Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Okay, so I think I have broken a new record!

I beat Act 1, and it took me...

8 hours and 4 seconds :laugh:

140 kills

11 Alarms

7 Continues

In all fairness, like I said I paused the game a few times, and then just let it sit there, but I thought it did not keep track of the time if you have it paused. There was the one time I did die after close to an hour of collecting weapons (now I keep Rations equipped), but I seriously did not think I was anywhere close to 8 HOURS!!! LOL

What difficulty were you on(solid normal, big boss hard)??

I beat act 1 on solid normal, and it took me 4 hours and something...

Edited by Lauguu

What difficulty were you on(solid normal, big boss hard)??

I beat act 1 on solid normal, and it took me 4 hours and something...

I am not sure what difficult yI am on, I honestly forget what I chose, but I know it is not the hardest, and definitely not the easiest. So I guess it was normal???

I think leaving it just sit there while I did other stuff has a lot to do with it, because I know for a fact I did not play for 8 hours. I also tend to let Snake sit there and regenerate his health instead of using a Ration, so I will find a safe place, let him lay on the ground, then go and get myself something to drink, etc., so I think I might have done that, thought I paused it, and did not actually pause it. I would say my actual playing time is closer to 4-5 hours as well.

I am now fully 110% confortable with the controls and the actual gameplay though, so I think (well I hope) I will progress through things a bit quicker now.

Okay, so I think I have broken a new record!

I beat Act 1, and it took me...

8 hours and 4 seconds :laugh:

140 kills

11 Alarms

7 Continues

In all fairness, like I said I paused the game a few times, and then just let it sit there, but I thought it did not keep track of the time if you have it paused. There was the one time I did die after close to an hour of collecting weapons (now I keep Rations equipped), but I seriously did not think I was anywhere close to 8 HOURS!!! LOL

I left it on pause as well and clocked in under 8hrs, quite annoying really but oh well.

I am not sure what difficult yI am on, I honestly forget what I chose, but I know it is not the hardest, and definitely not the easiest. So I guess it was normal???

I think leaving it just sit there while I did other stuff has a lot to do with it, because I know for a fact I did not play for 8 hours. I also tend to let Snake sit there and regenerate his health instead of using a Ration, so I will find a safe place, let him lay on the ground, then go and get myself something to drink, etc., so I think I might have done that, thought I paused it, and did not actually pause it. I would say my actual playing time is closer to 4-5 hours as well.

I am now fully 110% confortable with the controls and the actual gameplay though, so I think (well I hope) I will progress through things a bit quicker now.

Ohh, yeah that must be it.

I played the game 11 hours straight, and didn't really set it on pause at any time.

Damn I was tired on the 11th hour :D

My game keeps installing every time I load my save file :s

Are you loading different save files at different Acts? You can't jump back and forth through the game, as each act requires an installation that removes any other installed acts.

It's very annoying =\

I'm trying real hard not to read spoilers and I have done good so far. It's just kinda sad when a page is full of black bars, but I have shown restraint.

Anywho quick question. I'm on act 5 now. I loved going back to Shadow Moses, that dream sequence was cool and getting to drive Rex was great. On to my question. At the very beginning of the map I picked up two Chaff grenades. Those were the only two I found and I burned them all. Is there a way to procure more? I looked on Drebin's list and it doesn't show up unless I am completely missing it. If I can get more, are they effective against the Gekkos? Thanks.

You know, I'm wondering the same thing, I only found the same 2 and haven't seen any anywhere else. They'd be bloody handy to have!

I hadn't noticed the chaff grenades, maybe they will help with those dam Dwarf Gekkos, but I has the unlimited ammo now anyway. :p

Does anyone know of an easy quick way of taking down Dwarf Gekkos without sounding the alert which makes millions of the buggers appear?

It would save me a few minutes crawling around for ages during act 4 in shadow moses, lol.

Unless of course my first idea is right and that the chaff grenades would do it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a PMC soldier costume?

From what I have read around the internet, there is no mention of anything like that.

You can't even wear different costumes in different areas which is a shame.

I hadn't noticed the chaff grenades, maybe they will help with those dam Dwarf Gekkos, but I has the unlimited ammo now anyway. :p

Does anyone know of an easy quick way of taking down Dwarf Gekkos without sounding the alert which makes millions of the buggers appear?

It would save me a few minutes crawling around for ages during act 4 in shadow moses, lol.

Unless of course my first idea is right and that the chaff grenades would do it.

That was the first thing I thought to use when I got them, unfortunately I burned my two in the first hangar.

They would have been so helpful in the Roller room with all the Gekkos and the mini guys

Maybe its jsut me, but I would pay more on the price of the game for the first game to be redone in mgs4, its got a good portion of the game in there already, and would be just amazing to play again, lol.

That was the first thing I thought to use when I got them, unfortunately I burned my two in the first hangar.

They would have been so helpful in the Roller room with all the Gekkos and the mini guys

Did they have any effect on them?

The room you mentioned with the rollers and two Gekkos and then one hiding up in the ceiling, and then the room after it leading into the room that orginally housed REX, it has a thin bridge over a waterfall with one of the Dwarf Gekkos rolling round and one in the palce of the old camera, is where I get most annoyed at them.

Personally the Gekkos are far easier to deal with than these annyoing little guys, lol.

Did they have any effect on them?

They definitely disabled the mini guys, they were kinda hang out with there limbs going in circles, but I don't know about the Gekkos. I had run out before I got to one.

It works on the full-sized Gekkos, but for a VERY short amount of time, barely enough for you to pass by without getting kicked.

They definitely disabled the mini guys, they were kinda hang out with there limbs going in circles, but I don't know about the Gekkos. I had run out before I got to one.
It works on the full-sized Gekkos, but for a VERY short amount of time, barely enough for you to pass by without getting kicked.

Heh, awesome.

I'll just chuck on the bandanna and just keep throwing like there's no tomorrow till I make it past.

Well, that or spend all my time crawling like its going out of fashion, lol.

Heh, awesome.

I'll just chuck on the bandanna and just keep throwing like there's no tomorrow till I make it past.

Well, that or spend all my time crawling like its going out of fashion, lol.

That's exactly what I did in Metal Gear Solid when I was fighting Rex. Just throw about 10 in a row so they would overlap, bust out the rocket launcher, then do it again.

That's exactly what I did in Metal Gear Solid when I was fighting Rex. Just throw about 10 in a row so they would overlap, bust out the rocket launcher, then do it again.

Lol, good times, was such an awesome game in its day.

Once I make it through again with no alerts and get what I want, I can start having some proper fun and messing with the guards, hehe.

I finally went out and bought a PS3 and a copy of MGS4 today.. i could'nt take it any longer, not being able to play it was doing my head in :cry:

I have'nt played the single player yet, been playing the online side of it tho.. i love it

What? You bought MGS4 and decided to play MGO first?

:o

lol, well i have'nt had that much time to play it today. So i thought i'd just have a quick bash at the online side and wait till i have more time at the weekend to dedicate to the single player

Ah, touche. You do need to sit in front of the game for at least an hour before you actually take control of Snake and play properly.