Tennant's successor, Matt Smith. He appeared with her on Call Girl, and according to Piper, they know each other "really well." "I love him and I think he's such a brilliant actor," Piper said. "The role couldn't have gone to a better guy. He's capable of that. He's got big shoes to fill, but I'm certain he can do it."

Source