Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Yeah! I don't think I'm going to be going back to my own house until this game is finished.

As far as plot goes, how would you rate it (without giving any spoilers of course) as to the ending? Do you think the ending to this game gives the series justice as being the "finale", or do they just leave a whole bunch of loose ends again and keep you begging for a fifth game. :p

No spoilers of the ending (except answering your question of "loose ends"), but still in tags

They pretty much clear up everything - Some might say it suffers a little because every hole is plugged, but I'm really happy with the ending :) - Expect some OMGs ;)

That's good to hear. I can almost already feel empty inside knowing this is going to be the last game of the series, and I haven't even finished the game yet!

Sadly, this is the first MGS game I have played. The PS3 is the first console that I have ever bought, and the BD capability was one of the main selling points. But whatever, this game looks so incredible and it's just breath taking. I haven't played much of it yet but so far I am extremely impressed.

Whilst one or two of the textures do look 'flat', the overall feel (and look) is one of the best I've played in a long while.

Sadly, this is the first MGS game I have played. The PS3 is the first console that I have ever bought, and the BD capability was one of the main selling points. But whatever, this game looks so incredible and it's just breath taking. I haven't played much of it yet but so far I am extremely impressed.

:) Enjoy it for what it is!

I would say unfortunately the game isn't as forgiving for first time players in regards to the story as I thought it would be. Turns out the flashbacks weren't what I thought they were going to be like, and it's very story heavy.

Really would help if people played MGS1-3, or at least read/watched the story line online in either a plot guide/recap video or just all the cutscenes from the game, some sites have uploaded.

However I'm sure a lot of newcomers will enjoy the game, it's certainly a lot more camera/gameplay friendly than the previous titles!

where from? thats a good price.

I have a Virgin credit card so I get 10% discount when I use it at Zavvi.

For anyone interested in the Uniqlo t-shirts, there's a load on eBay.

Just bought myself a cardboard box one :laugh:

EDIT: Accidentally ordered size XL. Hopefully they check their inbox and send a medium :(

Edited by ynnoj

Act 4 = Holy Sh ... :|

I can die happy now.

I thought there were only 3 acts. I'll look forward to it when I get home from college tonight, which isn't for another 2 and a half hours. :(

BTW, has anyone notice the Connections between the names of the acts (well, up to Act 3 at the moment)? Act 1 is called "Solid Sun", Act 2 is "Liquid Sun", and Act 3 is "Third Sun". I was predicting the 3rd act to be called "Solidus Sun", after seein the previous ones. Is this something to do with the story, or is it just nothing?

arg... why can't I stop thinking of this game! >_<

I've only bee at work for an hour and already it feels like I've been here sooo long...

...I'm itching to finish act 1 :p

I have two questions.

Is this the final installment of the MGS series?

Do you think they will port it over to the PC since the first two games were on the PC?

I just completed this game

No words can describe how epic it was :|

That's really all I can say :|

-Rich-

Completed already! How long did it take you to complete?

I've just completed it too.

My god, it was truly awesome.

after getting home around 2'ish yesterday with the game I played for 14 hours straight, slept till 12, then finished the game off today.

An amazing game, worthy of 10/10 from me.

My stats from completing the game:

Total Play Time - 17:03:10

Continues - 9

Alert Phases - 79

Kills - 296

Recovery Items used - 46

Weapon Types Procured - 51

Flashbacks Watched - 160

Special Items Used - not used

Current Drebin Points - 209,578

Confer the title of - Hawk

What were yours Audio?

I have two questions.

Is this the final installment of the MGS series?

Do you think they will port it over to the PC since the first two games were on the PC?

Yes this is THE final installment. With Snake in it at least...

That's why if the plot isn't epic, then it won't do the series justice at all!

Regarding a PC port, I would HOPE that they do, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: Just did a search online, and this game WILL NOT be ported to any other platform.

Edited by -SHiFT-

I without a doubt agree with this quote taken from the IGN US Review...

All of these features contribute to an excellent gameplay experience, but additionally striking are its visuals, which make MGS4 one of the best looking titles to date in gaming history. It's apparent that Guns of the Patriots squeezes every pixel possible out of the PS3 and renders them beautifully. As a result, players are witnesses to one of the finest games ever created on any console or PC.

The review does go on to mention some low res textures, and albeit it I am still only on Act 1 (and just cannot wait for work to be over today so I can play) but about the only low res textures I can see are the papers and stuff that are literally flying throughout the environment to give a true sense of a war torn environment.

Oh also Audioboxer had mentioned in this thread awhile back people should read the manual, and I just want to reiterate the fact people should indeed do this. I read the manual in bed last night before going to sleep, and I learned a couple of things I am not sure if I would have known otherwise if I did not look at the manual. Perhaps they show you some of these things as the game progress' but it is nice to know them without relying on the game itself.

Yes this is THE final installment. With Snake in it at least...

That's why if the plot isn't epic, then it won't do the series justice at all!

Regarding a PC port, I would HOPE that they do, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: Just did a search online, and this game WILL NOT be ported to any other platform.

lol, I just got this image of a 50gb install, I remember installing mgs2, and having the option of either 3.5gb or 7gb install, which was a lot at the time.

any confirmation on the final disc size? is it as big as kojima said?

lol, I just got this image of a 50gb install, I remember installing mgs2, and having the option of either 3.5gb or 7gb install, which was a lot at the time.

any confirmation on the final disc size? is it as big as kojima said?

33Gb apparently.

15 hours :s

-Rich-

Is that including watching ALL the cutscenes?

15 hours :s

-Rich-

What difficulty did you play on? I started on Solid Normal.

It can't be. I'm over 4 hours in and just started Act 2.

I think it probably is. My friend (the one who was playing it on easy :rofl:) finished it in 16 hours. Thought that was near enough non-stop lol.