• Norton Speed Disk
    • O&O Defrag
    • PageDefrag
    • PerfectDisk
    • Vopt
    • Windows Defrag
    • Other (please specify below)

Question

A fresh "Best Defragmenter" poll for 2008. Please use this as a reference when researching Defrag utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy voting!

Defragmentation should take place in the background, invisibly and automatically.

That is why I bought Diskeeper Home Edition and that is why I voted for it.

the built in one for vista should be enough even though these other defraggers claim to be better but do some research.perfectdisk claims to be good.

Well, I'm currently using Defraggler, which seems pretty effective to me.

I really liked Norton Speed Disc when I used to use Symentec products. It was my understanding that it organized the files based on frequency of use, therefore as time went on, you became fragmented less often.

Well, I'm currently using Defraggler, which seems pretty effective to me.

I really liked Norton Speed Disc when I used to use Symentec products. It was my understanding that it organized the files based on frequency of use, therefore as time went on, you became fragmented less often.

DiskTrix UltimateDefrag does this as well. It puts least used files on the inner tracks and most used on the outer.

So my choises are:

1. DiskTrix UltimateDefrag

2. O&O Defrag 10

3. IOBit SmartDefrag

I'm using Defraggler and it seems to do the job. Took a while but what can you expect when I've never defragged my laptop in a year.

Having used Diskeeper, PerfectDisk, Defraggler, JkDefrag and UltimateDefrag I must say that only UltimateDefrag really impressed me.

In the most recent versions Diskeeper and PerfectDisk have become too bloated (installing a bunch of services etc), previous versions of PerfectDisk were good, but v8 made me switch to something else.

Defraggler just seems to be too simple, and it doesn't seem to have any advanced placing algorithms. It's lightweight though, but it doesn't seem that different from the one included in Windows really. JkDefrag seems to be a tad better, although I don't like the "fully automatic" approach it uses.

UltimateDefrag on the other hand is lightweight (no services or startup entries) and provides a very good defragmentation engine, with a lot of different options like placing files on the fastest part of the disk, moving the least used files to the outer part of the disk and so on. Performance-wise, UltimateDefrag is the best I've tried so far. :)

PerfectDisk, hands down winner.

Multiple reviews have put it past Diskeeper (I used to use it)

But PD just goes way past it (Y)

i used PD and it F*d my drive up and kept on giving me page fault errors.

I stick to Auslogics free Defrag. It's never caused a problem, yet.

Well, then you might as well uninstall it because it does relatively the same job as Windows Defrag.

You want proof? Here's how.

1. Install VMware Server (free but you have to request a serial via online form which you receive via e-mail.)

2. Install Windows OS and desired applications.

3. Download the now free (Domain) version of UltimateDefrag and install it.

4. Install AusLogics Disk Defrag.

5. Make a virtual snapshot.

6. Analyze your virtual disk with UD, make a screenshot and save it.

7. Defrag with Windows Defrag. Take a pic of the defragmented HDD. Save it.

8. Revert to the snapshot and repeat step 7.

9. Compare the two screenshots.

Unless there have been significant code changes in AusLogics, the displays should look very similar as should the number of fragmented files left.

You can perform this procedure for comparison with any defragmenter since UD gives you the real-time true disk circular display.

In my experience, there are NOT best defragmenter, all of them disappoint me.

I am still waiting for something good and smart, making all the job in real time (like Diskeeper) but moving things customized (like UltimateDefrag), and with a good off-line defrag (like PerfectDisk)

In my experience, there are NOT best defragmenter, all of them disappoint me.

I am still waiting for something good and smart, making all the job in real time (like Diskeeper) but moving things customized (like UltimateDefrag), and with a good off-line defrag (like PerfectDisk)

I pretty well feel the same currently :/