Heroes Volume 3 : Villains

Heroes Creator Calls the Watchers "Saps"

Remember how NBCUniversal2.0 whacked the two writer/producers on its ratings-challenged "Heroes" and told show creator Tim Kring to get back to work and back to basics? The media conglom, which produces and also broadcasts the serialized drama, did so because, for each of the past three weeks, "Heroes" has redefined its "series low" -- most recently pulling in 7.7 million viewers. That's only about half the crowd it attracted when it first hit NBC's prime-time lineup in fall 2006.

So, what has Kring been doing since then to try to win back viewers?

For one thing, he's been speaking at Creative Screenwriting magazine's 2008 Screenwriting Expo this past weekend during a "Heroes" panel, which originally was supposed to include the two writer/producers who got the old heave-ho. Attendees were warned ahead of time that there would be no talk of the writing staff changes because they were there to discuss the art of screenwriting. That's according to Imagine Games Network, which had a representative attending the expo.

Instead, Kring spent a lot of time explaining why the lousy ratings aren't his fault. Here's his thinking:

Writing a serialized drama is "an absolute bear." It is also a "very flawed way of telling stories on network television," because of the advent of DVR and online streaming, for example, Kring said, according to the report.

Serialized dramas work only if people sit in front of their TV sets on the night and at the hour the network broadcasts each episode. But now, you can watch a serialized drama whenever and wherever you want and almost all of those other means of watching episodes "are superior to watching it on the air." Sooooo, the only people watching a show -- "Heroes" perhaps -- at the time it's being broadcast by a network -- say NBC -- are the "saps and [expletives] who can't figure out how to watch it in a superior way."

Tim Kring may have been a genius when the show first started, but the he's quickly becoming an even bigger idiot. Heroes just plain sucks (well I haven't watch for several weeks. But when I stopped I was so disgusted it'll take a miracle to get me back).

There needs to be consequences for actions and there aren't. Hiro and Peter can go backwards and forwards to fix any issue. Absolute bull****.

Kring = fail IMO

WTF.. How is that even an explaination of why the show sucks..... We still WATCH the show..even if its later on our DVR's..

Or maybe Kring is hinting that we have a new hero who's power is to make the show change into being good again if you watch it online!!! YEAH THATS IT!! ... /sigh

hes trying to explain why the ratins are low I think

anyway he's kind of right, but I wouldn't blame it on those who watch it on tv, I would blame it on the networks for not embracing the new 'formats' enough. if only they knew how many people from outside the US download the thing just because of stupid burocratic "rights" crap. the UK is the only country where they got it together and they air the episodes like a few days after their premiere right? I still consider that too late. in spain we have to wait more than 6 months to watch a cut-off image with ?ber-compressed quality.

You can watch the latest episodes the very next day on NBC.com, no 2 weeks, or 6 months.... Also UK doesn't have it together either as you have to watch them through iplayer right? And thats only available to people in the UK. It needs to be universal to allow everyone to see shows..

Did we ever find out what Hiros dads ability was?
In a deleted scene from Four Months Later, Kaito reveals his "special ability" to Ando. Kaito says he can "see the variables of any situation and predict the outcome." He claims he is faster than a computer and attributes his success in the stock market to this ability. This ability is similar to accelerated probability.

3.12 Official Sypnosis

HEROES BAND TOGETHER IN AN ATTEMPT TO PUT A STOP TO ARTHUR PETRELLI - GEORGE TAKEI, KRISTEN BELL, BREA GRANT, SETH GREEN, BRECKIN MEYER, JAMIE HECTOR AND BLAKE SHIELDS GUEST STAR ? Hoping to find a way to stop Arthur (guest star Robert Forster), Hiro (Masi Oka) and Claire (Hayden Panettiere) band together and travel back in time 16 years to when Kaito (guest star George Takei) gave baby Claire to H.R.G. (Jack Coleman). Meanwhile, Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) and the Haitian (guest star Jimmy Jean-Louis) team up to finish off Arthur Petrelli for good but are interrupted by Sylar (Zachary Quinto). Elsewhere, in the lab, Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) has a major breakthrough with the formula that will likely change everything. Ali Larter, Cristine Rose, Greg Grunberg, Adrian Pasdar and James Kyson Lee also star. Jessalyn Gilsig, Ashley Crow, Tamlyn Tomita and Chad Faust also guest star

No, I'm sure there are some talented writers on this forum that could write better material than what's been used. You constantly accuse people of being arrogant, maybe the problem lies on your end?

So PROVE it then! Get a script made into a TV show/Movie that's awesome, then I'll believe it!

Yes, you guys are Arrogant, from my point of view!

Time after time, it's like you think you are better than Celebrities, Better than these actors, writers... better than ME.

I, on the other hand, have NEVER acted that way!

Remember, it's EASY to say Anything, but hard to actually do.

If I say I can write BETTER, I better come out with such proof - a TV show or movie that is great, otherwise don't say it!

IF YOU truly can write better. Why are you sitting at home, by the computer, COMPLAINING .... instead get those scripts you so think Highly of out there to get Produced?

Edited by JediXAngel

Nobody has said they are any better than the actors or writers or even you. Get over your superiority complex; all you harp on is arrogant this, arrogant that. Again, nobody has said they are any better than the actors or writers or even you. Just because people post criticisms about the story, the acting or your childish, erratic behavior does not mean they believe they have become better than anyone.

And I didn't say I could write a better script, I said I'm sure there are some people who like to write here on Neowin that can write better stories than have been regurgitated from the writers since season two. The writers did a great job with the first season, and have yet to prove that they have much more creativity that make the show as good, if not better, than the first season, and the ratings, criticisms, and acknowledgment from the show's creator proves that. However, that does not mean I think I'm better than them or you, so get over it.

Well, it might NOT be you who claim you can write Better, but another person certainly did! However, you in Fact DID say there are some more talented writers on this forum, yourself!

Who?

All I am saying is, if any of you CAN write better go PROVE it! (Note: You as in plural)

Don't just complain you can write better! Talking is EASY. Actually doing it is Difficult!

Actually write something and post it, and let us judge if you actually truly better, or just being arrogant.

If you ACTUALLY do write Better, I'll eat my words and Believe/Respect you!

Well, it might NOT be you who claim you can write Better, but another person certainly did! However, you in Fact DID say there are some more talented writers on this forum, yourself!

Who?

All I am saying is, if any of you CAN write better go PROVE it! (Note: You as in plural)

Don't just complain you can write better! Talking is EASY. Actually doing it is Difficult!

Actually write something and post it, and let us judge if you actually truly better, or just being arrogant.

I'm sorry, but i have to side with Mathachew. (because of various reasons not mentioned, but one thing I cannot stand I point out below)

Because at least he doesn't obnoxiously capitalize every other freaking word. For some reason people like you seem to think it makes you get more attention and louder or validates your point more. Its freaking text. Get over yourself. There's no need to do that. (I try to mention this not as a personal attack, but its very frustrating trying to read your posts. Its like a roller coaster ride.)

edit: Oh also, to add onto this writers debate, there are a lot of registered users on this site, so the odds are way up there that there are at least a hand full of people who can write tv quality scripts. Just my observation.

Who?

You have no right to judge how good or bad anything is, because you think that any show that you like is the best thing since sliced bread. You always complain about people saying something isn't good, even with valid points.

Just because they don't like something doesn't mean they personally have to create a better show. Why should someone write an episode of a TV show just to impress a fanboy goober on an internet forum? We are all here to give our opinions. Which is why no matter how stupid your views are, you are allowed to give them just as much as anyone else. But you need to get over yourself. Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do doesn't make them wrong. In fact, if most people see things the same way, they are probably right, especially when talking about TV shows, since majority rules in this case. If you don't like someones views, there is a handy little close button on your browser, feel free to click it.

You should know, however, that your opinion is worthless to most of the posters on here because we know how close-minded and 'in the bag' you are for any show that you like. They could have Peter crap out a lightning bolt and throw it through Arthur to kill him, and you would tell us how it was the best thing ever.

You have no right to judge how good or bad anything is, because you think that any show that you like is the best thing since sliced bread. You always complain about people saying something isn't good, even with valid points.

Just because they don't like something doesn't mean they personally have to create a better show. Why should someone write an episode of a TV show just to impress a fanboy goober on an internet forum? We are all here to give our opinions. Which is why no matter how stupid your views are, you are allowed to give them just as much as anyone else. But you need to get over yourself. Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do doesn't make them wrong. In fact, if most people see things the same way, they are probably right, especially when talking about TV shows, since majority rules in this case. If you don't like someones views, there is a handy little close button on your browser, feel free to click it.

You should know, however, that your opinion is worthless to most of the posters on here because we know how close-minded and 'in the bag' you are for any show that you like. They could have Peter crap out a lightning bolt and throw it through Arthur to kill him, and you would tell us how it was the best thing ever.

QFT!

Heroes fell into the grandfather paradox. Which is one of my pet peeves. Heroes opened to many doors and went batshit crazy with trying to keep everyone alive, that it lost it's awesomeness that the first season had. The mythology of it all died the moment Hiro went back in time and started screwing with the past. I hope they can fix the show, but I fear it may be to late.

At any rate, considering the amount of time I've put into watching this show, no one is going to tell me I don't have the right to critize the writers for writing poorly. That just isn't going to fly.

It's funny because you could describe the show in the exact same words :)

Which is your opinion, stating your views. Someone else could still love the show. ;)

This thread is getting childish and out of hand, it's pretty pathetic.

+1

we're here to talk about the show not to criticieze each other. so if you don't like each other opinion, there will be alwas the PM, use them and don't oblige us to read you posts.

PS: I still like the show with it's bad writing, but i understand that some people don't and they expres it here

This thread is getting childish and out of hand, it's pretty pathetic.

I agree but I did add the words thoughts to the post so people will speak and discuss them.