Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I don't sit around, "Waiting" to have a break, I have a 'break' when I want to, pause during a cutscene or whenever it suits me - The installation is bothersome and an inconvenience, specially when it needs to install acts AGAIN.

They may not annoy you, but for some they are annoying.

EDIT: Arg, the game just froze and my last save is like 20 minutes back :angry:

Honestly, they really don't bother me in the slightest. I thought they would, I really did (in fact there's a post somewhere in this thread about it from me), but I don't mind at all. I can walk away, grab something to eat or drink, and come back and it's usually ready to go.

I'm just listening to the OST I got with my copy and really... when you're playing the game you hardly notice how great it is on itself. It blends perfectly IMO, gives you all the right extra feeling when you're playing...

Just ignore them, people will whine for whinings sake. Ignore the fact that MGS4 is a masterpeice and all the fun they will get out of it the 3 min per act install really ruins the game apparently.

It's not long enough to be annoying at all. In my opinion it comes at a time that a break is welcome anyway. People really do blow the installations out of proportion.

+1. It's only a few minutes. I just use it to take a short break, which we all should be doing when playing games for so long anyway! They even advise it when you're installing.

The MGS4 installation is not too long. Look at Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. That has less than MGS4, but it takes up much more space on your hard drive, and takes a lot longer to install.

It's worth waiting a little for it. You have to wait for a reason - and the reason is probably to do with the flow of the game. If it loads everything from Blu Ray instead, you will do a lot more waiting.. in the wrong places. Which would be really annoying.

Just curious, has anyone tried out the online? LOL

Everyone is talking about the SP, but no talk of the online aspect at all???

Is that a bad sign?

I did get into the Beta thanks to a member hooking me up (thanks Aaron), but because the Beta got pushed back it started the weekend of the trip to Seattle for us staff, then GTA IV was out that Tuesday, so I signed onto the Beta twice total, and especially not playing the series ever I was completely lost, but even getting owned I definitely felt it had potential and had a SOCOM meets humor vibe to it all.

I personally am probably not going to even attempt going online until I beat the SP game, and considering I am still on ACT 1 and already 4 Hours in I doubt that is coming anytime soon (I am taking things super slow and really getting as familiar as I can with absolutely everything but that may change as I am really feeling the controls as almost second nature now), but part of me is definitely really, really curious as to if the MP aspect is any good??

Main reason I am interested is I have about 6 real world friends who now own a PS3, never-mind everyone on here, so chances are I can get a good squad up and running fairly quickly with a little bit of planning, so I definitely want to do that eventually.

Or should I just got ahead and get Battlefield Bad Company like I pretty much planned on doing anyway? ;)

Yeah personally I've not touched the Online. It just doesn't seem right for me.

The Metal Gear experience has always been the cinematic experience - and throwing all that away and just racking up kills online doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Well the MGS series never really revolved around online play anyway. I don't think it's going to be that great really.

The unique thing MGO will rely on is scenarios like Everyone vs Snake, where one person is assigned as Snake and has his abilities...

You'll probably get Everyone vs "Insert other MGS4 character", or maybe various deathmatch modes where certain members on each team get to go some MGS character.

Everyone vs Psycho Mantis would be funny :laugh:

I'm sure online will be solid, and it will survive from dieing out as MGS always has a small hardcore base of fans that will be playing it for months.

I'll be getting stuck into it soon, to see how good I can get.

Yeah, I've been playing a few matches the last few days.

The game hasn't changed since the Beta, except a few more maps and weapons. Still not too fond of it, I do like how the weapon handles and the realistic based features. But mostly, the maps are too small and gameplay too fast to have any 'tactical' matches, which this game is well suited for. This may differ from server to server, but the game modes and servers I tried, people were running around like crazy and the match ended up like a slow quake match.

You have no real chance of using cover, crawling and sneaking in general so the 'stealth' part which defines Metal Gear is thrown out the window most of the time.

Also, I haven't had any 'experience' playing with people I know, but the squad options seems very limited / non-existent. This game would be perfect for a Team Survival sorta' gamemode, where you have have to kill the opposing team and no respawns, plus having a few friends working together.

Unfortunately It's currently just run & gun, no tactics, no nothing. We also need a game-mode where people die a bit faster, can't take it when you need to empty half a clip into players or get a headshot.

But I'll definitely wait and see what future update brings and when people start learning the game, see if they start playing more tactical.

Just curious, has anyone tried out the online? LOL

Everyone is talking about the SP, but no talk of the online aspect at all???

Is that a bad sign?

I did get into the Beta thanks to a member hooking me up (thanks Aaron), but because the Beta got pushed back it started the weekend of the trip to Seattle for us staff, then GTA IV was out that Tuesday, so I signed onto the Beta twice total, and especially not playing the series ever I was completely lost, but even getting owned I definitely felt it had potential and had a SOCOM meets humor vibe to it all.

I personally am probably not going to even attempt going online until I beat the SP game, and considering I am still on ACT 1 and already 4 Hours in I doubt that is coming anytime soon (I am taking things super slow and really getting as familiar as I can with absolutely everything but that may change as I am really feeling the controls as almost second nature now), but part of me is definitely really, really curious as to if the MP aspect is any good??

Main reason I am interested is I have about 6 real world friends who now own a PS3, never-mind everyone on here, so chances are I can get a good squad up and running fairly quickly with a little bit of planning, so I definitely want to do that eventually.

Or should I just got ahead and get Battlefield Bad Company like I pretty much planned on doing anyway? ;)

Cmon DL, get a move on :p

You've probably not even experienced a proper boss battle yet ;)

Play with people who use mic's and want a good game and there is no 'run and gun' tactics to be seen. The problem is people are all after personal glory rather than playing the team game.

I saw what you did there :p

Haha, I didn't until you pointed it out :pinch: :laugh:

When you getting to play MGS4 sanctified? :( Any chance you can borrow a PS3?

Play with people who use mic's and want a good game and there is no 'run and gun' tactics to be seen.

Speaking of mics, could someone possibly help me with my headset? I bought the Jabra BT125, and I tried it out on MGO, and I don't think it was working. I've paired it up with the PS3, and it works fine on the XMB, but I didn't hear anything in MGO. It recognises it, and shows the mic symbol, but whenever I talk, it doesn't register it, and I couldn't hear anyone else. I tried turning it on and off again as well. All I get is a little crackle when playing, and that's it.

just started the game on ''The Boss Extreme''... and I'm trying to go through the whole game without killing anyone.

But am I allowed to kill haven troopers?? If not, how the **** am I suppost to get them to sleep/faint??

Haha, I didn't until you pointed it out :pinch: :laugh:

When you getting to play MGS4 sanctified? :( Any chance you can borrow a PS3?

I have played every single metal gear game around two years after its original release so Im sure I will open my "OMG MGS4 rocks!" thread in 2010. Taxes, import fees, conversion rates, here in Mexico a PS3 cost us around $800 dollars and Im sure MGS4 will cost around $85 (the normal edition). We just dont have that kind of money :/

I have played every single metal gear game around two years after its original release so Im sure I will open my "OMG MGS4 rocks!" thread in 2010. Taxes, import fees, conversion rates, here in Mexico a PS3 cost us around $800 dollars and Im sure MGS4 will cost around $85 (the normal edition). We just dont have that kind of money :/

Buy an airplane ticket to the UK and live with AB for a few days :laugh:

Buy an airplane ticket to the UK and live with AB for a few days :laugh:
How would buying a plane ticket and the likes and a one-week stay in the UK be any cheaper? :p