Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

The Beta definitely had a few flaws, mostly performance, but was really a lot of fun - Can't wait to try it again.

But I still need to get a hold of a Bluetooth Headset. But I'm strapped for cash so unless I find a cheap solution, there won't be any speaking this weekend *sob* But we are still going to play, that's an order!

Yeah I lack a headset for now as well :(

I'll get one though!

Well then, we can go on a killing ( Dying? ) spree, mute style :laugh:

How many maps made it into the final version?

Good question, im not sure. I just booted it up to make sure it worked.

I'll try find out.

40 minutes till release in the UK :woot:

Why must you do that to me?

/hits Audioboxer with banhammer

^

Try to say that is gigapixels in his garden eh?

I do see a genuine ban coming now :laugh:

Whos going to UK midnight launch? Or is everyone already on there way to it?

^

Try to say that is gigapixels in his garden eh?

He didn't deny it yet :shiftyninja:

But man I hate living in such a small town, no night openings anywhere.

Our local Gamestop say they can't justify the price versus the pre-orders :(

Oh and pixels, that's not even funny :cry:

Just finished Act 1. Can sum it up in one word: disappointment.

It doesn't feel like an MGS game at all. It's way too much action. All the classic MGS moves, like backing against walls, are gone. The control system's weird, the traditional camera has been replaced with something much more annoying, and the environment is a bizarre mix of sweeping openness and tedious and mindless linearity. Oh, and the map might as well not be there - I got so frustrated at the game I decided to kill Snake a few different ways just to end the monotiny. Oh, and one part of the act I just stormed through - because, unlike any other MGS game, you can do that. And I hate that.

And this from somebody who loves the first 3 MGS games. I played MGS1 at least 6 or 7 times, and bought a Gamecube just for TTS.

This one, at the end of Act 1, is a rental. Let's hope it improves.

Edited by gigapixels
Added spoiler tags, just in case

^

A lot of people have said that.

Act1 is like a battlefield/shooter in comparison to typical MGS.

What you have to realise is the war is between the rebels and the PMC - You as Snake do not need to get involved.

Keep playing ;)

By the way, you don't back against a wall as that is pointless. When you take cover behind something, you face the danger. Which is why Snake does that.

Just finished Act 1. Can sum it up in one word: disappointment.

It doesn't feel like an MGS game at all. It's way too much action. All the classic MGS moves, like backing against walls, are gone. The control system's weird, the traditional camera has been replaced with something much more annoying, and the environment is a bizarre mix of sweeping openness and tedious and mindless linearity. Oh, and the map might as well not be there - I got so frustrated at the game I decided to kill Snake a few different ways just to end the monotiny. Oh, and one part of the act I just stormed through - because, unlike any other MGS game, you can do that. And I hate that.

And this from somebody who loves the first 3 MGS games. I played MGS1 at least 6 or 7 times, and bought a Gamecube just for TTS.

This one, at the end of Act 1, is a rental. Let's hope it improves.

God, Spoiler much!!!!! :wacko:

God, Spoiler much!!!!! :wacko:

Not really spoilers, just impressions on Act1.

Although I chose not to post any impressions until release. I guess he could have spoiler tagged his impressions... However Act1 is what all the reviewers/previewers have talked about anyway.

edit: I see Giga done it. Probably for the best as the game still isn't out properly everywhere (Y)

If you're going to talk about the gameplay in any way, shape, or form, keep it in spoiler tags for now ;)

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I've read zero reviews and I'd like to get my own impressions without seeing anybody else's first.

Specifically: Spoiler tag anything that has to do with gameplay specifics, as that post did. Overall impressions, like "I love it," or "I hate it," don't give anything away and are fine by me.

Edited by gigapixels

I don't see how it's a spoiler. It's pretty generic. Unless you were up at midnight to see if you could back against walls?

Oh, and there's SO MUCH product placement in this thing!

Otacton has Apple Cinema Displays and a Mac Pro, and Meryl has a Macbook Pro! And then there's Snake's iPod. What the hell?

Edited by Blackice

Just been looking around, anyone have some decent links to some of the High-Definition English trailers released up to this point - I want to get a quick fix before I go to sleep.

Gametrailers seems extremely cluttered with tons of random SD Footage and interviews.

I had no idea about how the first act plays, and now I do. I would rather go into it with a completely open mind, not knowing how it's going to be. It's more of an experience if you don't know what to expect.

Ok I'm gonna post my impressions on only Act1 for now - I'll keep it brief, and it won't have any storyline spoilers such as boss' or any major hints at what happens. Just a general outlook of Act 1. Honestly nothing major revealed below outside of what you'll know about Act1 from reviews and previews...

Act1 will come across to you as different from a normal out-take of a MGS game.

The scene is a battle field - It's not a quiet collection of corridors with some wandering guards, or a dense forrest with a watch out every couple hundred of meters.

There is literally a battle going on, and Snake is the outsider. Rebels take on PMCs in a full scale war.

You can choose to interact and help out, or try to sneak through unnoticed as soldiers blow chunks out each other. Remember they aren't concerned about you as such, however if you make yourself a threat, you'll inevitably be forced to get involved in the battles.

Act1 definitely feels new to the series, but as you continue and complete the game, you'll see the importance of Act1.

I found it a very enjoyable act as a breath of fresh air, but it definitely isn't a representation of all of MGS4. This isn't COD4 and all of you know that ;)

If you want to know more feel free to ask.