Pressing Charges

lets say...theoretically i want to press charges against someone...I have an extremely limited knowledge about this kinda of stuff so i was wondering some things.

charges would be assault, and harassment.

what im wondering is:

-would you go through the police, or the court?

-what are the limitations?

-how much proof would you need of the charges? lets assume there are more then 4 witness's each for different occasions.

has anyone here pressed charges against someone before? real life experience with this stuff?

this is all theoretical :whistle:

lets say theoretically you have till 4 tomorrow to get your 2 cents in.

theoretically its an employee and id lose my job....

ohh.

I'd goto the cops first.

Get as much witness's to back you up.

Write out a full written report of exactly what happened, cos they will probably ask you to.

Write down the names of the people who would be a witness, and make sure that they know they are getting involved.

Make sure to fully date when the events happened and what not.

If the police don't follow through with anything, or say something like 'if it happens again, come back to us' then i'd goto the court.

1 Ok if it's employee as in you're his / her boss speak to your boss first, if no satisfactory outcome move to step 2.

2 If that's not the case report it to the Police. Be sure to keep stuff documented about the assault / harassment, witness details, and any actions taken before and after to give to the Police :)

Good luck

Theoretically

1 Ok if it's employee as in you're his / her boss speak to your boss first, if no satisfactory outcome move to step 2.

2 If that's not the case report it to the Police. Be sure to keep stuff documented about the assault / harassment, witness details, and any actions taken before and after to give to the Police :)

Good luck

Theoretically

the first thing you should do is talk to a lawer

That's exactly what you should do. I'd say that Shof's advice might be used as an optional intermediate step between funkymunky's 1 and 2. Certainly if your boss is not willing to do the right thing, you can twist his arm by threatening with the police.

My brother had someone threaten his life verbally at work once and management wasn't going to do anything so he threatened to involve the police and I think he might have even been down to the station a couple times to talk to them. Eventually management wised up and the guy got fired.

There's no such thing as "pressing charges" anymore. it's been changed.

You basically no just phone the police and say "I''d like to 'report' a(n) assult/attack/etc".

If a criminal offence has been commit, you simply report it. Then the police do their work and will either "caution" the offender or if a prosecution needs to occur, then the police refer it to the "crown prosecution service" http://www.cps.gov.uk/yourcps.html

After reporting the offence, you will be asked to make a statement at the police station. They will ask you what witnesses there are.

The accussed will be asked to make a statement. At this stage if a confession of guilt is made, then the police can caution the offender.

If need be then your witnesses will be asked to make a statement.

You don't need proof, you need witnesses to simply confirm the _truth_. If possible CCTV will be used.

I know all this because I was punched in the eye on Saturday night, and the person recieved a 5 year caution this morning.

Props to the police for their support and efficiency. (Y)

from what i understand of the American law system you just go to the local police office and talk to the clerk and tell them that you would like to press charges of assault and harassment against a person and they will make you fill out paperwork and then investigate the situation... i am not really sure though being that i have never dealt with the law in this country before lol i have been a good boy lol..... or at least i try to be.

some options.

go to the police and file a report first then seek legal advice. To be honest it depends on the situation. If its a worksituation you are also entitled to seek damages from your place of work. But i dont recommend this unless it was very serious, so you want to think long and hard about it .

If it was a woman that was doing this to you.. i suggest you shave every hair off your body, get some baby oil , grease your self up and let her continue beating you up...

hmmmm daddy likes that....

i will be taking this up with the store managers, ill be giving them the option of 2 weeks suspension or termination, if they refuse, ill be going to the headoffice, the office that deals with bigger situations like this. if they also refuse (which i highly highly doubt) then ill be pressing charges.

pressing charges is a last resort, but it may be necessary.

if it does come to pressing charges, money is that important and i think it would make it look like im seeking money instead of fixing the real problem, and would probly lose me credit im thinking.

i will be taking this up with the store managers, ill be giving them the option of 2 weeks suspension or termination, if they refuse, ill be going to the headoffice, the office that deals with bigger situations like this. if they also refuse (which i highly highly doubt) then ill be pressing charges.

pressing charges is a last resort, but it may be necessary.

if it does come to pressing charges, money is that important and i think it would make it look like im seeking money instead of fixing the real problem, and would probly lose me credit im thinking.

I would write a report first with the police as you can tell it like it was and you would better remember the situation. Take it also with the Labour Board as well and file a complaint with them. Then if nothing happens you could talk to a lawyer and or corporate.

ive phoned my "key wittiness" we'll be talking with the manager tomorrow, im aiming for two weeks suspension, but i have no doubt that if the local head office knew, hed be terminated instantly.