Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Just completed Act 1 and being an outsider to MGS (Played half of 1, completed 2, sold my PS2 before 3 was released) I'm finding it a bit... Underwhelming.

Sure it looks nice, I maybe a bit spoiled after playing Crysis, but it feels like the textures are missing that something. Sometimes the combat feels a bit clunky (you can pop round cover but not over it?) The game also assumes that you know the story inside out and makes little effort in the way of outlining any of the main characters to people new to the series.

But on a happier note, the cut scenes are not as intrusive as I imagined them to be, I'm a big fan of the Half Life & Bioshock attempts at immersion. While MGS breaks it up, it does it in such a way it feels like your watching one mans epic vision unfold before you and you're enveloped by the magnificence of it all. The production values are top notch. The voice acting, though a bit corny in parts, feels like a labor of love rather than work. The quirky little set pieces are growing on me too.

I'm hoping the game improves after this first Act as it feels like a glorified intro at the moment and all a bit monotonous. I'm want a bit more action and pace at the moment!

Edit: As a slight observation, it's not selling as well as I thought it would. I went to the center of Liverpool today and EVERYWHERE had at least 10+ copies of it in stock. Considering GTA4 was as rare as rocking horse **** I was surprised to see it not sold out at all. I guess the install base of PS3's must not be very large in the North West of England!

Edited by Spookie

Best game I've played in many, many years. You never know whats going to happen.

I know the whole back story, and I've been following it since Metal Gear... so it's wonderful to see things wrapped up and confirmed. :p

I'm up to Act 5.

Disregard my earlier comment, cut scenes are coming so thick and fast I'm having one interrupt the action at the rate of every 5 minutes now. I need some popcorn because I won't be playing by time I get to the next act at this rate! :/

The game also assumes that you know the story inside out and makes little effort in the way of outlining any of the main characters to people new to the series.

Like every other MGS game.

Seriously people, this is not like Final Fantasy games where every game its totally independent. This is a coherent and constant universe. I think the problem here its people expectatives. :/

I have to agree with spookie there about the cut scene coming every often, but It's a good thing that shlt explained lot of stuff which was not only eating me since snake eater (the first MG game I ever played). They did the best chorography and facial animation in a game, it’s true that you're watching a movie which in some part you can act.

I am on Act 5 right now maybe around 12 hours in or something around there.

SPOILER

SNAKE AND MERYL ARE BROTHER AND SISTER.I AM JUST KIDDING ; ) MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE WHO HAVN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET.

Edited by bmaher

I just bought this game and I cannot play it. It freezes on the install screen. Anyone have any issues with freezing or glitching?. The best game the PS3 has to offer so far and can't even play it. :crazy:

Christ, just found my first frustrating moment!

( Posting in spoilers, in case somebody hasn't got game yet - It's from Act 1 )

I'm on my second play through, I get to the militia safehouse and the first 4-5 militia I see say "Oh, It's you again". Then out of nowhere, some random militia man sees me, go into alert mode and they start shooting me - Haven't even done anything. I'm trying to do a play through without alerts and I didn't save for a while so nothing to do but load and do a huge chunk of the level AGAIN. Christ how lame ...

I just bought this game and I cannot play it. It freezes on the install screen. Anyone have any issues with freezing or glitching?. The best game the PS3 has to offer so far and can't even play it. :crazy:

Make sure the disc is clean , delete the install it did and restart . Not many people are having freezing issues.

Christ, just found my first frustrating moment!

( Posting in spoilers, in case somebody hasn't got game yet - It's from Act 1 )

I'm on my second play through, I get to the militia safehouse and the first 4-5 militia I see say "Oh, It's you again". Then out of nowhere, some random militia man sees me, go into alert mode and they start shooting me - Haven't even done anything. I'm trying to do a play through without alerts and I didn't save for a while so nothing to do but load and do a huge chunk of the level AGAIN. Christ how lame ...

Just make sure the militia are all working on the same side. I made the same mistake and it turned out that 3 of them were from one group and a couple more were from elsewhere and I had taken a few of them out earlier on in the level. The Solid Eye is invaluable when approaching other groups as it tells you if they are friendly/hostile or neither.

Stuck it in spoiler quotes just incase.

I have d discovered a bug :(

im on the middle east level Act one and just after u meet meril or whatever shes called you go into that building to fight all those screaming girly sounding monsters yh? < i lbelive liquids private army >

well after the bit near the start of that where one of our guys says from behind! and there supposed to come out of the door and throw grenades..

well

they didnt do that this time instead t my guys are njust standing still while me im able to move freely arund the level lol

dont know what happened but all the monsters are gone :s

otherwise great game!

glad i got my dual shock for it :p

By the way, you guys especially newcomers should check out this

Feature: 42 Secrets to Mastering Metal Gear Solid 4 -- SPOILER FREE

SPOILER FREE! GamePro's Sid Shuman has finished Metal Gear Solid 4 twice. Here are his top strategies for mastering the game...and he won't blow any secrets!

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/192148.shtml

i just finished act 1 its been awesome so far. you get the usual tactical/sneaking feel of MGS, the FPS feel for shooting and customization of weapons like COD4.

i nearly missed out the chance to play the game over the weekend because the UPS delivery man dropped a note in my mail box at 5pm without ringing the door bell. :( thankfully i found the note at 5.15 and called them up to hold my parcel. amazingly they were still open at night so i could collect it on friday instead of monday. :D

It is so awesome.

One of the best things is - as Kojima said - that the game takes you back 10 years sometimes. The sudden first level of MGS1, f'ing genius! Also the "Wait! You have to put in disc2!" message from Otacon - beautiful!

GAME are giving one of those statues away in a competition. http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=927...s-_-mgs4-_-comp You've gotta spot Old Snake in a "Where's Wally"-style picture. He's in B3. :D

BTW, I finished MGS4 this morning, and all I have to say is WOW!!! :omg: The ending was fantastic and completely unexpected! If you haven't finished it yet, I'll just say that it completely rewrites the entire story of Metal Gear. I also loved the final boss battle with Liquid/Ocelot If you're wondering about the so-called "90 minute cutscene", yeah, it's at the end. There are a few tearjerker moments in it. :cry: I won't say where, when and what they are, but you'll know when you get there.

Here's the stats of my playthrough:

• Total Play Time: 17 hours 16 minutes 14 seconds
  • Continues: 10
  • Alert Phases: 101
  • Kills: 380
  • Recovery Items Used: 51
  • Weapon Items Procured: 38
  • Flashbacks Watched: 181
  • Special Items Used: None (what the hell are the special items, anyway???

I recieved the title of Eagle, which is the 10th highest rank on the list. I also got a few lower ranks, including Pig, Panther, Cow, and another one, but I can't remember the name of it. One of them was for getting a lot of headshots, which was basically all I got whenever I face the [spoilers]FROGS[/spoilers].

BTW, I LOVED the references to MGS1! I'm not talking about Act 4 in overall, but the "disc change" bit in Act 4, and Psycho Mantis in Act 5. Did anyone here with a DUALSHOCK 3 controller actually get the no rumble line when playing it?

Yo guys... I have a problem with Vamp. I don't know how the **** I'm going to kill him.

I have tried with the Mk. 2 Pistol -> won't die. I have tried with a rifle -> still won't die :(

I have also tried with both at the same time..... Can someone please tell me how to defeat him.

Yo guys... I have a problem with Vamp. I don't know how the **** I'm going to kill him.

I have tried with the Mk. 2 Pistol -> won't die. I have tried with a rifle -> still won't die :(

I have also tried with both at the same time..... Can someone please tell me how to defeat him.

I've PM'ed you with what to do. ;)

Vamp is "immortal" due to his nanomachines regenerating his body at an incredible rate, what's in your inventory that could possibly suppress his nanomachines for a small period of time? ;)

-Rich-

Vamp is "immortal" due to his nanomachines regenerating his body at an incredible rate, what's in your inventory that could possibly suppress his nanomachines for a small period of time? ;)

-Rich-

Sorry, I beat you to it. ;)