Mouse and keyboard won't work together

Hi there,

i recently turned on my PC to find that my mouse wasn?t working. After a bit of playing around i realised that i could only use either my mouse or my keyboard at the one time but never the two at once.

I?ve tried various combinations of PS2 and USB mice/keyboards but with the same result.

Has anyone any ideas how to sort this or why it happened in the first place?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

I guess you are not using a KVM switch, as you would have mentioned it.

I am using one, and on one of the two ports, the mouse won't work, and the keyboard lights don't work.

Have you tried swapping their PS2 plugs in case they are in wrong slots, or the color codes are incorrect ?

No not using a KVM switch and have PS2 connectors in the right sockets have also tried USB keyboard and mouse and combinations of PS2 and USB but still get the same result. Only keyboard or mouse will work.

Well when i used Windows XP Media Edition.

I did had a problem on gaming while i was playing it.

Well you might new to re-install your mouse and keyboard. Try changing the keyboard with new one if you have new one.

Or may be if you re-installing doesn't work and try re-installing the windows xp. So it back to normal and new.

New development is that now only the keyboard works, PS2 or USB, and if i plug in the mouse, also PS2 or USb, the keyboard won't work either. On top of this the mouse pointer remains on the screen constantly even though it's not plugged in. And it's not in device manager to uninstall.

Nothing of note, checked email and a few websites. No new hardware, software, downloads etc. I ran an AVG scan just in case but that's clean. Tryed to run AVG Antispyware & AdAware but couldn't access it with the keyboard (any ideas how?) so ran a spybot scan, also clean. Beginning to think i'm gonna have to reinstall but have 5 users on this PC with their own settings & programs and am afraid they'll be affected by a reinstall, would i be right in thinking that?

Ok, a bit more info, i now have the mouse working but now the keyboard won't work again. When i plug in a PS2 keyboard it just freezes but has no error in device manager howerver when i plug in a USB keyboard i get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in device manager. Also i've noticed that the keyboard doesn't even work to get me into the BIOS at startup if the mouse is plugged in.

Anyone any ideas??

PS/2 does not support Hot Swap. If you are unlucky you might destroy something plugging it into PS/2 whilst computer is on.

(ive destroyed 2 Keyboard doing that..)

or well. PS/2 is not MADE for hotswap, but it can cause trouble.

Could be a good time to have a 2nd drive.

Add a 2nd drive and install xp on it.

It is possible to have two drives, each with XP on them.

You have to take precautions to avoid 'cross talking'.

(Tell system restore not to monitor the other drive)

I have a pc set up like that and I can tell the bios/cmos menu which one to boot into.

When installing XP on the 2nd drive, I had the first drive disconnected.

I don't use system restore on that pc as I use snapshots of each drive (taken while booted into the opposite drive). If you are using it, then you have to get in quick and tell them not to monitor the other drive.

I don't use any special software (No Partioning software, no Imaging software)

To replace the other drive, I boot into the opposite one, and peep across to delete all the files.

I then copy a snapshot (EG from a DVD or two), to replace all the files/folders.

The trick is to not reformat, to avoid XP getting huffy.

Once you have the new drive, you can see if it has the same problem.

Seems like a lot of effort to see if it has the same problem, but you have a 2nd XP which can be very handy.

Got to rush out, but can elaborate more later.

Rob

Please. I'm not looking to start an argument here, and I certainly feel a second HD is useful for most of us, but it has absolutely nothing to do with troubleshooting (except perhaps to troubleshoot a bad HD).

Poor allan, this is the second thread I've seen today where he offers advice then someone jumps down his throat :p

If you're having problems in the BIOS too then check IRQ settings maybe. If they're ok it could be a motherboard issue. Could try a BIOS update if you're feeling adventurous.