Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Because unfortunately MGS doesn't always make it easy to see when you've hit a checkpoint. I ended up playing for over an hour longer than I meant to yesterday because I wanted to get to the next checkpoint.

You hit a checkpoint pretty much every time you start a new area or finish a cutscene plus you can save whenever you want.

Yeah but if you save it, it only saves the last checkpoint, so anything you've done AFTER that checkpoint is lost.

Fair enough but there isn't that much time between gameplay checkpoints.

Certainly not enough to warrant pausing for around a total of 20-25 hours :p Tsk tsk Larry ;)

Are you loading different save files at different Acts? You can't jump back and forth through the game, as each act requires an installation that removes any other installed acts.

It's very annoying =\

Not that I'm aware of, I only have one save file.

Got this but not had chance to play properly, one thing I noticed was that the begining all seemed a little dark in terms of lighting, making it hard for me to work out the 'easier' routes.

Got this but not had chance to play properly, one thing I noticed was that the begining all seemed a little dark in terms of lighting, making it hard for me to work out the 'easier' routes.

Mmm.. It was just fine on mine, didn't have to adjust anything.

Gotta be TV calibration, MGS4 isn't that dark a game.

Post your TV brand/make and settings and I'll give some advice :)

Tip!

Breifing - Solid Sun

Have anybody tried taking control over Mk II, and then snapped(R1) on the TV controller in front of the breifing TV

there is a suprise :D

By the way guys, PureLegend on my NW profile

In your sig...is that Raiden?

If so he's way more feminine than I remember o_O

:laugh:

:p

I paused it for so long because I got done with Act I, and then came the 3 minute installation for Act II, so I did not want to have to go through the 15 minutes of cutscenes for Act I again (and even worse have to play that whole last part over which I did not know if that would be the case), so I was tired, had to go to bed, and had no clue how long the Mission Briefing would be either, so I decided just to pause it until I could play again, which happened to be 25 hours later. :p

And as I said earlier I used to leave my Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Super NES, Nintendo 64, and the list keeps going, all on for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, usually paused, so I am just used to it.

Also Kushan was right, especially for a person not used to MGS such as myself, for me some of the checkpoints were 45 minutes in between each other, and I had collected so many items at some points I would be damned if I did those areas over again, so I just paused it. But the main 25 hour pause was because of end of act, installation, and mission briefing.

I paused it for so long because I got done with Act I, and then came the 3 minute installation for Act II, so I did not want to have to go through the 15 minutes of cutscenes for Act I again (and even worse have to play that whole last part over which I did not know if that would be the case), so I was tired, had to go to bed, and had no clue how long the Mission Briefing would be either, so I decided just to pause it until I could play again, which happened to be 25 hours later. :p

And as I said earlier I used to leave my Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Super NES, Nintendo 64, and the list keeps going, all on for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, usually paused, so I am just used to it.

Also Kushan was right, especially for a person not used to MGS such as myself, for me some of the checkpoints were 45 minutes in between each other, and I had collected so many items at some points I would be damned if I did those areas over again, so I just paused it. But the main 25 hour pause was because of end of act, installation, and mission briefing.

Where are you now then? Done your first boss yet? ;)

Did anyone else start hammering Triangle when you put Snake through his long walk/crawl through the Microwave? Gut wrenching scene :( Especially when Otaccon is saying "Cmon Snake, just a little further...".

I did as well. I thought I wasn't going to make it. I was about 5 seconds from the end, and my health was just a few millimeters from the end. I thought I wasn't gonna make it, but I did. I think it's like an interactive cutscene. You're gonna make it, it's just that they're piling on the pressure.

Where are you now then? Done your first boss yet? ;)

Nope. I did not even start Act II yet. I did the Mission Briefing last night, and then watched the NBA finals and went to bed.

I have these three really annoying things (from the point of view they are annoying as they get in the way of my gaming time) called a wife, a house that needs lawn work, and finally a career, all that make it really, really hard to play video games. :laugh:

I probably, unless I get into some sort of freak accident, will not be done with this game for a three weeks to a month or so, give or take. Maybe I will get lucky and get a full day on the weekend and speed up the process, but it is not looking likely.

I did as well. I thought I wasn't going to make it. I was about 5 seconds from the end, and my health was just a few millimeters from the end. I thought I wasn't gonna make it, but I did. I think it's like an interactive cutscene. You're gonna make it, it's just that they're piling on the pressure.

I started that scene with hardly any health, and it just drops to the bottom and stays there. There is no pressure really. :p

Nope. I did not even start Act II yet. I did the Mission Briefing last night, and then watched the NBA finals and went to bed.

I have these three really annoying things (from the point of view they are annoying as they get in the way of my gaming time) called a wife, a house that needs lawn work, and finally a career, all that make it really, really hard to play video games. :laugh:

I probably, unless I get into some sort of freak accident, will not be done with this game for a three weeks to a month or so, give or take. Maybe I will get lucky and get a full day on the weekend and speed up the process, but it is not looking likely.

Yeah, I understand.

Luckily I only have the job and Uni work just now, no wife or house to maintain as of yet :laugh:

MGS4 is probably the most time consuming game to be given right now - It's not like GTA4 where the game is massive, but you can do 2-3 missions then off to bed.

I'm just anticipating your views on the game DL, so I'm interested to see what you think as things progress. However it's like waiting for paint to dry right now... (I kid) :p

I'm just downloading the 2.36 update now for my PS3. I'm gonna start a new game on The Boss Hard. :D

I'm just downloading the 2.36 update now for my PS3. I'm gonna start a new game on The Boss Hard. :D

Everyone can read that before even playing the game, not a spoiler mate :p ;)

It's hard by the way.... real hard.

Yeah, I understand.

Luckily I only have the job and Uni work just now, no wife or house to maintain as of yet :laugh:

MGS4 is probably the most time consuming game to be given right now - It's not like GTA4 where the game is massive, but you can do 2-3 missions then off to bed.

I'm just anticipating your views on the game DL, so I'm interested to see what you think as things progress. However it's like waiting for paint to dry right now... (I kid) :p

I never did before my house, but now I hate grass (my lawn) and I hate flowers, I will just put it that way. LOL

So far I think it is easily among to Top 20 games I have ever played, maybe even the Top 10.

Keep in mind that is 28 years of gaming, so Top 20 games means a huge thing, Top 10 is something truly special.

I never did before my house, but now I hate grass (my lawn) and I hate flowers, I will just put it that way. LOL

So far I think it is easily among to Top 20 games I have ever played, maybe even the Top 10.

Keep in mind that is 28 years of gaming, so Top 20 games means a huge thing, Top 10 is something truly special.

Yeah I hate grass/flowers. I cut the grass, but luckily in our climate, grass doesn't grow that quick.

With what you're saying so far, that's why it makes me interested to see your views on the game in later stages - Act1 is the "slowest" act in terms of story progression and it's more of a "get used to MGS4" act, until nearer the end :)

Everyone can read that before even playing the game, not a spoiler mate :p ;)

It's hard by the way.... real hard.

I thought it would technically be a spoiler, as it's not unlocked until you complete the game. I meant The Boss Extreme, BTW, not Big Boss Hard. :p

Just starting it now. I just wandered about the Mission Briefing in Act 2 looking for the camera and the battery. I also got Otacon's FaceCamo! Do you know how I get the other camos?

I thought it would technically be a spoiler, as it's not unlocked until you complete the game. I meant The Boss Extreme, BTW, not Big Boss Hard. :p

Just starting it now. I just wandered about the Mission Briefing in Act 2 looking for the camera and the battery. I also got Otacon's FaceCamo! Do you know how I get the other camos?

Here is a list of all kinds of unlockables including the face camos

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/code/926596.html

Tranquelise the b&b's and bump into anyone else you can.

Also, if you go back and play the Act 1 briefing (have to go through the maim menu to do it), there's another battery up for grabs as well as Campbell's facecamo. It'll ask you to overwrite the save you load to get to the briefing, so it'll not mess up your current game =)