Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I've got a 60GB, so I'm assuming i can play them all, I need to find that set. I think i'd get bored with MGS1, played it a few too many times, but i'd definitely enjoy playing through 2 and 3 again.

Yeah, just grab it at Best Buy, at least that's where I got it. I already had MGS2, but two games for $30 is still a steal.

Honestly, i could probably pick up 2 and 3 used for pretty cheap, but it would be nice to have the set. And if i buy the set, of course i'll keep 4. I'm gonna keep playing 4, but they seriously need to start letting me play for awhile without a million cg interruptions or i'm just gonna get mad and call it crap on neowin again!

Haha, don't worry, the gameplay amount definitely picks up more. There are some long cutscenes still, but much more gameplay in between.

I just got started playing it tonight and its good so far. Still getting used to playing MGS after a few years so I am trying not to get detected.

I sure do miss the radar from back in the MGS2 days :p

Anyone have any gameplay tips?

I just got started playing it tonight and its good so far. Still getting used to playing MGS after a few years so I am trying not to get detected.

I sure do miss the radar from back in the MGS2 days :p

Anyone have any gameplay tips?

Crawl a lot, you get the highest camo index. :p

And use the hold up when you see a good opportunity. It's neat and it bags you weapons and items.

mgs4_box_up.jpg

And thats our PAL box.

In fact, most of our Metal gear Solid box art has been kinda lame.

Metal_Gear_Solid_Pal.jpg

Yeah, I sure miss the Soliton Radar. But then again that would make the game disgustingly easy. Especially for those who have played MGS3, where you don't even get a radar, or rather a very primitive one.

Well I can finally join in the discussion now, I beat it last nite.

Opening that door on the boat was such a pain in the ass, I kept popping up to the door, but I believe the first Gekko kept spotting me. After that I did ok. Loved the Mantis fight, the first thing I did with out prompting was switch my controller to 2 and I got the call from Otacon heh that was pretty funny and then Campbell called telling me the same thing. The whole microwave crawl was very difficult to watch as well as to continuously hit the Triangle button. Then of course the multi tier fight with Ocelot. I loved Ocelot's outro, his hand gesture from Snake Eater. He was a great villian in that one and he carried over well to here. Then finally of course getting to see Big Boss and Solid Snake together.

Now I get to go back and read all the spoilers :)

Just finished it. I have to say while the game play is not perfect the game is easily the best game I have played this year. It's sad that we won't get to play another Metal Gear Solid game again.

Overall the game for me is a 9/10

Ok I might pick it up today, I'm just curious if it will be annoying for someone who never played a MGS game before..

It certainly wont be as enjoyable. I recommend you pick up the original MGS first, it's an excellent game and will make MGS4 all the more interesting and fun.

It wont take you long to complete it, either.

You could probably give MGS2 a miss since it's not all that great, I never played 3 but there wasn't much need to as far as I can tell.

Yes understanding what happened in MGS1 is really important I think. As Kushan already said MGS2 is not so important but I feel it's still a good game.

Ok I might pick it up today, I'm just curious if it will be annoying for someone who never played a MGS game before..

I spent the weekend with a group of friends who played through it on 2 PS3s and despite my best efforts I was mostly left having no idea of what was happening and getting confused by the storyline. What made it more irritating was that every other person there had played all the other MGS games and were spurting out stuff that made no sense to me. I would say if your going to play it, play the others before hand. From what I gather it wouldn't be worth it without knowing the background story first.

I only managed to get my hands on the controller once though, they all seemed to be loving the game too much. It was only after they had spend an hour failing at the last fight (I assume it was a boss fight of some type, it was a fist fight...). Long story cut short I stood there button mashing, shaking my ass and beat it having no idea what I was doing. :p

Yes understanding what happened in MGS1 is really important I think. As Kushan already said MGS2 is not so important but I feel it's still a good game.

I thought MGS2 was the game to really tie the entire series together.

I mean, MGS1 was important for plot development and setting the stage for the other games to come.

But MGS2 was really the one to introduce the idea behind the Patriots, and how they had control of pretty much everything; as well as introduction of the GW AI. It all starts when Raiden is inside the electrical room with President Johnson, that's when the Patriots are formally introduced into the MGS series..

I thought MGS2 was the game to really tie the entire series together.

Interesting I guess they are all important in some way. It has the best story in a game ever.

MGS3 is the most important game in relation to MGS4. So if you must play one, play that one.

Major Zero, Big Boss, The Patriots, Ocelot, EVA etc

MGS3 is the most important game in relation to MGS4. So if you must play one, play that one.

Major Zero, Big Boss, The Patriots, Ocelot, EVA etc

I would disagree.

If you had to miss one of the games story lines, I would say 3 would be the easiest to carry on without playing it.

You obviously need the first game out fo any to get the basis, then 2 introduces the new characters and patriots which are like the main part of the series storyline.

Parts of the story line in MGS3 are explained in MGS4 in more detail than say certain things from the first 2 games.