Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I loved the way they introduced Big Boss. His name shows up in the credits with his voice actor and I was like 'Wait a minute... Big Boss isn't in it?... Or... Whoa!. biggrin.gif

Exactly what was going through my head at the time, was awesome.

^

Yeah I was exactly the same on the second spoiler .... :|

Same here.

That really rounded the game off for me just perfectly.

Knowing Snake survived the whole game made it far better to play though again, if he died I would of been bummed out about playing through again, and seeing big boss and snake, was just awesome.

What really got me about how the story has been thought through since the first is when it was mentioned that Donald Anderson, The Darpa Chief, was actually Sigint from MGS3, it was just great to see thigns thath there were no questions about that were then brought in again and just amkes you go "oooohhhhhh".

Same here.

That really rounded the game off for me just perfectly.

Knowing Snake survived the whole game made it far better to play though again, if he died I would of been bummed out about playing through again, and seeing big boss and snake, was just awesome.

What really got me about how the story has been thought through since the first is when it was mentioned that Donald Anderson, The Darpa Chief, was actually Sigint from MGS3, it was just great to see thigns thath there were no questions about that were then brought in again and just amkes you go "oooohhhhhh".

He is?! Thing is, I got the game at midnight and played it for 9 hours straight, I probably missed a couple things :p

-Rich-

You missed that? It was mentioned a few times. You have to mash the X button when he's brought up though - that makes it much clearer.

That last credit brought chills down my spine. No joke...

Yeah, they really tied up the loose ends well in this last game.

I played this game for the entire 18 hours straight that we needed to finish it. I think we took a lot longer than most people though.

What were your play times? We were trying to go through it as fast as possible too, probably got a bit reckless in some parts.

This game is EPIC. I'm on Act.5 after Screaming Mantis Fight. That is an awesome boss fight. The game so far is pure awesomeness, Hideo Kojima is a genius.

This game is EPIC. I'm on Act.5 after Screaming Mantis Fight. That is an awesome boss fight. The game so far is pure awesomeness, Hideo Kojima is a genius.

Get ready to smash the triangle button like there's no tomorrow....

I was just speaking to someone today about this games and they wanted to know if it was worth playing. I asked if they played any other MGS games then maybe but if they haven't played any then it isn't worth it. This game is pure fan service really because gameplay wise... there was none. It was so heavily story driven that unless you played the others you would have no idea what was going on. I may be stating the obvious but that's what i think.

Graphically, one word. Unbelievable. Hands down best looking game around. I still feel however the PS3 has so much more potential graphically. Roll up Heavy Rain.

Besides the graphics comment, as I also believe it s hands down the best looking game around, I could not disagree with you more.

As I have already stated several times in this thread, I never played a single MG game before this one. I watched the retrospective on gametrailers (which definitely helped a ton), I watched my one friend play all of the games when they were released, and again I could not disagree with you more, I definitely think someone who was not a fan can thoroughly enjoy this game. In fact it can make them a fan, just as it has done for me.

So as outlined above I am not an "old fan" so to speak, and I am enjoying absolutely every single second of this game. Every single one.

I also really am not sure what you mean by there is no gameplay??? If there is no gameplay than I am confused and really am not sure what I have been doing the past 4 hours??? Granted there has maybe been almost 30 minutes of cut-scenes, but the other 3 and a half hours I have been playing, so that means gameplay to me no?

The game is amazing. Without a doubt it is the best game I have played since Final Fantasy 7 over ten years ago. I think someone on here as already said that there are better looking games around and yes some games do have better gameplay then MGS4.

What I think makes MGS4 so special is the whole package. Hideo Kojima has put so much work into this you can really tell this as well.

When you are on Shadow Moses, on the heliport and The Best Is Yet To Come plays. Did anyone else almost have a fit?

It's not a 10/10 as no game is but I don't thing scoring this game out of ten is fair anyway.

The game is amazing. Without a doubt it is the best game I have played since Final Fantasy 7 over ten years ago. I think someone on here as already said that there are better looking games around and yes some games do have better gameplay then MGS4.

What I think makes MGS4 so special is the whole package. Hideo Kojima has put so much work into this you can really tell this as well.

When you are on Shadow Moses, on the heliport and The Best Is Yet To Come plays. Did anyone else almost have a fit?

It's not a 10/10 as no game is but I don't thing scoring this game out of ten is fair anyway.

I think it is a 10/10 game. If Halo/GTA4 etc can get 10's then this should as well. Why Eurogamer only gave it an 8 is beyond me! Then they wonder why people think that gaming journalists have something against the PS3 :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if it's possible to hold up those female soldiers?

It's possible. I held one up in Act 5. Just don't search them after you've held them up. You know what happens when you hold up a male soldier. It ends with the crotch grab, then the guy faints. When you do it to a female soldier, they kick you to the ground! :laugh:

I'm loving MGS4, currently in Act 4 and loving every second of it :happy: although I'm getting my arse kicked by the suicide gekos at the moment, I manage to survive the first wave and the second wave gets me *arg!*

Thanks for the tips guys :happy:

I know that, but that's what I'm guessing is getting him killed, waiting for it to charge, could be too late by then :p

-Rich-

Well actually what is getting me killed is 2 things, running out of ammo and getting overwhelmed :p I can get past the first wave ok now, it's the second one that does me in...they all come in at once and self destruct [at once] and I can't destroy them all in time...getting frustrating!

You do realise you can buy ammo from Drebin's shop, instantly, right? :s

-Rich-

Yeah, I kinda wasted all my Drebin points getting more ammo to kill Vamp....till I found out how easy it actually was to kill him :p might need to go back to an earlier save game...

I'm having issues getting to grips with the CQC techniques. Whenever I initiate a grab from behind a soldier, Snake will throw them to the ground, resulting in a KO, without me even pressing anything.

I can't seem to just grab hold of a guard and use some of the other moves.