BSOD randomly occures

Hi, I have recently upgraded my CPU in my motherboard, and now, randomly, I get BSOD's. When I restart my computer, Windows brings up the Error Reporting window, then redirects me to this website, to help identify the problem:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Respons...43-abae0a3908c1

I have a VIA P4PB 400 Motherboard (Info Here)

I used to have a P4 2.4 GHz installed, and upgraded to a P4 3.06Ghz w/Hyperthreading. (Info Here)

The Windows Error Reporting page talks about upgrading my BIOS, and I have upgraded it to the latest version (I believe I have anyways). It also talks about RAM. The RAM I have installed are 2 brand new (3 days old) sticks of RAM, so I'm pretty sure RAM is not the problem.

Are there any settings I should have to change on my BIOS to get this chip working? My MOBO says it supports Intels full range of 533Mhz Bus Processors. Thanks for the help.

I've got memtest on a bootable disc. I think that will do. If not, where is a good place to get memtest?

Last time I ran memtest, it just kept running doing several passes. How many passes should I do? I think I ran it for 4 hours lasttime and it was at like 10 passes

Just a quick question did you change all this hardware on the PC and not do a clean install? You have changed two major components and perhaps your old installation does not like it! Sometimes you can change hardware and no problem and other times it becomes a nightmare!

I've done a clean install, so that can't be the problem. About the HAL thing, my computer currently says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

That's fine.

If you did a memtest and it ran for at least 2-3 passes then you're okay there too.

I'd take the cpu and heatsink out, clean both and reapply thermal paste, you could have an overheat issue.

The other issue could be power, that 3.06 will be sucking more juice than the 2.4 did... How big's your PSU? What graphics cards/other devices do you have?

That's fine.

If you did a memtest and it ran for at least 2-3 passes then you're okay there too.

I'd take the cpu and heatsink out, clean both and reapply thermal paste, you could have an overheat issue.

The other issue could be power, that 3.06 will be sucking more juice than the 2.4 did... How big's your PSU? What graphics cards/other devices do you have?

I used to have a 350W. I upgraded the PSU to a 465W JUST before I installed my CPU.

Specs:

P4 3.06Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 2600 512MB (AGP)

80GB ATA HD

160GB SATA HD

RAID Controller Card

Onboard Audio

2 1GB RAM

On a side note, my Motherboard came with some utilities to check the CPU speed, Fan speeds, and computer temperatures. When I Upgraded my CPU, these utilities no longer work. What is a good free utility to monitor CPU Temperature?

I used to have a 350W. I upgraded the PSU to a 465W JUST before I installed my CPU.

Specs:

P4 3.06Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 2600 512MB (AGP)

80GB ATA HD

160GB SATA HD

RAID Controller Card

Onboard Audio

2 1GB RAM

On a side note, my Motherboard came with some utilities to check the CPU speed, Fan speeds, and computer temperatures. When I Upgraded my CPU, these utilities no longer work. What is a good free utility to monitor CPU Temperature?

I'd be also curious if there is any firmware for your motherboard that may have better stability support for the new CPU you installed.

The PSU should handle that fine.

You say the utilites stopped working with the new CPU? Thats strange, it *sounds* like the motherboard isnt compatible with the cpu, but it should be....

are you 100% sure that CPU is compatible with that mobo ? I dont think it is...

The 2.4 chip and the mobo was 533 mhz, the new CPU is a different family altogether and it is a 800 mhz chip...

What is the speed of the CPU when you reboot in DOS (POST/CMOS) ?

Edited by TEX4S

are you 100% sure that CPU is compatible with that mobo ? I dont think it is...

The 2.4 chip and the mobo was 533 mhz, the new CPU is a different family altogether and it is a 800 mhz chip...

What is the speed of the CPU when you reboot in DOS (POST/CMOS) ?

also go into your bios and check the voltage rails for your power supply. Post the +12v, +5v and +3.3v. I cannot find any descriptions on the firmware versions for your board just that they are available. I did see your board supports 400/533FSB. I see your P4 you have selected is 533Mhz so you should be good to go on that front. I'd also download the latest VIA 4n1 drivers for your motherboard as well. If you use any thermal compount, check the temperatures in the bios as well and post them. You really only need about a pea size amount when applying it to the chip.

I noticed in the BIOS, the CPU voltage was set to 1.525 and i changed it to 1.55 (according to the CPU specifications) Maybe this has something to do with it.

I applied just a little bit of thermal paste. (enough to cover the entire chip, pea sized.) Ideling temps are around 30-32 degrees celcius. When I play games and push the CPU to the limit, it gets as high as around 40-42 degrees celcius. I did a complete dust removal of the entire computer, including the heatsink, so I don't think heat is an issue.

I ran memtest86, and it did 2 passes with 0 errors, so RAM is out of the question.

TEX4S, the new chip I have put in, is also a 533mhz, not an 800mhz. (There is a link in the original post about new CPU specs)

After changing that BIOS setting (that I talked about above) it has yet to crash, but then again it will only crash maybe 1-2 times per day.

amb7247, I am going to reboot and get the info from my BIOS that you were looking for.

The 3.06 is definately a 533 bus chip, I used to own one.

Try disabling HyperThreading, that sometimes helps :)

I was thinking that might be it. The manual doesn't mention that the board supports/doesnt support hyperthreading. The word is nowheres to be found, although there is a Hyperthreading option in my BIOS. Disabling hyperthreading... will my system loose a lot of performance?

------

amb7247, here is the information you requested:

post-172889-1202257241.jpg

post-172889-1202257251.jpg

Also, for the 4in1 drivers, I went to this site and downloaded the top option. I have a P4X400 chipset, (Right below it there is another download option that says 4 in 1, but I believe that is for older chipsets, and that I should be downloading the top option)

And, one last thing. I installed a RAID card, because I had a SATA drive and I wanted to connect it to my non-SATA board. Should I update the BIOS on the RAID card, will that have any affect on the issue I'm having?

You'll actually GAIN performance by disabling HT.

Download the newer 4in1's, they'll work fine :)

Everything in that bios shot looks to be okay, you've got it all set right - very strange!

WOOOOOT! Post 2000 marked YAY! :D

You'll actually GAIN performance by disabling HT.

Download the newer 4in1's, they'll work fine :)

Everything in that bios shot looks to be okay, you've got it all set right - very strange!

WOOOOOT! Post 2000 marked YAY! :D

How do you GAIN performance by disabling HT? I know some MBs have problems with the Windows install with HT enabled, you just disable it, install Windows THEN enable it.

HT is used with one core, it emulates 2 cores by doing 2 threads of work. However since the cpu is processing SMP instructions, it leads to a slowdown in apps that don't take effect with HT - which is any non-dual-thread optimised app (Reads: almost any game, and most general software)

There might still be old benchmarks online that do tests between HT on and off. Most showed that you get a 5% gain from having HT off, and i've always done it on customers machines to prevent issues :)

Update:

I disabled Hyperthreading, and change my HAL to uniprocessor PC. I no longer get the BSODs, and the software that came with my Motherboard works again. This still ****es me off because I want to enable hyperthreading. My board MUST be compatible. HT is an option in my BIOS, and I've read online that this board supports HT. I wish I knew how to get this working.