The Mind Reader

A woman that I work with sent this to me 5 mins ago. I figured it out in about 5 seconds, but she doesn't get it. Even after I explained how it works, she still doesn't understand how it "reads your mind"

Have a go at it folks.. :)

seems like only certain numbers are possibilities...and those numbers all have the same symbol...it just changes it each time...

The digits added together of each 10's, e.g. 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, and all the other 90's all equal 81 with their respective digits subtracted, you'll find this is true for each remaining ones. And this leaves the layout with the symbol you're going to choose in a diagonal layout with a couple extra occurences of it ;)

Damnit, I was going insane until I read kjordan2001s explaination :wacko:

Heh, yeah, I kept going for weird explanations like there was a java applet tracking what I put my mouse over since I kept putting my mouse on the numbers, but when I didn't start doing that, I got suspicious and tried to figure out the pattern...and of course it was the number thing...unless it's really just reading our minds like Spyder says :ninja: :alien: :blink:

Heh, yeah, I kept going for weird explanations like there was a java applet tracking what I put my mouse over since I kept putting my mouse on the numbers, but when I didn't start doing that, I got suspicious

HAHAHA, that's exactly what I was doing! :laugh: :laugh:

Heh, yeah, I kept going for weird explanations like there was a java applet tracking what I put my mouse over since I kept putting my mouse on the numbers, but when I didn't start doing that, I got suspicious and tried to figure out the pattern...and of course it was the number thing...unless it's really just reading our minds like Spyder says    

:laugh: i was thinking the same thing too.

The digits added together of each 10's, e.g. 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, and all the other 90's all equal 81 with their respective digits subtracted, you'll find this is true for each remaining ones. And this leaves the layout with the symbol you're going to choose in a diagonal layout with a couple extra occurences of it ;)

In other words, the answer will always be a multiple of 9, eg 81, 72, 63......9 and that is the symbol. Nothing hugely complicated about that

eg:- Take number 43 then subtract 4 then 3 leaving 36

As that is a multiple of 9 it will have the same symbol as 9 and this is the symbol revealed when you click the box

Hope this clears up any confusion

Oh btw, some of the posts above asking for help are probably sarcastic ones, but ah! I've given a more simple solution

cool. i really have to figure out how it works. its driving me nuts.

I already posted the solution ;)

hi kjordan2001!

can you please interia74@msn.com me the solution or post it here, please.

Look up a ways, I already posted it :ninja: :wacko:

yes, i know its a number thing. but how does it work :unsure: exectly.

It's easy... don't mind what number you think.. the mathematical procedure always will return one of these numbers: 0, 9, 18, 27, 36, 42, 45, 54, 63, 70. 72, 75, 80 or 81...

If you're observative... the simbol on these numbers.. is the same!!.. when you start again the game, the simbols changes, ;)

jojo.. easy... :)

uhmm,, sorry for my english... :blink:

hi kjordan2001!

hi kjordan2001!

When you subtract the digits from each set of 10's, it comes out to be the same number for each set:

99 - 9 - 9 = 81

98 - 9 - 8 = 81

97 - 9 - 7 = 81

90 - 9 - 0 = 81

89 - 8 - 9 = 72

88 - 8 - 8 = 72

87 - 8 - 7 = 72

80 - 8 - 0 = 72

and so on...and as ramesees pointed out, all multiples of 9, so that's the reason why they're in a diagonal shape. Just look at the diagonal, it's a different symbol each time, but it's still there.

It's easy... don't mind what number you think.. the mathematical procedure always will return one of these numbers: 0, 9, 18, 27, 36, 42, 45, 54, 63, 70. 72, 75, 80 or 81...

If you're observative... the simbol on these numbers.. is the same!!.. when you start again the game, the simbols changes, ;)

jojo.. easy... :)

uhmm,, sorry for my english... :blink:

cool thanks! that makes sense.

lol i figured it out in the first 5 seconds. :no:

I figured it out pretty quick, but as a programmer (wanna-be), I looked for something that would be hidden inside, such as someone moving a mouse over (which I'm guessing most people did) But it turned out to be simple mathematics :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
I figured it out pretty quick, but as a programmer (wanna-be), I looked for something that would be hidden inside, such as someone moving a mouse over (which I'm guessing most people did) But it turned out to be simple mathematics :rolleyes:

I didnt, and it gave me something wrong :p