any news on updating Apple Cinema Displays?

does anyone know of any news on the next major update on Apple Cinema Displays??? Ive been googlin' around for answers and all i find is that old rumor that they'll be upgraded back in Jan 2007 with the integrated iSight. Obviously that didnt happen. No one has been talkin about it for ages! and I have a feeling in their next update, they will make the screens glossy since the new iMacs are all glossy.

I think Apple is waiting until they can feasibly offer a display greater than 30''. If and when that happens, I think the new Cinema Displays will also feature an integrated iSight camera, a glossy display and perhaps a FireWire 800 port.

The Cinema Displays will stay matte as they are a Pro product. I doubt they will come with an integrated iSight for the same reasons the Mac Pros don't come with an Apple Remote.

Yes, they really do need to come out with new displays since the current ones don't support HDCP.

They don't need to do they, unless you've got BD and HD-DVD content going to them from a drive?

As no Macs yet have BD and HD-DVD drives...

The Cinema Displays will stay matte as they are a Pro product. I doubt they will come with an integrated iSight for the same reasons the Mac Pros don't come with an Apple Remote.

What are the reasons that the Mac Pro doesn't include an Apple Remote?

What are the reasons that the Mac Pro doesn't include an Apple Remote?

I think it's because it's a Pro machine- one for editing, developing, creating, etc. It's not meant to be a machine you watch movies on and need a remote for. I might be wrong, but that's what I think (Y)

^Does the MBP have remote?

Yes we do. The reason for that is because presentations could be controlled through the Apple Remote. Being an laptop, it would only make sense to include one.

Its likely the new Cinemas will feature a metal/glass screen like the new iMacs. I suspect they will be indentical aside from a mucher thinner rear. Same as the iMac meaning builtin iSight and microphone as well.

I heard rumors of replacing the 23 with a 24 and the 30 with a 32. But my sources start and end with me, so is it trustworthy? Absolutely.

I think Apple has probably been able to get a display larger than 30'', but the problem is that the current 30'' requires a specialized type of graphics card, does it not? Any larger display may require an even more powerful graphics card.

I think it's because it's a Pro machine- one for editing, developing, creating, etc. It's not meant to be a machine you watch movies on and need a remote for. I might be wrong, but that's what I think (Y)

You would be correct.

What feature could they add to the displays at this moment? None...

They must be waiting for more LED displays manufacturers, they're rare these days...

In theory, they could add an integrated iSight camera...

What feature could they add to the displays at this moment? None...

? Refresh the design a bit

? Add an iSight camera

? Give people the option to choose a glossy screen (as everyone seems to love it so much according to Jobs)

? Bump the resolutions like they have done with the MacBook Pro

? Bump the screen sizes: Maybe 24" instead of 23", 32" instead of 30" etc.

Not sure what else people would be expectijusti>just a display after all.

Waiting for LED panels doesn't strike me as very logical. They haven't done this with the 17" MacBook Pro, nor the iMac. And frankly I think it's going to be a while before Apple will be able to implement 24" and beyond LED lit LCD screens at a normal price.

? Give people the option to choose a glossy screen (as everyone seems to love it so much according to Jobs)

There won't be an option, glossy will be mandatory, because Jobs knows what everyone likes, and glossy is it.

Obviously he doesn't know what I like, and perhaps Professional clients that are against glossy screens for post production.

There won't be an option, glossy will be mandatory, because Jobs knows what everyone likes, and glossy is it.

Given the fact that they do offer the option to MacBook Pro users, I don't see a reason why they won't with potentially new Cinema Displays. Only time will learn of course.

i am so sure they will give users the possibility to choose.

i mean... if you buy a cinema display for media-purposes, and i know some people who did, a glossy display is best, you might also be someone who does not produce, edit, whatsoever but want a cinema display just for the hell of it and because your macbook is glossy you get a glossy CD too...

and i am sure they will add an isight camera, since its ment for "video conference via ichat", you know... pretty professional, at least ment to be. ;)

but then again i dont really care because the mac pro would not be my choice, rather a macbook pro since i like to be able to carry things around. :)

- Okay for the iSight... then what, they would discontinue their big model of iSight, or they would leave it there for PC users? And in theory... if you are a Professional user, you don't really need this iSight for work...

- The screen resolution is quite high already I believe, we want to be able to see something on our screen.

- Okay for the screen sizes, even if 32 inch is crazy... lol

- What could they visually improve?

- Okay for glossy and matte

I'm still convinced sure he's waiting for more DEL manufacturers to update them

- Okay for the iSight... then what, they would discontinue their big model of iSight, or they would leave it there for PC users? And in theory... if you are a Professional user, you don't really need this iSight for work...

They already discontinued the stand-alone iSight. In most countries anyway, if not all.

Ever heard conference calling? And as a professional user, you don't think you would do the occasional web browsing, (video)chat with friends and family, shoot a casual picture from time to time? Or do you expect them to buy an iMac as well, just for these purposes?

- The screen resolution is quite high already I believe, we want to be able to see something on our screen.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard has a resolution independent UI, so being able to see something won't be a problem anymore. Next to that Apple seems to disagree with you, looking at the 17" MacBook Pro. It comes with the option to equip it with a panel that offers the same resolution as the 23" Cinema Display or 24" iMac.

- Okay for the screen sizes, even if 32 inch is crazy... lol

That's what people said when the 30" model was first introduced.

- What could they visually improve?

People ask that same question every time a new product is about to be released. Apple always finds a way.

Apple no longer sells iSight as a standalone product. So professionals with Cinema Displays who want to videoconference are out of luck if they want Apple hardware.

I wonder how many MacBook Pro buyers choose a glossy display over matte. While I know many people prefer matte, I'm sure there'd be substantial demand for glossy Cinema Displays. For certain purposes glossy is better.

Bumping up the displays' resolution seems inevitable. Why else would Apple be developing a resolution independent UI? The question is: when?

EDIT: .Neo beat me to it.