Mouse and keyboard won't work together

As you have mentioned a re-install of the OS and your fears of losing everything, you could attempt a repair install which will still preserve your applications and settings.

I would try both USB keyboard/mouse. See if your keyboard works at the prompt.

If so, log into your computer through safe mode. go to device manager and uninstall both the keyboard and the mouse and then reboot.

See what that does.

As you have mentioned a re-install of the OS and your fears of losing everything, you could attempt a repair install which will still preserve your applications and settings.

Not going to make a difference, he has the same problem before his OS loads.

Not going to make a difference, he has the same problem before his OS loads.

Quite correct, I wrote that after realizing his latest discovery but without mentioning it I am still curious if both USB and Serial failed to work in the BIOS. Some bios may not support USB.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a way around my problem. I installed a PCI 4 port USB card and plugged the mouse and keyboard into it and all is well again. :D :D

Starting to think it's a motherboard problem although my printer and MP3 work fine in the motherboard's USB ports.

Guess i'll find out the next time i reinstall Windows and i'll post the results here...

Cheers,

Steve.