• Norton Speed Disk
    • O&O Defrag
    • PageDefrag
    • PerfectDisk
    • Vopt
    • Windows Defrag
    • Other (please specify below)

Question

A fresh "Best Defragmenter" poll for 2008. Please use this as a reference when researching Defrag utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy voting!

I am being stupid how does it work? I ran the exe file and it opens a dos prompt then asks you to agree to the lic and then closes! Tried to follow what is said as regards usage but I do not follow!

I have years trying to find the best defragmenter. I think all are bad.

I am currently testing PerfectDisk 2008, it do exactly the same as the old one.

The only defragmenter near to be good is Diskeeper, but because is always on, it could give some problems sometimes.

I just want a hybrid with PerfectDisk and Diskeeper in one product, defragmenting only in screensaver if not defraged in some days, like PerfectDisk do, and doing the amazing defrag work Diskeeper do (with I-FAAST technology).

Edited by NeHoMaR

@ Farstrider, "contig" is dos'based. It's better to use the GUI to "contig": Power Defragmenter GUI 2.0.125

Actually, contig is a proper windows console program; it *won't* run in DOS (unless you're using an NTFS driver with a DOS extender).

The only defragmenter near to be good is Diskeeper, but because is always on, it could give some problems sometimes.

What problems?

I'll definately vote for Perfectdisk 2008. I won't get into the reasons I don't like Diskeeper, since I haven't actually *used* it in a long time, but there you go. No intention to try it again. Ever. Those who have done thorough comparisons find it less effective.

PD2008 has the same general placement strategies as PD8, true, but it's definately an improvement in quite a few other ways.

I do appreciate hearing about JKDefrag in this thread, for sure.

I actually used DiskTrix UltimateDefrag on my drive in my lappy after I went from a 75 to a 120 GB version. I expanded it and it showed all the data on the outside of the drive and it already looked great. But, just for kicks, I ran UD on it to re-optimize and it moved everything to the inside tracks....ok, not what I was expecting to happen.

Then, I went ahead and ran the JKDefrag app and it moved everything back to the outside of the drive (like it used to be) with no problems whatsoever.

Nice to know there is an awesome free defragger that I can use with confidence. Every time I defrag with JKDefrag, UD reports that there's not much to do on the drive so it seems to do a comparable job, and corrected the problem that UD actually caused on my drive. So I must say, nice free app from a defrag standpoint. I'd definitely recommend it for an awesome free defrag utility. (Y)

I've been happy with what Windows Defrag has done in Vista. The fact that I have never used it and I have less than 2% of my hd space, and yet it still runs like new, is enough to make me happy.

i used to swear by diskeeper but then swapped to perfectdisk. it seems more people use perfectdisk and thats why i swapped.

i will be going back to diskeeper when i can be bothered. i reckon it was much better

i barely defrag anyway. i usually give my computer a full format ever few months so everything is usually running top notch the whole time.

but it's not powerful

i tried it ultimate defrag makes my pc run faster

jkdefrag is worse then the xp defrag

Sure it is :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear your reasons on why it's worse - JKDefrag offers multiple advantages over the built-in Windows defragger.

What's your definition of "powerful" ?

UltimateDefrag is great, as I stated before. But every single time I use JKDefrag and then run UD, it has no work to do. It'll run for a minute maybe and then say it's finished. So I don't see how you would see night and day differences if you are performing the same basic strategy for file placement.

Sure it is :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear your reasons on why it's worse - JKDefrag offers multiple advantages over the built-in Windows defragger.

What's your definition of "powerful" ?

UltimateDefrag is great, as I stated before. But every single time I use JKDefrag and then run UD, it has no work to do. It'll run for a minute maybe and then say it's finished. So I don't see how you would see night and day differences if you are performing the same basic strategy for file placement.

well i run many times jkdefrag , and i did not notice better performance

with ultimatedegrag with a good setting , let my pc run faster what i did not see with JKdefrag

well i run many times jkdefrag , and i did not notice better performance

with ultimatedegrag with a good setting , let my pc run faster what i did not see with JKdefrag

Well you still fail to answer my questions...ad now I have even more.

How were you running JKDefrag? Were you using certain Command Line options? Were you simply using the GUI with no settings? How is JKDefrag worse than the built-in Windows defragger? What is this "good setting" you speak of?

At any rate, I fail to see your logic, based on your posts. I'd love to hear more details on your strategy and get solid answers.

JKdefrag+Option GUI......and theres no way in all hell that its comparable to Windows defragger.....whoever stated that needs to get there heads check....jkdefrag is the only defrag we use in the IT Department mostly cause we can see the source code, and because its not loaded with useless bloat...it's fast, its reliable, its stable, and has great options and best of all its free.....

Well you still fail to answer my questions...ad now I have even more.

How were you running JKDefrag? Were you using certain Command Line options? Were you simply using the GUI with no settings? How is JKDefrag worse than the built-in Windows defragger? What is this "good setting" you speak of?

At any rate, I fail to see your logic, based on your posts. I'd love to hear more details on your strategy and get solid answers.

JKdefrag+Option GUI......and theres no way in all hell that its comparable to Windows defragger.....whoever stated that needs to get there heads check....jkdefrag is the only defrag we use in the IT Department mostly cause we can see the source code, and because its not loaded with useless bloat...it's fast, its reliable, its stable, and has great options and best of all its free.....

well please tell me which setting should i use with jkdegrag?

i will give another try

Many ppl seem to use PerfectDisk , whats so special about it.

Been using Diskeeper since a long time and am satisfied with it.

Just curious about PerfectDisk.