-HELP- Web Hosting + Domain

I'm planning on cancelling my current account with my web hosting.

What happens with my domain once I cancel ?

How do I relink my domain to my new webhost ?

If the domain is paid for by me, how do I "manage" it ?

Your registrar should have a management page which lets you change settings.

Once you've signed up with the new host, log into your registrar's control panel and change the nameservers to those of your new host (they are usually ns1/ns2.newhosturl.com (although they do vary))

Your registrar should have a management page which lets you change settings.

Once you've signed up with the new host, log into your registrar's control panel and change the nameservers to those of your new host (they are usually ns1/ns2.newhosturl.com (although they do vary))

what if it's my webhost that did the domain registration for me ?

you'll need to transfer your domain to a new registrar, Id recommende namecheap.

open a support ticket with ASO saying you want to transfer your domain to a registrar and to unlock it and make your contact details viewable.

once this is done, signup for an account at namecheap or another registrar and choose to transfer a domain, go through the steps till the end.

(transfers cost about $8 with namecheap)

then you just have to wait a few days for it to be transferred, you may get an email from namecheap asking you to confirm the transfer or do nothing, choose confirm.

once its in namecheap, lock the domain :)

I'm currently reg'd with godaddy, are they any good ?

If, lets say, I cancel my ASO account today but just want to keep the domain for now and register with a new webhost in a month or two... is that doable ?

If you have access to your godaddy account.. You can do whatever you want with the domain, whenever you want.

You can point it at any nameservers you want, when you want (ie webhosts name servers)

Do you have access to your domain on godaddy? Or did ASO handle it all for you? You need to get access to the domain account on godaddy, then it does not matter what webhost you go with, now or in the future.

Godaddy is like the largest registrar on the planet -- so yeah, they will work ;) With over 20 Million domains registered with them.

BTW: namecheap is just an eNom reseller, they are not really an accredited registrar.

Edited by BudMan

If you have access to your godaddy account.. You can do whatever you want with the domain, whenever you want.

You can point it at any nameservers you want, when you want (ie webhosts name servers)

Do you have access to your domain on godaddy? Or did ASO handle it all for you? You need to get access to the domain account on godaddy, then it does not matter what webhost you go with, now or in the future.

Godaddy is like the largest registrar on the planet -- so yeah, they will work ;) With over 20 Million domains registered with them.

my bad, they reg all the domains with eNom. I sent a ticket asking for my login info but instead they re-directed me to their "modern bill" interface. If I own the domain I should have access to the domain registrar's very own panel, no ??

yes -- once you have access to the domain on the registrar your good to go, no matter which registrar. Get access to this panel -- then you can do whatever you want want with the domain.

they probably wont give you access to the account holding the domain, thats why you need to transfer it.

You could transfer to godaddy yes, its up to you :) (i just prefer the namecheap interface)

im not sure if when you cancel your aso account that it cancels your domain registration as well, id transfer it before i cancel just to be safe.

yes -- once you have access to the domain on the registrar your good to go, no matter which registrar. Get access to this panel -- then you can do whatever you want want with the domain.

Thanks for the reply.

I already sent a reply-ticket asking for the login info on eNom's website. I just hope they won't give me some bogus reason as to why they cannot give me access.

Even if ASO = reseller, I should still have my own panel right ?

If I own the domain I would very much like to have DIRECT access to what I own and paid for.

no you wont get access to your own panel. to do anything to the domain you have to ask tech support to do it. ASO are a hosting company, and only resell domains as part of a hosting package, therefore you dont get a panel to edit domain settings with.

once you transfer the domain to your own registrar then you can do what you like with it.

There really is little point to allow a webhost to control you domain today.. Domains cost like $10 top... why would you ever give up control of a domain to a webhost?

Pick a registrar you like.. I have never had any issues with godaddy -- an the prices are low.. They are not the top registrar on the planet for nothing ;) As to the interfaces? Not sure why that would be any type of selling point - its something you use what 1 or twice a years top?

The only reason I log into to godaddy is to register a new domain, or point a domain to a new host, etc. The interfaces is nothing you would use a on daily basis, etc.

Pick a registrar you like.. I have never had any issues with godaddy -- an the prices are low.. They are not the top registrar on the planet for nothing ;) As to the interfaces? Not sure why that would be any type of selling point - its something you use what 1 or twice a years top?

The only reason I log into to godaddy is to register a new domain, or point a domain to a new host, etc. The interfaces is nothing you would use a on daily basis, etc.

Unless your in the business of buying and selling domains, you may use it everyday.

I suppose the amount of problems ive heard people have with godaddy has affected my choice too.

Not to mention the amount of ads they throw at you.

but i wont go off topic anymore :p

:ninja:

Unless your in the business of buying and selling domains, you may use it everyday.
Um -- an if he was in that business.. why would he be asking about how to keep his domain, if he changes webhosts ;)

Have you even used godaddy?

Um -- an if he was in that business.. why would he be asking about how to keep his domain, if he changes webhosts ;)

Have you even used godaddy?

I didnt say he was, i just just saying, if he was. :p

Yes, I used Godaddy for about a year before transferring my domains to namecheap.

Edited by Colin-uk
typo