Memory: 800MHz vs 667MHz

Is there much difference between memory running at 667MHz and that running at 800MHz? Assuming both memory modules are Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Thanks

Depends on your situation, okay I think I have an idea of what you're thinking about, so I'll try to explain.

Processor clock speed is determined by this simple equation: frontside bus ? multiplier = clock speed ( e.g. 333?9 = 2997 MHz )

Now in order to "get the most out of your system" without overclocking, you need RAM that has the ability to at least match that frontside bus speed. In this case that's 333?2double/b> data rate ) = DDR2-667 or ( 8 bits in a byte ) PC2-5300/5400. That's all you need, if you get RAM faster than that the RAM will only run at the speed that you define it to run at or the slowest running component. In the case of a stock system, the lowest common denominator is the frontside bus of 333 MHz. If you get anything faster, it'll still only run at that speed until you tell it otherwise either via overclocking or running a ratio that will set RAM to run faster than the FSB ( e.g. 2:1 where the RAM runs twice as fast as the FSB ).

So anything faster than what you need is essentially wasted. In this specific situation, there are no chips that have stock FSBes of 400 MHz, so buying DDR2-800 results in a wasted 66/67 MHz unless you're overclocking ( as the fastest FSB is 333 MHz ).

edit: Oh i forgot, there is the whole latency difference possibility. RAM that has been binned to run at higher frequencies is usually strong enough to run tighter timings at lower frequencies when compared to RAM that's rated for lower frequencies. Thus, there might be a performance difference resulting from the timing difference...but it's not significant in our current systems.

Edited by gwai lo

If you are using a Intel core duo proc. It won't make much real-life difference.

Synthetic benchies maybe, but in the end the apps perform on par.

Try looking (google) for older reviews on the core duo performance, and memory latency.

@ Tikimotel: It most likely supports it and that's why he's asking the question :rolleyes: Edit: Sorry, a couple posts late.

I don't think you will be able to tell much of a difference.