Rumor: Microsoft Payoff = No PS3 Bioshock

egmscan.jpg

This month?s EGM brought some disheartening news for PS3 owners:

?By now you?ve probably heard of the 360 first-person underwater adventure game BioShock. or read about it. Or (If you?re smart) finished it. But for the uninformed: Would you kindly go play it already? Thanks. Just don?t expect to play it on the Playstation 3. See, my spies let slip that Microsoft handed publisher 2k a mammoth moneyhat to keep BioShock out of Sony?s waters. And the extra content originally planned for the PS3 version? You just might see that on a potential Game of the Year edition for the 360.?

Guess we?ll have to settle for the PC version or pick up a 360.

Is anyone else disheartened about this practice? I plan on getting a 360 and all, but the fact that Microsoft is literally just shelling out money to keep exclusive rights on just about everything seems to be a little crappy to the gaming scene as a whole. I understand developers keeping software off of the PS3 due to the lower sales rates (compared to other current-gen consoles), but when a company with a hell of a lot of money starts paying off publishing companies for exclusives, is that really fair to the gaming scene? What do you think?

Here?s a scan if you?re interested. Click to zoom. It?s two different shades because the paragraph started on one part of the page and went through to another.

Source: http://www.cityeyesphoto.com/blog/2007/09/...o-ps3-bioshock/

No matter whats gone on behind the scenes I think its highly unlikely the PS3 will see Bioshock.

Good stuff imo. As much as I like to see multiplatform games, I also like to have exclusives which make buying the console worth itself. Same goes for a few of the PS3 exclusives, I wouldn't like to see them on the Wii or 360 either.

Nothing that I wouldn't expect really. Isn't it typical business practice anymore? People throwing checks left and right to persuade companies into producing for them? The beautiful thing is: more than one company resides on this planet to produce games. Makes you wonder what companies would be where today if check writing wasn't a key factor in determining who produces for what platform. :shiftyninja:

<offtopic> Who in the heck keeps rating all these topics one star? Seriously, it's annoying! </offtopic>

Anyways, I like competition so I'd rather see this on the XBOX and the PS3 but eh, Microsoft likes to keep things away from Sony just like Sony likes to keep things away from Microsoft.

God...thats well gay! smart move my MS thou! Sadly i aint really got a good enough PC to play this game!

How is it "gay"? Way to show your intelligence there.

i think Playstation (1, 2, 3 or psp) owners doesn't expect FPS anyway... Action Games like Syphon Filter, or like Brute Force are easier to play on the gamepad and make more sense to release those than a FPS. Check Top selling games for the older Generation Ps2 and Xbox1 . Almost all the FPS were for Xbox .

Games were fun when it was just Sega and Nintendo around. Games came out for each system and the only exclusive games were made by Sega or Nintendo.

Game 'X' for your Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega Game Gear, and Nintendo Game Boy. :laugh:

Exclusives are fine when developrs decide who they want to be loyal to. But when companys like Microsoft throw loads of money to companies like Rockstar for GTA4 Xbox exclusive content and now money to get Bioshock as an exclusive it spoils it for the gamers.

The only reason they throw money out left right and center is to get one up over Sony, they dont care about the gamers.

How is it "gay"? Way to show your intelligence there.

wow are u really serious? are you tryin to slag me because i said it was gay? Its just a sayin lol stop takin it so serious!

Exclusives are fine when developrs decide who they want to be loyal to. But when companys like Microsoft throw loads of money to companies like Rockstar for GTA4 Xbox exclusive content and now money to get Bioshock as an exclusive it spoils it for the gamers.

The only reason they throw money out left right and center is to get one up over Sony, they dont care about the gamers.

As Ji@nBing already said, MS are not the only ones to do this. Nintendo and Sony are culprits too. It's how the gaming market works and has done for the past 10 or so years.

Your logic doesn't directly apply.

you are assuming that the GTA4 xtras for the 360 would be made anyway. While reality is that once GTA4 was done, rockstar would probably have moved on to creating the next GTA4 engine based game (like Vice city and SA are GTa3 based games).

SO instead the argument could be made that because MS cares about "their" gamers they pay Rockstar to make addtional content or downloadable content for the xbox360 version to extend the life of it. And of course since MS bank rolled this content, they don't want the same content to be released on the PS3. that wouldn't make any sense, they're paying to get the content for their console and for teir gamers.

Anyway hadn't the Bioshock devs allready debunked any rumors that there ever would e a PS3 version long before this so called MS payoff ?

Your logic doesn't directly apply.

you are assuming that the GTA4 xtras for the 360 would be made anyway. While reality is that once GTA4 was done, rockstar would probably have moved on to creating the next GTA4 engine based game (like Vice city and SA are GTa3 based games).

SO instead the argument could be made that because MS cares about "their" gamers they pay Rockstar to make addtional content or downloadable content for the xbox360 version to extend the life of it. And of course since MS bank rolled this content, they don't want the same content to be released on the PS3. that wouldn't make any sense, they're paying to get the content for their console and for teir gamers.

Anyway hadn't the Bioshock devs allready debunked any rumors that there ever would e a PS3 version long before this so called MS payoff ?

I agree, when it comes down to extras its up to whoever "asks" the developers to make it.

The thing in this case is Bioshock ISN'T a 360 exclusive. It came out on the PC. MS have just paid to keep Bioshock off the PS3, not to keep it as an "exclusive".

Bioshock was tipped numerous times to be coming to the PS3 so you can speculate it was on its way till MS paid off 2k. Unlike a true exclusive game which would have no intentions of going anywhere else at all.

Due to the fact its on the PC as well makes this whole thing not as much as a problem for gamers anyway - Gamers without a 360 obviously.

wow are u really serious? are you tryin to slag me because i said it was gay? Its just a sayin lol stop takin it so serious!

I'm not going to make this a big unrelated argument, but I'd hardly call that a "saying".