Why is Google Earth so out of date?

Seriously... except or very big cities and surrounding areas... I've noticed google earth is massively out of date... and for a very large amount of land has no high res images.... to compare this to... Microsoft Live Earth, Mapquest, and about every other proivder out there has high res arial images for most oft the world... heck even the maps are out of date they seem to have roads disappearing that shouldnt... roads going places that dont exist... even roads that are on the map that don't exist in real life... i know the maps are teleatlas's fault but I've already complained and submitted the errors and they wont fix them... but as for the images... why is google so out of date? when they where keyhole they had high res images for a lot larger area! heck even my town had them... now all I see is a big blurred green mess... yet on Mapquest I can see buildings...and on live earth they have images taken just last summer! which I can even see boards laying on the ground in an area that is under construction! thats how high res their images are!...

Well, zooming in on Denmark in Google Earth - I am able to see my own house, even the backyard in a reasonable resolution. Yet in Live Earth, everything in Denmark is just a huge blob.

Perhaps those programs focus a bit too much on America and the other big countries, while Google Earth tries to cover the entire world in a decent resolution.

Well, zooming in on Denmark in Google Earth - I am able to see my own house, even the backyard in a reasonable resolution. Yet in Live Earth, everything in Denmark is just a huge blob.

Perhaps those programs focus a bit too much on America and the other big countries, while Google Earth tries to cover the entire world in a decent resolution.

Well I am talking about the US/Canada in my comparision... but keyhole use to have the whole world in high res! until google took over...

i can see the pool in my backyard with google earth in australia so i cant complain either

Look up Indiana, PA, USA and see how crappy most of the USA is in quality... then look right next to us in Pittsburgh, PA... clear as day..

in all the map software, they ALL have data that is around 5-7 years old for Toronto. For example, at Morningside Ave, Lawrence Ave, Kingston Road Triangle the NoFrills added on around 2 years ago. The Library was built in it's new location 6 years ago.

But both are missing on ALL maps.

So perhaps they need to re-image Toronto.

Green is what the buildings look like

Red is the two areas to look at.

The big red spot, is now two banks, a pizza pizza etc etc.

post-54440-1200415424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allan

On Mapquest I am limited to zoom level 14 while on Google Maps I can fully zoom in on my house.

Fred ... so can I. However, ALL the images are 7 or so years old. When exactly did Morningside Library open in the new location? From what I can gather, 2001 or 2002. So you know it's 6-7 years. Morningside Mall? No longer exists. It's an open field now. (I know because I walk by it daily).

Fred ... so can I. However, ALL the images are 7 or so years old. When exactly did Morningside Library open in the new location? From what I can gather, 2001 or 2002. So you know it's 6-7 years. Morningside Mall? No longer exists. It's an open field now. (I know because I walk by it daily).

My street is newer than that. It shows the new house that went in immediately next to me but it doesn't show the new house immediately next to that. I would guess the phote to be about 2-3 years old.

I think the last update came in 2003

but seriously, we have these old train tracks in the north part of my town, only about a mile or so still have the tracks,(unused) rest have been torn apart. google still picks those up, even though its been 10 may be 20 years since they removed those tracks.

Yeah, I think where I live it's about 3-4 years behind. It still shows my neighborhood as an orchard! And some shopping multicenters that are only 1/4th built.

It's too bad they can't update it more frequently. I still don't think they recognize my street address, it shows me a house in the next development over that is on the same street name but different number!

What do you guys expect :p Do you want them to fly by every week? in my area the images are only about a year old, and i think that's good enough, not much has changed.

I now know, from talking to the Library, the Morningside Branch opened in May 2006 at it's new location.

I havn't read all the replies so I dunno if this has been said but, I've 'heard' that google earth etc are out of date so people can't plan some sort of attack on places easily

?

The area around where I live is in nice crisp detail in Google Earth .. and I can almost pin down the date the photos were taken to 2 or 3 days before November 5th 2006 ! (bonfire night in the UK) .. so I think that's pretty good !

One puzzle I've noticed is when you look generally at Holland .. certain small areas are censored .. ie mosaiced (sp) for some reason .. can there possibly be anything the Dutch authorities want to hide from the rest of us ? . I wouldn't have thought so !

I live in a very small town (pop of 6000 people) and I can see the town on Google Earth, but it sucks on Live Earth which (imo) is a rip off copycat of Google Earth.

In Google Earth, my area has some backburning done in the empty paddocks and that I had my old car in the driveway so that put the photos to be about 2004. I suspect this is to be updated very soon as I saw a low-flying plane (which is extremely rare sight here. We don't get planes over our town).

it seems that google earth is far superior to other maps if you live in remote location. or outside usa. speaking of updates...wait for it :) they will come.