Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

As long as you've watched everything until it takes you back to the main menu :p - Let the credits roll ;)

I tried to do my Big Boss Hard run through combined with my stealth and no kill, but it's too hard :p Doing stealth and no kill on easy ;) Then I'll do Big Boss Hard with my unlocked stuff (Y)

I'm doing stealth and no kill on easy too but I got one alert. :crazy:

Do you still get the medal if you use stealth or bandana when doing big boss?

Just found out, don't think so.

I don't think you can use any special items doing a big boss run :(

I finished it last night and i must say i thought it was very very good. All the 10/10 reviews it got it didn't deserve to be honest, 8/10 is a much better reflection of the game.

The story is epic just as i thought it would be but how many times did i find myself just watching and watching and watching. I swear the game much have been 28% gameplay 72% cutscenes. I know MGS has been known for the lengthy cutscences to progress the story but i think this one was far ahead and was an utter joke in some regard. Some of the scenes however were amazing, others were not.

Before anyone says, I loved the scenes in MGS1 and MGS2 wasn't bad but they went totally overboard.

Not that it is all bad but if you take just the gameplay then the game ends up being quite short in a way.

Also the game weights in at 32.5GB so not the full Blu-ray 50GB Hideo said it was having issues with, more like running out of time to finish it.

Also the game weights in at 32.5GB so not the full Blu-ray 50GB Hideo said it was having issues with, more like running out of time to finish it.

Source?

Kojima's a genius, he proves it yet again, one of the best game i've played, i wish all games were polished like MGS4, with every small detail worked on. Incredible.

Source?

Mount the disc under Linux on PS3 or put the disc in a PC BD-ROM drive in windows and it will show you yourself.

Exact Japanese Figures,

News: MGS 4 First Week Japanese Sales

The official numbers for MGS 4 sales in Japan are in, with first week sales of 476,334 (including special editions and bundles). This in comparison to 487,156 for MGS 3 (on PS2) and 456,747 for MGS 2, not bad considering the much smaller PS3 user-base, making MGS 4 the best selling PS3 game in Japan.

In addition, sales for the PS3 last week were 77,208.

Source: http://thesixthaxis.com/index.aspx

That was a while ago, maybe Kojimas team were able to make use of the space better or compress it more

Exact Japanese Figures,

Source: http://thesixthaxis.com/index.aspx

Probably a silly question but do you know if they sold the 1 Million copies on day one to make a profit like they said they needed?

Yeah, it probably did fill a 50GB disc at one point - but with some amazing compression they managed to knock it down to 32.5GB.

I dont think so Ryan Payton already confirmed what Kojima said about filling up a BD50, they were either BSing or have managed to make use of the space better since then.

When speaking about Blu-ray technology, the biggest disc on the market right now is 50GB, which normally you would think it quite massive for a video game. Of course this is not the case for Kojima as he and his team wound up having to compress a number of elements in the game just to fit it all on the disc. Kojima also noted that even though compression allowed them to fit it all in, the quality would have been higher if there was more storage to work with.

As i said, maybe they have compressed some things that they wanted to leave uncompressed. Uncompressed audio for example is in the multiple Gigabytes, the same audio compressed could easily fit in a few hundred Megabytes. If they do that per language then thats a massive saving in space straight away.

Probably a silly question but do you know if they sold the 1 Million copies on day one to make a profit like they said they needed?

Sales are estimated at 1.3-1.5 million last time I checked...

As i said, maybe they have compressed some things that they wanted to leave uncompressed. Uncompressed audio for example is in the multiple Gigabytes, the same audio compressed could easily fit in a few hundred Megabytes. If they do that per language then thats a massive saving in space straight away.

Not all of the 50GB disc is probably usable, like the 360 uses up to around 7GB of a DVD9.

It would be much more concrete if someone rips the disc, instead of just reading it off of my computer. I have PS2 DVDs that don't match up with the image files off the net when burned and read in a DVD drive.

Hidden files? Dunno.... I never expected MGS4 to use 49.5GB, it's still the largest game we've seen yet on consoles.

Honestly, what matters is that the game came out to be a flipping masterpiece of artwork. How much space it takes up seems incredibly irrelevant to me at this point.

It would be much more concrete if someone rips the disc, instead of just reading it off of my computer. I have PS2 DVDs that don't match up with the image files off the net when burned and read in a DVD drive.

There's all sorts of reasons as to why you get a different size on your hard drive (Things like cluster sizes can affect it), but you wont get a 30% difference in the file size.

There's all sorts of reasons as to why you get a different size on your hard drive (Things like cluster sizes can affect it), but you wont get a 30% difference in the file size.

Oh well, not really what I meant anyway.

I meant things not read/hidden from a simple "right click, properties, read file size", that are ripped when a 1:1 copy of the disc is made. Whether it's padding, security sectors or just plain and simple hidden files.

But as gigapixels said, does it really matter at this point after seeing the production values of the title?

im stuck on act 2 :(

helpppp please :D

im confused on the act 2 part after u defeat the laughing octopus and the other boss and go off in search of the footsteps. theyve got me stumped :(

heeeeeelp lol

im confused on the act 2 part after u defeat the laughing octopus and the other boss and go off in search of the footsteps. theyve got me stumped :(

heeeeeelp lol

Listen to the help you're given :p

Give Otacon a call if you're stuck.

That part you're stuck at in Act 2, use the nightvision to see the footprints, look for the smaller footprints (they're sort of round because of the shoes she's wearing), follow those and not the other footprints. A few times they'll disappear but you're given help to figure out where they went..

heeeeeelp lol

dnt worri abot it to much its a very linear game so no matter which way u go it will take u back to the split courses until u take the right path!

Okay, so I think I have broken a new record!

I beat Act 1, and it took me...

8 hours and 4 seconds :laugh:

140 kills

11 Alarms

7 Continues

In all fairness, like I said I paused the game a few times, and then just let it sit there, but I thought it did not keep track of the time if you have it paused. There was the one time I did die after close to an hour of collecting weapons (now I keep Rations equipped), but I seriously did not think I was anywhere close to 8 HOURS!!! LOL

Ergh, got all the way to act 4, no alerts, then went through act 4, and somehow got an alert that I didn't even notice and had already saved.

Time to start again. *mumbles about stupid alerts*