Crysis Single Player Demo Released!

Cheers

any idea if the game forces DX10 when in vista with a DX10 GPU available? I have read that it does, but I'm not sure how legit that is. Cos if so, that could well be the cause of the differences.

There's no explicit DX9 or DX10 setting in the configuration screens. However, there are plenty of config files that the game reads settings from so it may be buried in one of those.

Absolutely superb demo. This is the first time I've played through a demo more then three times since the original Far Cry one. The amount of freedom and choices that you have - suit options, gun options, different ammo types - just adds so much replayability. Crysis has definitely lived up to the hype, in my opinion. I have the game running at 1280x1024, at all medium settings, with the exception of post-processing effects (which is set on low). I get less then 20 fps pretty much all the time, but the massive graphical leap that medium settings offer over low is worth the performance hit.

Couple of things that I wanna mention. Microsoft released a new DirectX 9.0c package for November 2007 just a few days before the Crysis demo hit. I didn't run the game before updating my DirectX, so I couldn't say for sure if it changed anything, but for anyone here that may have graphical glitches or bugs, try updating to the newest DirectX. It may fix them.

Also, for anyone here with GeForce cards (which seems like 90% of you), if you haven't heard yet, NVIDIA released a new ForceWare driver that specifically address compatibility and performance with the Crysis demo.

Absolutely superb demo. This is the first time I've played through a demo more then three times since the original Far Cry one. The amount of freedom and choices that you have - suit options, gun options, different ammo types - just adds so much replayability. Crysis has definitely lived up to the hype, in my opinion. I have the game running at 1280x1024, at all medium settings, with the exception of post-processing effects (which is set on low). I get less then 20 fps pretty much all the time, but the massive graphical leap that medium settings offer over low is worth the performance hit.

Couple of things that I wanna mention. Microsoft released a new DirectX 9.0c package for November 2007 just a few days before the Crysis demo hit. I didn't run the game before updating my DirectX, so I couldn't say for sure if it changed anything, but for anyone here that may have graphical glitches or bugs, try updating to the newest DirectX. It may fix them.

Also, for anyone here with GeForce cards (which seems like 90% of you), if you haven't heard yet, NVIDIA released a new ForceWare driver that specifically address compatibility and performance with the Crysis demo.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I have it running @ 1024x768 with everything on medium.

P4 3.6 HT

512mb 7950GT

4gb ram (2.7 recognised in XP)

Demo runs fine.

I loved how the morning appeared (First light)

It just felt like Far Cry to me though. Which is a shame.

I couldn't be arsed to finish the demo, as when I looked across the water to find the other beach base, it looked exactly like the base in Far Cry.

It just felt too same to me.

I'm still feeling displeased that Crysis runs like crap on my new system (see below).

Your system is pretty similar to mine.

Put the settings to high, then change the post-processing to low. I haven't tried it yet (not at home), but I've been hearing it runs fine like that on a system similar to your's/mine.

excuse me but not all of us can afford your type on gfx card, i have to work had for my money, please dont call my card stupid, have i ever slagged your system specs off? no, so why do it to me?

The game runs very very well on low at 1280x1024, which if i can do that then im a happy camper, yes its not the best res, but it whas i like to play at, i feel that you have a dig at ALL people with lower end cards that you in this thread, so may i suggest that you back off and get back on topic?

I sincerely apology to you, I didn't want to hurt anyone, I just laugh about people that claim getting the game at Ultra High on a 8500GT when people on 8800GTS and 8800GTX claim that they are having problems getting good FPS. This is so uber ridiculous. Of course, I thank you to be honest and say how truly perform the 8500GT and not do like others that obliviously lie or don't know what they are talking about. My word "stupid" is not appropriate, but that my expression for something under performing, and myself I call my damn PentiumD 805 "Stupid". Of course, I try to change my expression, but it go out sometime...

Anyway, I can't even play the demo, I'm getting a screen full of artefact's :blink: I hope it's just driver/OS related and it's not my card itself.

I played the demo, Everything is set to ultra high. 45-50fps.

USING:

ASUS 650SLi Motherboard

Intel Core2 E6850 3.0GHz

4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory

nvidia 8500GT 512MB

Believe him, same specs here (Athlon X2 6000+ instead of Intel) and getting 32 - 55 FPS :)

Uhh, yeah, of course.

Nice try.

Your system is pretty similar to mine.

Put the settings to high, then change the post-processing to low. I haven't tried it yet (not at home), but I've been hearing it runs fine like that on a system similar to your's/mine.

I obviously tried that man the frame rate is still poor

anyone tried and seen if demos good on 2900XT ?

I'm having some lag problems with it. I have them in the multiplayer beta too, but I didn't used to before. I think it's because I upgraded to Catalyst 7.10, so if you still have 7.9, stick with them unless you're having problems.

Maybe due to your crappy settings, Yak.

I'd hardly call my pc crap.

I aint on about the appearance or the running of the game, I am on about the ACTUAL gameplay.

Every few years there's a game exactly like this. A game that can't be run at the highest settings on current hardware.

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with that and as long as the game is fun start to finish I'll play it each time I get a new video card to see what it can do.

As for the Vista issue, this game is one of the worst when it comes to performance drop. There has to be something up in he drivers or game code cause this isn't normal most games run similarly.

I agree, this is a driver issue for the Vista guys... obviously they are still tweaking it if they put out a driver for use with the beta...

I'd hardly call my pc crap.

I aint on about the appearance or the running of the game, I am on about the ACTUAL gameplay.

You run & Shoot? ... Wow, you are right, It's Far Cry all over again :o

I obviously tried that man the frame rate is still poor

No need to get snippy, I was just suggesting. If you "obviously" tried it, you should have mentioned it so people trying to help you would know :)

Chill out, everyone has a right to dislike a game. Plenty of people disliked Far Cry's gameplay.

What's your problem kid!?

I actually like far cry, but I don't want to play a different version of it.

Same island, same enemies...

So, get over yourself. If you like it, well that's nice for you.

If you helped in the making of it, well get some fresh ideas next time.

I tried to start the game using the Vista "games" shortcut, but it goes to a black screen and fails to load.

I went to the bin64 folder and used the .exe, but that ends in the same result.

I used the .exe in the bin32 folder which works sort of. I get to the point where I choose the difficulty level for single player and it freezes inevitably every time. I am able to change my video settings prior to that, but it froze once I tried to change them to all very high minus post processing.

I have the latest Vista updates and Nvidia updates (both chipset and vga). I redownloaded the entire file from a different site and reinstalled it to no avail. I installed the lastest directx9.

I am glad my computer can't even attempt to run this game. All other games work fine except Company of Heroes Opposing Front and Crysis demo. At least COH:OF runs but crashes frequently. Crysis won't even run :(.

Any suggestions?

169.01 and 15.08. I also tried using the fxc.exe in the bin32 folder as I read that helps. It did not solve any of my problems. I have yet to make it past selecting the difficulty yet. Each time it freezes and goes to a black screen where I can see the mouse cursor. I can also move the mouse cursor. Windows then tells me Crysis has failed to respond and asks me to either close the program or check for solutions. It finds no solutions.

Do you mean the beta drivers 169.01 or something like that?

Hmm, it runs great on my system everything set to high, 1680x1050 as long as AA is disabled. A little slow (~25-30fps) with post processing on high.

Q6600

2 GB ram

8800 GTS

All stock.

I was expecting it to run like a dog from all the complaints. *shrug*

Hmm, it runs great on my system everything set to high, 1680x1050 as long as AA is disabled. A little slow (~25-30fps) with post processing on high.

Q6600

2 GB ram

8800 GTS

All stock.

I was expecting it to run like a dog from all the complaints. *shrug*

dang! /me scared of downloading this... It's supposed to be optimized for multicore, yet i've seen Core 2 duos and core 2 quads get almost the same FPS :s having a GTS or GTX and the same amount of ram ( 2-4GB)... I Guess all the multi-core optimization was mostly hype since the game seems to be more video limited than core limited...

Edit: i'm aware there are overclocked/superclocked versions of these cards, same with the ram