Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I guess I am the only person on the world who never played, and have no plans to play, any of the previous MG titles but am still going to play MGS4. :rofl:

LOL. I haven't played any MGS games before either. I got the MGS Essentials like a month ago but never got a chance to play it, too busy with GTAIV. But I will soon :)

Anyways, got my LE copy this morning from Gamestop. I can just say Kojima is a freaking genuis game creator. The game is really awesome. The controls are super, the dualshock/rumble is super cool. Guess I have to play the previous MGS game as well. :p

This is definately the game of the year for me.

wtf, I had no idea they included MGO with MGS4. I thought they were going to release it as a seperate game later?

What a nice surprise :woot: lol

I thought it was known for quite a while now that MGO would be in with MGS4 and DLC is supposed to be coming in by the bucket loads for MGO. 1 Hour 30 left till i can play it :)

This game is not only hard as nails, its one of the most intense games I've played on any platform in a long, long time.

I thought it was known for quite a while now that MGO would be in with MGS4 and DLC is supposed to be coming in by the bucket loads for MGO. 1 Hour 30 left till i can play it :)

I've tried my best to stay clear of this topic to keep most of it a surprise tbh :p

so anyone with a DS3 playing the game? how's the rumble support?

I want to play so bad.. silly work... giving me money to so I can buy games :p

so anyone with a DS3 playing the game? how's the rumble support?

I want to play so bad.. silly work... giving me money to so I can buy games :p

The rumble is really good. Strong, and in all the right places.

Pop I am glad you think the game is as hard as nails ! The game froze on me once but since that it has being fine. Everything about the game feels right, there is a lot more out and out gunplay then in any other Metal Gear.

so i'm only working 2 hours today :laugh:. taking off at 9:30, gamestop opens at 10, and the rest of the day is metal gear goodness. :D

Game is ok so far, what's up with the AI? They are glitching and getting stuck on objects and walking into each other and sometimes they dont even fire when im standing infront of them.

Got it a few hours ago, been playing since then but had to stop to go back to my job. :p

So far I dig it, gotta get used to the controls still and I hope this time I can get into CQC because I absolutely sucked at it in MGS3.

Pop I am glad you think the game is as hard as nails ! The game froze on me once but since that it has being fine. Everything about the game feels right, there is a lot more out and out gunplay then in any other Metal Gear.

Yeah, its still a stealth game at heart but the little skirmish fights you get involved with are excellent

Game is ok so far, what's up with the AI? They are glitching and getting stuck on objects and walking into each other and sometimes they dont even fire when im standing infront of them.

Not had that at all. The AI so far has been nothing short of extreme in everyway.

Try playing the game on big boss hard and see what the AI is like :|

As I said reading the manual is a good idea before diving in!

How many of you forgot to watch the act1 briefing by jumping right into the game and not selecting mission briefing from the main menu? ;) You only need to do that for act1, every other mission briefing shows naturally in-game.

So has anyone watched the extra Blu-Ray documentary thing you get with it yet?

nope sorry... I won't watch it until I've finished the game.

Well so far I'm not impressed, I hope the online is good. It's definitely a good looking game, but the gameplay itself just feels awkward, even more than the previous MGS games. I'll get back to it after I finish Ninja Gaiden, hopefully I'll start liking it more. I loved all the previous MGS games, but this one just feels like it's trying too hard to be epic.

Well so far I'm not impressed, I hope the online is good. It's definitely a good looking game, but the gameplay itself just feels awkward, even more than the previous MGS games. I'll get back to it after I finish Ninja Gaiden, hopefully I'll start liking it more. I loved all the previous MGS games, but this one just feels like it's trying too hard to be epic.

Gameplay as in the shooting?

I thought it was an absolute no-brainer shooting was 10x better in MGS4.

Shooting/fighting seemed to be an afterthought in previous games with the poor cameras, poor FPS mode and poor aiming.

It's no COD4 in terms of aiming/moving and shooting, but it's much better than the previous games.

Oh the shooting is definitely improved, the aiming was terrible in the previous games. Snake's movements just don't feel natural at all, but that's a minor gripe. I've only got a couple hours logged so far so I can't really complain yet. It just didn't wow me like I hoped it would.

I love the new emphasis on gunplay, I totally kicked the stealth aspect out the window and I'm running around with decked out rifles and heavy machine guns :laugh: I love it!

Oh the shooting is definitely improved, the aiming was terrible in the previous games. Snake's movements just don't feel natural at all, but that's a minor gripe. I've only got a couple hours logged so far so I can't really complain yet. It just didn't wow me like I hoped it would.

But he's old and frail!!!!111

:laugh:

I'll give you some more time and hopefully you get used to it/like it better (Y)

I love the new emphasis on gunplay, I totally kicked the stealth aspect out the window and I'm running around with decked out rifles and heavy machine guns :laugh: I love it!

I started on hard, and I'm actually doing the first Act in stealth!

I'm going for the kill no one "achievement" to get the unlock it gives. So it's not possible for me to really go guns blazing anymore :(

The knock out "dart gun" :p weapons you get are dire in comparison to the killer weapons.

By the way, spoiler

Has anyone come across your first meeting with the B&B unit (you don't fight, just watch) in Act1 yet? What did you think?!

(spoiler takes place about half way through act1, reference to a boss)

Also the first meeting with the frogs in Act1 is pretty cool ain't it? :D

Currently on Act 2, just killed Octopus, great fight - Really loved her mimic shapes, like the mrk. II.

But there are no real scenes where I've gone "Wow", but I had a laugh at most Akibar scenes, I mean that's just nasty :laugh: