Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

just a quick tip for anyone being stuck during boss battles, call Otacon a couple of times ^_^ he gives you very... useful... hints :p ahem

just a quick tip for anyone being stuck during boss battles, call Otacon a couple of times ^_^ he gives you very... useful... hints :p ahem

<cough>No he doesn't!</cough> :D Every time I called him during a boss battle, he spoke gibberish! When I called him up during the battle with Vamp, he always just told me to make him pay for killing Emma (E.E. from MGS2) The only time he spoke a bit of sense during a boss battle was when I was facing Screaming Mantis. But before that, he was stating the bloody obvious! :D

Metal Gear Solid T-Shirts for the UK

Want to get your hands on those limited edition Metal Gear Solid 4 T-Shirts, but don't live anywhere near Tokyo or New York? Lucky for you, they're also available in the UK via the magic of the interwebs. Five tees can be found on the UNIQLO website, so if your MGS collection doesn't quite feel complete yet, they're waiting for you to pick them up.

Article>>>> http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/13/metal-...vailable-in-uk/

Yeah, I don't know how small you British people are, but I don't expect to slip into an XS shirt anytime soon, which seems to be the only size they have.

US: Metal Gear Solid and Walmart deal result in 180% sales increase for PS3 (Worldwide First day sales of 1.5 million including bundles)

VGChartz.com, reports that the release of Metal Gear Solid 4, combined with the $100 Playstation 3 giftcard offer at Walmart stores across the US, resulted in a 180% increase of Playstation 3 hardware sales in America this week. Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles sold out at most major retailers across the US with no confirmation of further shipments so far.

According to our data provided by retailers all over the world, Playstation 3 week to week sales are likely to more than double from last week on a worldwide basis.

Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment of Hideo Kojimas famous Metal Gear Solid series, saw sales of 300,000 units in Japan on day one. Worldwide, first day sales are estimated to stand at roughly 1.5 million units, including bundles.

VGChartz has updated the story, stating that it has sold now 1.3 million on day 1.

-Over 350,000 units were sold in Japan (including bundles) on Day 1

-Over 400,000 units sold in the Americas on Day 1

-The 70,000 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles supplied by Sony sold out immediately most retailers. It is expected that the hardware boost will be short-lived and PS3 sales will return to normal levels within the next couple of weeks.

-Many retailers have accused Sony of severely underestimating demand and suggest that they could have sold 2-3 times as many if the supply had been available

Source: http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-157537.aspx

So, heres a question.

How many of you guys use CQC frequently?

Me, personally.. I never used it. Even in MGS3.. I just found it a lot simpler to one-shot someone in the safe distance with a Tranqulizer Gun (Or, if I was being a real wimp.. the EZ Gun :p)

So...

That made the Vamp battle quite frustrating for me. I had to pause the game and flip through the manual to learn the CQC basics! haha. :D I got it in the end though.

<cough>No he doesn't!</cough> :D Every time I called him during a boss battle, he spoke gibberish! When I called him up during the battle with Vamp, he always just told me to make him pay for killing Emma (E.E. from MGS2) The only time he spoke a bit of sense during a boss battle was when I was facing Screaming Mantis. But before that, he was stating the bloody obvious! :D
Hmm, I called him like three times during battle with Vamp and he pretty much outright told me to use *said battle tactic*

I just finished the game by the way.

Took me 18 hours flat to finish it - don't remember the ranks anymore, but they were quite right compared to my playing style. One about gathering as much health items as possible, one about shooting ridiculously much enemies and not being spotten and one about rolling forward all the time when in trouble lol. I found the entire game extremely epic and near the end, I must admit, I was tearing up from time to time (yeah I "cry" at movies, so what). For me, MGS4 couldn't have been better, there's not imaginable way... the story... the little things reminding you of other games... everything is just... spot on. Really big props and deep respect for Kojima-sama to pull this off like this!

Some random secrets/easter eggs you might not know!

Don't read unless you've completed the game. I copy pasted them, didn't type myself.

The Hind D is still in the Snowfield

If you tranq Crying Wolf then the wolves in the area will follow you

There are Policenauts and ZoE2 backgrounds on Otacon's computer

The three chickens in the Nomad are named Solid, Liquid and Solidus.

If you flick the remote for the screen Campbell talks to you on with the Mk II you get pictures of girls in their underwear.

If you go to the crop circle whilst hunting for Naomi the Colonel will talk about the time he get abducted.

When tracking naomi, theres a pmc standing next to a claymore, head northeast, you'll see a metal plate on the ground coverd in signatures and handprints fron the mgs4 development team.

if you call rose on the codec and shake your sixaxis, her boobs will jiggle.

The first pistol from MGS is under the truck it's usually in at Shadow Moses.

During a cutscence, you can shake your controller to return snake to his regular camo.

When first see Screaming Mantis in Act 1 and you can press L1, if you look to the left of her there is a seperate image floating in the sky. (I couldn't make it out because i was kind of late to press L1)

in the Shadow Moses when at Otacon's office... he asks you for the code... just input 14893 you'll hear a familiar sound after hitting enter!... that will give you 100,000 DP points!

Same part... when the gecko appears, make it easier on yourself and send the MkIII over to the electric console [to the right of the elevator], you know the one you destroyed on MGS1 with the rocket.. just stand next to it and activate it... Kaboom! instant kill! the Gecko goes down

During the later acts, theres a PS3 unpacked in the Nomad.

When you switch your controller number when your TV switches to HIDEO 2 during the Mantis fight, Otacon will come on the Codec telling you that trick doesnt work twice!

There is so many hidden easter eggs in the game :woot:

the floating image during your first encounter with Screaming Mantis is Psycho Mantis as far as I could tell - this is "revealed" later in the game

The shaking controller to remove camo is not an easter egg, that's just a standard feature which also work during cutscenes.

You can also press up on the D-pad to zoom during cutscenes and look around, but an extremely useless feature :p

( Not going to tag these, not spoilers )

MGS4 and MGO have "screen-capture" feature

Back at the GT forums, user Rikitatsu just found out it is possible to capture the screen in both Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Online. Here are the instructions::

*Plug a Keyboard in your PS3 + Press "Print Screen" or "prnt scrn" on your Keyboard, and it will save it in the harddisk

OR

*Plug another Sixaxis and Press R1 to capture a screen

Source: http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=433611

I'm sorry, but that is the most freaking awesome feature EVER! Why aren't developers implementing this in all games? My god, best looking console game to date and have some incredible features, god I love it!

Since Konami had the forethought to allow you to export your camera photos from within MGS4 to the XMB, it's easy to share them with the rest of the world.

The camera can be found by driving the Mk.II around during the Act 2 Mission Briefing. You can get it in later Act breifings as well, and if you wait till Briefing 4, Sunny and Naomi will have used the camera and taken photos of themselves.

The camera operates in two modes: 1P (taking over for your weapon, making it difficult to keep firing), or 2P (the second controller can be used to take pictures).

To get your photos out of the game:

1. Main Menu > Photo Album

2. Select the photo you wish to export.

3. Play with the editing controls if you feel the need, then pick "Export"

4. Select "Normal Upload" for a full size picture.

5. Confirm that you want to export the photo.

6. You'll receive a confirmation that it's been exported. The file can be found in the Photos section of the XMB. Copy it off to a memory card or flash stick and do what you will!

Topic of pictures: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312302

Oh, btw, didn't know if anyone has tried before, but I did, as I do with all MGS games :p; When you finish off the bosses with a tranquilizer gun you get their face as a FaceCamo outfit... not really usefull, but at least it's some collectable :p

WOW I still do not have MGS4 Gamestop.com messed up the order. Here is their reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Based on the amount of time that has passed, it appears that your order

has been lost in transit. We apologize for any inconvenience this may

have caused. We will be happy to assist with a replacement or a refund

per your preference. Please let us know which method you wish to pursue.

A refund in shipping has been provided as the order was not delivered on

the street date.

Best Regards,

Valerie

Customer Service Agent

:( :(

Damn, that sucks Ninja :s

EDIT: Saw someone saying you can't knock on walls any more, to attract guards attention. Just found out, you still can.

Edited by Sethos

Just got to beginning of Act 4 last night. Probably going to finish today, or next week :p

I liked the beginning of Act 4 when there's a bit of the beginning from MGS1.

I just finished it. I haven't ever been so blown away by a game and its story. Especially the ending is a complete mind****!

After I finished the game, I noticed a new 'Password' entry in the 'Extras' screen. Anyone know what this is about?

Damn, that sucks Ninja :s

EDIT: Saw someone saying you can't knock on walls any more, to attract guards attention. Just found out, you still can.

Yep, you use MKII or whatever it is called. if I recall correctly you get an action and if you press triangle he knocks.

I am still on Act 1, did not get to play much today.

So I had a super frustrating moment already, more funny yet annoying then anything else.

WARNING:

Nothing I am about to say is a spoiler in regards to the story itself, but I am going to get very specific about a certain area of Act 1.

SO DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED ACT 01 YET

I was right at the checkpoint where you get the steel drum. It is also the first area you are introduced to the mortar guns. While at the second mortar gun and the left street, I quickly figured out if you just sit there, the PMC will just keep coming and coming. So I sat there a good 15 minutes, maybe even more, and just kept shelling them.All so I could go and collect their guns for Drebin.

So it is working perfectly, the militia all have hearts over their heads because they love me since I am helping them, and right next to the mortar on the right hand side is an alley. Well the PMC soldiers kept coming to that alley, and if I did not mortar them, a militia guy would throw an incendiary grenade at them. Eventually I would just mortar them anyway, and occasionally the milita AI would throw a grenade anyway even if no one was there. It is definitely a small glitch or bug.

After killing 6 PMC in that alley within about 13 seconds of eachother, I decided to go and collect their guns for Drebin. I get the guns, turn around to go back to the mortar, and literally right when I turn around I get an incendiary grenade smack dab on my head and die instantly. The militia guy obviously for whatever reason confused me for PMC. I WAS SO ANGRY I just wasted 45 minutes at least and did not get to a checkpoint, and had to do it all over.

It was so stupid it was funny though. It was still annoying though.

You should have had a ration equipped =P

I just finished the game. Well, I say just, it was more like 2 hours ago, the ending is bloody long.

I have to say, this is easily the most Epic game I've ever played in my life. I've played games with more engrossing storylines, games with better AI, games with bigger battles, but this one is definitely the most Epic and probably the most cinematic.

When you play through the game yourself (Especially the later acts), you'll see what I mean. Hideo Kojima was right when he said this is a game for the fans - if you've played MGS (particularly MGS1) before, you'll really really really appreciate this game. If you've never played MGS before, I'm not sure it'll be half as enjoyable.

Yep, you use MKII or whatever it is called. if I recall correctly you get an action and if you press triangle he knocks.

Well, I don't know about that. But I went up against a wall and hit the R1 ( Fire ) Button and he started tapping on the wall. ( No Mrk. II )

I am still on Act 1, did not get to play much today.

So I had a super frustrating moment already, more funny yet annoying then anything else.

WARNING:

Nothing I am about to say is a spoiler in regards to the story itself, but I am going to get very specific about a certain area of Act 1.

SO DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED ACT 01 YET

I was right at the checkpoint where you get the steel drum. It is also the first area you are introduced to the mortar guns. While at the second mortar gun and the left street, I quickly figured out if you just sit there, the PMC will just keep coming and coming. So I sat there a good 15 minutes, maybe even more, and just kept shelling them.All so I could go and collect their guns for Drebin.

So it is working perfectly, the militia all have hearts over their heads because they love me since I am helping them, and right next to the mortar on the right hand side is an alley. Well the PMC soldiers kept coming to that alley, and if I did not mortar them, a militia guy would throw an incendiary grenade at them. Eventually I would just mortar them anyway, and occasionally the milita AI would throw a grenade anyway even if no one was there. It is definitely a small glitch or bug.

After killing 6 PMC in that alley within about 13 seconds of eachother, I decided to go and collect their guns for Drebin. I get the guns, turn around to go back to the mortar, and literally right when I turn around I get an incendiary grenade smack dab on my head and die instantly. The militia guy obviously for whatever reason confused me for PMC. I WAS SO ANGRY I just wasted 45 minutes at least and did not get to a checkpoint, and had to do it all over.

It was so stupid it was funny though. It was still annoying though.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally kill a rebel guy?

If you do they'll turn on you.

Don't worry too much about DP for now, you'll get quite a lot just normally playing through. Plus when you hit Act4 there is an easter egg that gives you 100,000 DP ;)