Crysis Single Player Demo Released!

i don't want to go through the all thread but i wonder, have you discussed that on vista you get half the FPS then on xp?

Im getting like 15 FPS in places that i get 34-40 on xp with my 8800Gts. latest beta... .04 something.

be careful saying that here, you'll be flamed! :p

my testing concludes that XP runs the game faster than vista, and it has nothing to do with dx9 vs dx10 as people in this thread think.

I've tried the same settings on vista dx9, vista dx10 and xp dx9 and xp is running the game anywhere between 10-20 fps faster than vista in both dx flavours. Anyone who doesn't believe me, install xp and try it for yourself before responding with the default "you don't know what you're talking about, vista is faster than xp" garbage.

as has been said many times in this thread. wait for the final code + patches, i'm sure things will improve.

Edited by ZombieFly

my testing concludes that XP runs the game faster than vista, and it has nothing to do with dx9 vs dx10 as people in this thread think.

I've tried the same settings on vista dx9, vista dx10 and xp dx9 and xp is running the game anywhere between 10-20 fps faster than vista in both dx flavours. Anyone who doesn't believe me, install xp and try it for yourself before responding with the default "you don't know what you're talking about, vista is faster than xp" garbage.

as has been said many times in this thread. wait for the final code + patches, i'm sure things will improve.

im experiencing the same thing.

lets hope so.

and xp is running the game anywhere between 10-20 fps faster than vista in both dx flavours.

Since when is DirectX 10 available in Windows XP?

Since when is DirectX 10 available in Windows XP?

i meant the frame rate in xp was higher than the framerate in vista dx9 and the framerate in vista dx10. yes i know that dx10 isnt available in xp, i was simply making a comparison, xp vs the 2 vista flavours, sheesh

Did you try the compatibility mode fix? That supposedly gains frames.

Guys, get the ini-mod to enable higher settings on DX9. It's well worth the few FPS drop. The light rays are fantastic, and vegetation and water are much more richer than on high.

Why is performance even being debated here, it's PRE-RELEASE!

Which means it's most likely Beta code from the Multi, in fact I don't doubt that it is the code from the multi used in this PRE-release. AFAIK, Crysis just went gold a few days ago, which means the demo thats out now isn't final code. So you cry babies out there need to calm down and wait till the final product is released and EA releases a demo.

BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY GONE GOLD!

This code is probably as optimized as the retail game is going to be, guys. If you're expecting some drastic changes, I'm sorry, but you're sadly mistaken.

Game plays fine for me, you just need to know what to tweak. Lighting takes the performance up BIG TIME if you put it even on medium.

I've been tweaking for quite a while, and let me just say this: DirectX 10 is a massive travesty.

Clearly everything the current generation of hardware can do in DX10 it can also do in DX9. Nothing in Crysis in DX10 is really impossible in DX9, from what I've read and seen -- and I've tried almost everything I've read. What's funny, though, is that the exact same graphical settings in DX9 run about 10FPS faster, if not more.

Clearly something's wrong with DX10, and it needs to be fixed. Pronto.

I get a pretty good decent FPS on Crysis (30FPS or so on the settings I tweaked), but it's still a shame the game can't look at least as good as some older games on older hardware. It just looks pathetic when everything's on low... you'd expect it to at least look decent, as many high-end games do.

Everybody are calling emulated DX10 features for true DirectX 10 ...

They're not emulated. They're the exact same features. If you have a DX10 card, you can run DX10 features in XP -- the exact features.

They're not emulated. They're the exact same features. If you have a DX10 card, you can run DX10 features in XP -- the exact features.

You don't even need a DX10 card. I would like to add, this situation is a rehash of SM2 vs SM3.

I've been tweaking for quite a while, and let me just say this: DirectX 10 is a massive travesty.

Clearly everything the current generation of hardware can do in DX10 it can also do in DX9. Nothing in Crysis in DX10 is really impossible in DX9, from what I've read and seen -- and I've tried almost everything I've read. What's funny, though, is that the exact same graphical settings in DX9 run about 10FPS faster, if not more.

Clearly something's wrong with DX10, and it needs to be fixed. Pronto.

I get a pretty good decent FPS on Crysis (30FPS or so on the settings I tweaked), but it's still a shame the game can't look at least as good as some older games on older hardware. It just looks pathetic when everything's on low... you'd expect it to at least look decent, as many high-end games do.

You're of course still missing the fact that these tweaks DON'T enable DX10 features, not all of them. Just some that were locked out of DX9 mode for one reason or another.

The demo is great and I have gone through it several times. Its neat how you can approach the situations in different styles, like cloaking from spot to spot and slowly tranquilizing enemies, then setting up C4 in their base and watch, from a distance as you blow it sky high and enjoy the shower of sheet metal.

I haven't been able to give Sandbox2 a go yet. I installed the sandbox edit, went to the Bin32 folder and clicked the Editor.exe, then nothing happens at all. Anyone know how to fix this ?

I'm on XP BTW.

The demo is great and I have gone through it several times. Its neat how you can approach the situations in different styles, like cloaking from spot to spot and slowly tranquilizing enemies, then setting up C4 in their base and watch, from a distance as you blow it sky high and enjoy the shower of sheet metal.

I haven't been able to give Sandbox2 a go yet. I installed the sandbox edit, went to the Bin32 folder and clicked the Editor.exe, then nothing happens at all. Anyone know how to fix this ?

I'm on XP BTW.

C4?! :|

So far it runs beautifully with the following system. I have everything on very high, with the exception of postprocessing which I bumped down to high. I don't get why people with similar systems are complaining :pinch:

Athlon 5000+ Dualcore (OC'd to 3 GHz)

2GB RAM

Geforce 8800GTS

Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Windows Vista Business Edition

I'm having some trouble with CryEngine2 Sandbox though. "Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C\:Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Editor. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator."

Needless to say, I am the system administrator. I've given full rights under Properties > Security, and there is no "Run as administrator" option under the right click menu. Any ideas...?

You don't even need a DX10 card. I would like to add, this situation is a rehash of SM2 vs SM3.

Don't even try that, ANova. SM2 and SM3 are completely different. These are features that are the exact same and not different in any way. This situation is completely different than what you're trying to compare it to, so don't even pull that crap.

Nice to see you went ahead and upgraded your graphics card, though... so I'm sure you forgot to 'fight the power' and went ahead and installed Bioshock ;)

This code is probably as optimized as the retail game is going to be, guys. If you're expecting some drastic changes, I'm sorry, but you're sadly mistaken.

P R E-R E L E A S E. There I spelled it out for you.

Plenty of driver optimizations to come and I'm more than sure the retail version will so some promise as well. Now go take a pill and chill out.

BTW, I love the Nuke tank and fighting the alien was awesome. Oh and the helicopter is easy to fly and fun too. ;)

Edited by IceBrewedBeer

how do you know when the demo build was made? The code only went gold a couple of days ago, and I would imagine the demo is probably at least 2 weeks old.

Anyway, drivers can help performance a lot aswell (haven't installed them myself, but from what I've read the latest beta drivers from nvidia offer better performance than the beta drivers released just before the Crysis demo).

how do you know when the demo build was made? The code only went gold a couple of days ago, and I would imagine the demo is probably at least 2 weeks old.

Anyway, drivers can help performance a lot aswell (haven't installed them myself, but from what I've read the latest beta drivers from nvidia offer better performance than the beta drivers released just before the Crysis demo).

They got massive performance benefits in two weeks? And they just sat on the demo, not making any tweaks before they released it (putting out a demo that you've already improved upon? That would be stupid, as it would remove potential customers)? Come on, think about what you're saying for a second here.

@IceBrewedBeer: Drivers are not going to give much of a performance improvement 99.99% of the time. It's up to the developer to patch it. Furthermore, I am FULLY AWARE IT IS PRE-RELEASE. But tell me... when has a game EVER got a big performance improvement when the demo was released within a week or so of the game going gold?

What I'm saying here is either Microsoft or Crytek screwed up big-time on DirectX 10 (not sure if it's because of DX10 or because of the game, in other words). When it looks the exact same and DX9 and runs 30-50% faster, someone F'd up. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, I am FULLY AWARE IT IS PRE-RELEASE.
Sure ya do. ;)

So uh tell me, when have you ever played a P-R-E-R-E-L-E-A-S-E demo, cause I've never really seen one. BF2 maybe, but then I remember better drivers and a patch or 2 made the game pretty playable at a decent frame rate.

One more thing, "They got massive performance benefits in two weeks" where do you see MASSIVE performance benefits, last I heard Beta 3 of the MP plays at the same FPS as the SP. It got better frame rates from newer drivers...which would again debunk your argument.

Oh and....

1190078660371of0.jpg

Seriously, that's what this thread is turning into.