AutoPatcher no longer allowed

AS I have said already

why dont we all at once sign in for MS updates and throw them in to a spin because

do you think thier servers could handle everyone in the world doing a update at the same time...

I bet not

thats why they will soon realize that its better having an offsite download CD or something like autopatcher

Yes, the servers would handle it. The number of AP users, while significant, isn't large enough to DDoS Microsoft.

so can you tell me some stats on who uses MS then

explain to everyone then what would make them rethink the use of autopatcher

even if it doesnt have any other software except the updates in autopatcher..

thanks

Ok, my first post here and I'm going to say something anti-Microsoft. Imagine that.

A few post-pages back someone jokingly said that soon you probably won't be able to install anything but MS software on your Windows PC. IMO I don't see this as a joke. Instead, I feel pretty confident that this is the long-term goal of MS, one they are implementing slowly, 'under the radar', but surely.

I've seen instance after instance where the software Gods (Microsoft) have done similar things before.

I could list several (tcp limits in XP and Vista) but I would start to wander off-topic, so I'll resist.

If only someone would come up with an easier-to-use, general public friendly Linux-based OS. That would show those b**tards!

Ok, my first post here and I'm going to say something anti-Microsoft. Imagine that.

A few post-pages back someone jokingly said that soon you probably won't be able to install anything but MS software on your Windows PC. IMO I don't see this as a joke. Instead, I feel pretty confident that this is the long-term goal of MS, one they are implementing slowly, 'under the radar', but surely.

I've seen instance after instance where the software Gods (Microsoft) have done similar things before.

I could list several (tcp limits in XP and Vista) but I would start to wander off-topic, so I'll resist.

If only someone would come up with an easier-to-use, general public friendly Linux-based OS. That would show those b**tards!

LMAO OK, but really i think everyone learnt their lesson from apples mistakes of the past

If that's the case, then it must be REALLY slowly because my computer still seems pretty free (as in freedom). At this rate, by the time Microsoft gets around to locking out their competitors, it'll be the 50th or so release of Windows.

Is there any place we can find/share links for Autopatcher

Although the mirrors still exist, we cannot tell you where on here as it would go against the fact we had to take the links away to start with.

Have a search around on google. the phrase Autopater download mirrors, should do the trick ;)

Although be carefull that the download you get is genuine and not something you where not expecting...

i don't think he understand's what your saying, since he just said it would be nice if everyone could speak in turkish :p

Edited by bmaher
removed quote which no longer exists

Great I used AutoPatcher again and then found out it's banned

Now I have no internet on 2nd XP computer

The IPC$ security tweak from what I've Googled

tools/undo just puts up blank box ,how do I get something in there to reverse it ?

AutoPatcher 5

Win XP SP2

re booted and had internet for a few minutes then all browsers report connection errors

clock will update though and weather utility also ?!

Any one else had this problem and fixed it ?

Great I used AutoPatcher again and then found out it's banned

Now I have no internet on 2nd XP computer

The IPC$ security tweak from what I've Googled

tools/undo just puts up blank box ,how do I get something in there to reverse it ?

AutoPatcher 5

Win XP SP2

re booted and had internet for a few minutes then all browsers report connection errors

clock will update though and weather utility also ?!

Any one else had this problem and fixed it ?

I am not 100% sure what you are saying mate, however support for Autopatcher is no longer aloud on Neowin, as the product itself is not aloud.

I am not 100% sure what you are saying mate, however support for Autopatcher is no longer aloud on Neowin, as the product itself is not aloud.

You mean its not "allowed". Ok, I just asked, see this

<snipped>

Edited by bmaher
removed links

There is. It's called OSX

anyway, there are at least 3 alternatives to autopatcher, maybe more.

There is. It's called OSX

anyway, there are at least 3 alternatives to autopatcher, maybe more.

Actually, OSX is UNIX-based, not Linux based... it uses the XNU kernel which is a Mach/FreeBSD combination...

Anyways, AutoPatcher will be back - legally.

he added that Windows Update for pre-Vista versions of Windows can now be accessed using Firefox

What kind of B.S. is that statement. Yea! Only if you install the ActiveX plugin into Firefox.

That's why I use Firefox. No ActiveX, No Security Holes!

The lose of Autopatcher is a major setback to the community.

I do in home service of computers and many of my customers only have dial-up access because there is no other service available in their areas due to region disputes between cable and phone companies.

So the Autopatcher was a needed tool to keep my customer's updated.

Microsoft just put another nail in it's coffin. Then they wonder why more and more people are talking about and using other O.S.'s like Mac's and Linux.

Microsoft. The Big Bully of the World.

DeadRider

Actually, OSX is UNIX-based, not Linux based... it uses the XNU kernel which is a Mach/FreeBSD combination...

Anyways, AutoPatcher will be back - legally.

I'm not sure with whom @ MS the autopatcher team is in communication... I do know there is a legal / authorized way to become a re-distributor for the hotfixes/patches/updates/optional components as indicated on the MS Sites... I will be starting an inquiry for my own purposes in the immediate future to discover what terms and conditions MS requires for such and arrangement. Will let you know what MS has to say to someone who is not a member of the AP team and may be taking a different route through MS's heirarchy.

Something tells me that by having AutoPatcher split into two components... AP for just MS components, AP Options for everything else would satisfy their concern for integrity while allowing a single download for a "core" module. I may be wrong, but there are definite advantages with this technique over a "wget" type batch downloader strategy.

Maybe that there is no alternative than the later, but then again, why would there be an authorized path to becoming a re-distributor if only distribution can occur from the MS Update / Download servers?...

In other words, MS fails to encourage/authorize/ensure quality and security with alternative patch management by not having a readily accessible path and thus forces "roll your own" / fly by night / script kiddie improvisations which can and will be distributed via file sharing networks. Thus, MS is actually creating an environment that encourages malware by not having accessible / authorized / high quality alternative patch management systems working with them towards the overall goal of providing a more secure computing environment for MS users. This is the very reason MS sent the C&D, which could not be more contrary to it's stated intention.

Does MS strategy in regards to alternative patch management completely defy logic or what?....

I'm not sure with whom @ MS the autopatcher team is in communication... I do know there is a legal / authorized way to become a re-distributor for the hotfixes/patches/updates/optional components as indicated on the MS Sites... I will be starting an inquiry for my own purposes in the immediate future to discover what terms and conditions MS requires for such and arrangement. Will let you know what MS has to say to someone who is not a member of the AP team and may be taking a different route through MS's heirarchy.

Something tells me that by having AutoPatcher split into two components... AP for just MS components, AP Options for everything else would satisfy their concern for integrity while allowing a single download for a "core" module. I may be wrong, but there are definite advantages with this technique over a "wget" type batch downloader strategy.

Maybe that there is no alternative than the later, but then again, why would there be an authorized path to becoming a re-distributor if only distribution can occur from the MS Update / Download servers?...

In other words, MS fails to encourage/authorize/ensure quality and security with alternative patch management by not having a readily accessible path and thus forces "roll your own" / fly by night / script kiddie improvisations which can and will be distributed via file sharing networks. Thus, MS is actually creating an environment that encourages malware by not having accessible / authorized / high quality alternative patch management systems working with them towards the overall goal of providing a more secure computing environment for MS users. This is the very reason MS sent the C&D, which could not be more contrary to it's stated intention.

Does MS strategy in regards to alternative patch management completely defy logic or what?....

Antonis posted on AutoPatcher.com detailing what's going to happen next, and having been approached by the team to help because of personnel changes I have a further insight. AutoPatcher will be moving to a more "web-oriented" structure - You'll download a small binary from AutoPatcher.com, which will contain a downloader. This downloader will then retrieve script files from a central repository, which will contain instructions for the downloader to compile AutoPatcher modules. These script files will download the Microsoft files directly from Microsoft's servers. These modules are then stored exactly as before, meaning you download once, run anywhere just like with the 'old' AutoPatcher.

http://www.autopatcher.com/137 - Antonis' blog entry on it.