Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Same here., with all those pretty weapons... :p Ah well, I'll try mastering stealth in my second run.

I'm doing that now, it's effing difficult in Act1 on hard :( I'm not killing anyone at all.

Yeah first play though you've gotta use weapons - Over 70 to choose from :woot:

Just you guys wait till later on! ;)

The fan service will cause you to seizure!

ps. Who's going to be first to complete outside of me! :o The race is on.

Just you guys wait till later on! ;)

The fan service will cause you to seizure!

ps. Who's going to be first to complete outside of me! :o The race is on.

This game doesn't deserve to be beaten on launch day in a race to see who can finish the fastest.

This game doesn't deserve to be beaten on launch day in a race to see who can finish the fastest.

It won't be beaten on launch day, unless you're not human.

I was joking, I will just be interested though to see who does it first.

Fan service?

I've just completed Act 1. Act 2 is looking sweet though!!

You'll see what I mean ;)

Got mine today, only managed a couple of hours play due to work (Stupid job!). Took me some getting used to, I haven't played a metal gear game since MGS2 and this one is obviously a lot different, especially the lack of RADAR but I suppose that's not a big deal once you get used to it.

So far I'm definitely liking it, got a few gripes here and there (winner of the most abrupt, pointless product placement of the year goes to Hideo Kojima for putting an iPod in the game - that actually ruined part of the experience for me), such as the constant references to Hideo Kojima everywhere. I mean it's a nice touch, but sometimes it can be a bit TOO much.

I'll see if it gets any worse for the rest of the game.

GOT IT! woot! and I'm home! woot x 2!

...but the female wants to get dinner then watch a movie... so I'm going to have to wait :(

I've been waiting for a few months... so just a couple of hours won't kill me

OMG I can hardly wait ^_^

MGS4 is so good that it deserves to be savoured.

It should not be rushed, it should be enjoyed, it is a game of astonishing quality. Games like this are Rare indeed, your lucky if you get to play one every couple of years of this quality.

Enjoy ever single second of it.

Got mine today, only managed a couple of hours play due to work (Stupid job!). Took me some getting used to, I haven't played a metal gear game since MGS2 and this one is obviously a lot different, especially the lack of RADAR but I suppose that's not a big deal once you get used to it.

So far I'm definitely liking it, got a few gripes here and there (winner of the most abrupt, pointless product placement of the year goes to Hideo Kojima for putting an iPod in the game - that actually ruined part of the experience for me), such as the constant references to Hideo Kojima everywhere. I mean it's a nice touch, but sometimes it can be a bit TOO much.

Dont go crazy if you see an Apple iBook too :)

:o

The iPod actually plays quite a large part in the game - Podcasts plus it plays music during gameplay. Word is when firmware 2.4 hits, you can use your own music.

I mean they could have used a generic non brand music player to do this, but does it really matter? :/

You also pick up new music tracks throughout the game ;)

Whoops, I left the game on pause and my total playtime for Act 1 is now near 8hrs :laugh:

On the plus side, things just got a hell of a lot more interesting :woot:

Whoops, I left the game on pause and my total playtime for Act 1 is now near 8hrs :laugh:

On the plus side, things just got a hell of a lot more interesting :woot:

Liar! You just suck at gameeezzz1111!!!

As I said earlier in my Act1 impressions, it really is a get-to-know MGS4 act - Yes it's still really good IMO, but the game picks up much more as things go on ;)

You'd expect any story driven game to start off quite slowly though....

there is a radar, you just have to get it ;-)

Yeah I've got the eye piece, but the RADAR isn't the same as previous games. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, it just takes some time getting used to.

A bit like the controls - I don't like how they've mapped crouch and roll to the same button, all too often snake seems to crouch when I want him to roll.

As for the iPod, I'd have preferred it to be some "special" brand instead of an Apple iPod. Not because I've got anything against Apple, but because it's completely out of place in the game - it's an old iPod model in a game set decades in the future, it has no place there.

I like the idea of the music player, just the branding is silly.

Yeah I've got the eye piece, but the RADAR isn't the same as previous games. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, it just takes some time getting used to.

A bit like the controls - I don't like how they've mapped crouch and roll to the same button, all too often snake seems to crouch when I want him to roll.

As for the iPod, I'd have preferred it to be some "special" brand instead of an Apple iPod. Not because I've got anything against Apple, but because it's completely out of place in the game - it's an old iPod model in a game set decades in the future, it has no place there.

I like the idea of the music player, just the branding is silly.

The thing is people can relate to the product as an MP3 player, as well.... the iPod is the most popular MP3 player out there.

Plus of course I'm sure Konami made money of it.

It's kinda like how GTA4 has a ton of branding, but as we know branding for GTA4 is a mockery of real-life counterparts as that fits the game GTA4 is.

I can see where you're coming from, but to be completely honest I think it's quite cool it's an actual ipod, and the scroll wheel functions with the analog stick like the actual thing does.

That, and the fact I love my pod :laugh:

oh and what's the secret behind Sunny's song with the numbers?:p I've not bothered to write them down and try make any sense of them, do they mean anything at all?

oh and what's the secret behind Sunny's song with the numbers?:p I've not bothered to write them down and try make any sense of them, do they mean anything at all?

JUst heard that and was wondering too :p

I really hate how you have to exit to the main menu to view the mission briefings...seems pointless unless I am missing something

:blink:

Each time you start a new chapter it shows you the mission briefing.

:blink:

Each time you start a new chapter it shows you the mission briefing.

I just started Act 1 where the girl was singing and it showed the eggs then that was it ( I had to go into the main menu to see the rest of the cutscene, from her bringing the eggs down and what not)....I then started over thinking it was bugged and the same thing. Does it start "acting" normal after Act 1?

IGN US review is up!

10 Presentation

A story worthy of a feature length film, with action that keeps you engaged from the second you hit the start button 'til the final credits roll.

10 Graphics

Incredibly detailed and visually breathtaking, with amazing camera angles, MGS4 is one of the most beautiful titles ever made.

10 Sound

Haunting melodies, the re-introduction of classic themes via iPod, and perfect line delivery by actors -- this is an aural delight from start to finish.

10 Gameplay

Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.

10 Lasting Appeal

There are dozens of secrets and Sexy times, along with tons of ways to approach any combat situation. Plus, when you're done with the single La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo, MGO will keep you engaged for weeks on end.

Masterful OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

:woot:

BTW I still do not have MGS4 stupid Gamestop.com or UPS messed something up. I got over night shipping and its still on:

Shipped/Billed On: 06/11/2008

Service: NEXT DAY AIR

Weight: 1.00 Lb

I am not happy :( I am e-mailing them right now to get a refund on the shipping. They have a street date delivery guarantee if you dont get your order on June 12th they will refund the shipping price.

I bought the game at lunch today and have so far played through the first act and my early judgment is this game was way overhyped. I can see why the game reviewers were limited to topics and Kojima said he was disappointed with it. This game essentially feels like Soldier of Fortune: Payback except someone went the extra mile to write a semi-interesting plotline and develop cutscenes for it. The gameplay is linear and absent between overextended cutscenes that go rambling on about a plotline that makes little sense to someone who has not played the original titles. I don't even think GTA IV was this overhyped, seriously consider this as a rental if you are only interested in the singleplayer, I haven't dove into multiplayer yet to see if redeems the rest of the pricetag.