Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Just a quick question to those who are using the camera to take pics in game hav u took one then looked at it and there was a face in the picture? and u hav to exorcise the picture to remove the head?

I'm having issues getting to grips with the CQC techniques. Whenever I initiate a grab from behind a soldier, Snake will throw them to the ground, resulting in a KO, without me even pressing anything.

I can't seem to just grab hold of a guard and use some of the other moves.

hav u checked out Gametrailers guide? its really really helpful

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35159.html

I'm having issues getting to grips with the CQC techniques. Whenever I initiate a grab from behind a soldier, Snake will throw them to the ground, resulting in a KO, without me even pressing anything.

I can't seem to just grab hold of a guard and use some of the other moves.

Practice in the Virtual Room or whatever it is called, that is what I did.

But what I think is probably messing you up is are you continuing to hold the left stick? Try just walking up, letting go of the left stick, and pressing R1. That should just grab them, then you can do a few different things with the left and right stick.

Like I said, practice in the virtual room, helped me out a ton.

One last thing I found out for myself today.

During the Briefings, you can take control of Metal Gear Mk. II. That part is known, but there are a few things you can do!

For one, there are items around the Nomad. Some of them are obtained by driving into characters (You'll hear the 'pick up' sound), and if you press UP/DOWN on the D-Pad, you can raise and lower your view.

And, if you keep driving into the stairs, you'll eventually hop right up. And you'll see Sunny playing on a PSP! Or at least, that's what I've seen so far (I'm going through the game again and I've only got to the second briefing).

Also theres the remote on the table - you can switch it so a few asian girls appear on the screen. For some reason the Metal Gear's flailing arm seems to lock on to certain parts of the body when you use it (R1) >_>

But what I think is probably messing you up is are you continuing to hold the left stick? Try just walking up, letting go of the left stick, and pressing R1. That should just grab them, then you can do a few different things with the left and right stick.

Virtual room is fun for trying out all the guns/special items you get!

Where are you now Larry?

Finished the game. One of the best games Ive ever played. The game deserve the 10 score that a lot of site are giving it.

I want a Metal Gear Raiden. That guy deserves a game for him. Snake should be there too ofcourse :)

That does seem to be the problem, it's just a force of habit :laugh:

I want a Metal Gear Raiden. That guy deserves a game for him. Snake should be there too ofcourse :)

Metal Gear Solid 2? :p

Thats exactly a Raiden game. Snake appears in it as well.

Metal Gear Solid 2? :p

Thats exactly a Raiden game. Snake appears in it as well.

Yeah I know. I mean a game with his name on the title, Metal Gear Raiden and him as Ninja like in MGS4.

Ah, touche. Perhaps theres something new in the pipeline.

Did anyone notice when you first talk to Naomi (in the mansion), a list of all the Metal Gear games appear, and after MGS4 there are two other games that say 'Under Construction'.

Do you think that means they're being made as we speak (Since they say 'Under Construction') or are they future projects that haven't begun? Pondering. :)

One last thing I found out for myself today.

During the Briefings, you can take control of Metal Gear Mk. II. That part is known, but there are a few things you can do!

For one, there are items around the Nomad. Some of them are obtained by driving into characters (You'll hear the 'pick up' sound), and if you press UP/DOWN on the D-Pad, you can raise and lower your view.

And, if you keep driving into the stairs, you'll eventually hop right up. And you'll see Sunny playing on a PSP! Or at least, that's what I've seen so far (I'm going through the game again and I've only got to the second briefing).

Also theres the remote on the table - you can switch it so a few asian girls appear on the screen. For some reason the Metal Gear's flailing arm seems to lock on to certain parts of the body when you use it (R1) >_>

Make sure you go up the stairs during later briefings as well, there's batteries to be had, which make the solid eye last a LOT longer.. I finished the game with 3 of them =D

Virtual room is fun for trying out all the guns/special items you get!

Where are you now Larry?

Still on Act 01 I think. LOL I am pretty sure I have to be close to the end though, I am about to jump down the elevator shaft?

I just did not get to play much at all over the weekend. I am old school and if I do not get to a checkpoint to save yet and I have to do something or go out, I just leave my PS3 on. So I did that for about 20 hours this weekend. So it may have said I was playing, but the game was paused.

And wait a minute, what is this talk about moving MKII during the briefings? Where is it??? Do you have to enable it?

Got the bandanna earlier, good fun, killed around 400 people on the first chapter having fun with it.

I went through the game relaly quite quickly in about 7 hours with missing a few cutscenes to get it quickly.

Also got the Solar Gun, which knocks out an enemy and all their items drop out.

Its unlimited ammo too, as it uses the suns power to shoot, so you have to charge it by holding circle when in the sun, and snake punches the air with the gun shouting Sun Power! or at least that's what I remember, if not, tis very similar, lol.

Still on Act 01 I think. LOL I am pretty sure I have to be close to the end though, I am about to jump down the elevator shaft?

I just did not get to play much at all over the weekend. I am old school and if I do not get to a checkpoint to save yet and I have to do something or go out, I just leave my PS3 on. So I did that for about 20 hours this weekend. So it may have said I was playing, but the game was paused.

And wait a minute, what is this talk about moving MKII during the briefings? Where is it??? Do you have to enable it?

If you haven't completed the first chapter, you wouldn't have got to one unless you viewed the first one form the main menu.

But you press select during the briefings for full controls of the extras, but I think it is either Triangle or Square that switches you to it, then hit one of the other buttons and it will swap the screens so it is the larger one of the two shown, then hit L2 so it takes up the whole screen.

You have to manually watch the first briefing guys, the manual tells you that ;)

I knew quite a few of you would probably jump into new game, without watching the very first briefing. No idea why Konami set it up like that.

Go to the briefing menu and watch it if you want, you can still do it.

All further briefings are watched automatically by progressing through the main game.

Make sure you go up the stairs during later briefings as well, there's batteries to be had, which make the solid eye last a LOT longer.. I finished the game with 3 of them =D

Well, seeing as I'm almost done, I guess I'll have to use that tip for my run through on Big Boss Hard.

You haven't got to a briefing yet, Larry, you'll get that at the beginning of the next acts.

Ahh, makes sense now.

But you press select during the briefings for full controls of the extras, but I think it is either Triangle or Square that switches you to it, then hit one of the other buttons and it will swap the screens so it is the larger one of the two shown, then hit L2 so it takes up the whole screen.

Thanks for the details.

You have to manually watch the first briefing guys, the manual tells you that ;)

I knew quite a few of you would probably jump into new game, without watching the very first briefing. No idea why Konami set it up like that.

Go to the briefing menu and watch it if you want, you can still do it.

All further briefings are watched automatically by progressing through the main game.

Actually I watched the briefing yesterday. :p Then I felt like I knew most of it since I was playing through Act 1 already so I stopped watching it.

Also I read the manual pretty thorughly, and I completely missed the mention of it saying you had to watch it manually. That was a weird decision indeed.

Oh yea, a bit of a tip for those of you just playing through it (and even for some of you going through a second or third time) - by now you've noticed L1 appearing in the top left corner of the screen during some cut scenes. This shows you what snake is seeing - but you can sometimes press L1 without being told to for some nice visual treats ;) (Put it this way - snake is a dirty old man!)

Naomi sure has a big part/role in the game - I don't want to spoil anything more, but I just want to say I did SO not expect this... however I really liked it.

Just finished I think, unless there's yet another cutscene after the "debriefing" one.

No spoilers, just wanted to say I am incredibly impressed at everything with this game. The story (of the entire series, of course) is better than anything I've read in a book or seen in a movie.

And now to play through on Big Boss Hard... :unsure:

Just finished I think, unless there's yet another cutscene after the "debriefing" one.

No spoilers, just wanted to say I am incredibly impressed at everything with this game. The story (of the entire series, of course) is better than anything I've read in a book or seen in a movie.

And now to play through on Big Boss Hard... :unsure:

As long as you've watched everything until it takes you back to the main menu :p - Let the credits roll ;)

I tried to do my Big Boss Hard run through combined with my stealth and no kill, but it's too hard :p Doing stealth and no kill on easy ;) Then I'll do Big Boss Hard with my unlocked stuff (Y)