Does laptop battery drain itself when hibernating?

I have a Inspiron 9300 (basically insides built like a beefed up XPS2), battery lasted new for about 2-2.5hrs

Its nearing 3yrs old now I think, and battery lasts about 1.5-2hrs, depending what I am doing

I leave mine plugged into AC about 95% of the time and always have. Never have taken the battery out because it was going to be plugged in for a long time :p

I did for a long time when I got this laptop run it on a cooling pad, maybe that helped? I dunno

Good care goes a long way (Y)

Haha I wish I started with good care, now it's too late. My one and a half year old battery (2.5-3 hours when new) lasts a little over an hour now. I can charge it to full in the morning, shut down, and it will be at about 85% by evening.

Here's what I learned from experience and from research on batteries:

Batteries obviously deplete over time regardless of use but in the short term, if you are not planning to use the laptop for more than ~7-10 days, then remove the battery from the laptop. I did a "test" doing this with my laptop and my battery and the difference is significant.

I did not use my laptop for 3 weeks and I left the battery in after giving it a 100% charge. When I turned the laptop back on, the battery was around 80%. I then recharged it to 100% and did not use the laptop for 3 weeks but this time when I Removed the battery and put it back in 3 weeks later, the battery was at 95%.

Conclusion: If laptop will not be used in extended amount of time (few weeks or more), remove the battery and store it in a nice, cool area. This is also recommended by OEM's such as HP on their website. They also recommend removing the battery from the unit when not in use for some time and now I can see why.