Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Anyone know (and FTR I highly doubt it), but anyone know if MGO has Split Screen play?

I have to go my in laws today for dinner with the family, and my bro-in-law as MGS4, so I am just wondering if there is anything we can play Split Screen in regards to the game?

Nah, 99% certain.

You still on Act2 Larry?

Speaking of split screen that section of the game with you defending against the Gekkos as Raiden and Vamp tear each other apart on top of REX is mighty cool...

Good point -SHiFT-, it kinda shows that the code is already in the game to do split screen, as in the cut scenes too. Possible add-on in a future update?

There's a bit more to it than that. I strongly suspect that the "split-screen" is little more than a video being played on one half of the screen, especially since you can't see what's going on from Snake's perspective (it all just happens to be out of view, coincidentally) there's another time this is much more apparent right at the very end, when snake is getting all hot and bothered.

Even if it is being done in real time, it's not that hard to render two perspectives to different parts of the screen, but actually handling all of that for multiple players is a whole other kettle of fish, especially if a lot is going on screen at once. In other words, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Speaking of split screen that section of the game with you defending against the Gekkos as Raiden and Vamp tear each other apart on top of REX is mighty cool...

Everytime I'm on that part I want to see that fight but I have to take the damn geckos down. :crazy:

Everytime I'm on that part I want to see that fight but I have to take the damn geckos down. :crazy:

I had the benefit of letting my friend play that section while my other friend and I watched the cutscene on the right :rofl:

A good recommendation I could give you is to use the Rail Gun, definitely a useful weapon especially against Gekkos. Plus it would give you a bit of time to watch what's going on in the other screen. I also like the insane amounts of DP you get from destroying unmanned machines.

Nah, 99% certain.

You still on Act2 Larry?

Nope. On Act 3.

Currently have my console paused on what seems to be an incredibly long cut scene with Big Mama in the church that is the hideout of the Resistance.

Also I do not think I am going out on any limbs here by making this prediction, but I am making it anyway...

This is easily going to be GOTY by almost every major video game news outlets. It absolutely has to be.

Currently have my console paused on what seems to be an incredibly long cut scene with Big Mama in the church that is the hideout of the Resistance.

That is a very important cut scene. I would watch and listen to it carefully.

The game gets quite intense after this point. :p

your telling me Shift!

Okay, so I am at the start of Act 4, and WTF?? Is there a guide for the old controls anywhere? Are they the same controls and I am just bugging out?

your telling me Shift!

Okay, so I am at the start of Act 4, and WTF?? Is there a guide for the old controls anywhere? Are they the same controls and I am just bugging out?

LOL

This is when it helps to have played MGS, it's a small segment of the beginning of MGS1.

Doesn't last long, just fight through it. Controls are pretty similar.

Ok, im back guys, i had people over so i couldnt play MGS 4 until this weekend.

I started playing it on Friday night and i finished it on Saturday night.

IT WAS AMAZING, everything is through the roof, production values, sound effects, motion capture, diversity in the stages, emotions, fan service, just pure awesome.

It was worth the wait, i had my jaw dropped in the floor the whole time, my favorite moment in the game has to be the epic battle between the Metal Gear Ray and Rex, i just cant believe they let you use Rex, that was like my dream since MGS 1, also the return to Shadow moses was just so awesome, i thought it was only going to be a small section but it ends up being quite big.

Also, right on the end, the fist fight between Liquid and Solid, with the health bars changing as the soundtrack changed through the games, it was fan service at its best.

1 of my Top 5 best games for sure.

I have a few questions tho...

Did i miss it or did they explain how Raiden got injured or why he was using that exoeskeleton??, why did he had his blood changed??

I have seen a couple of videos now in a weird white stage where you can take pictures of the B&Bs, where is that??

Did i miss it or did they explain how Raiden got injured or why he was using that exoeskeleton??, why did he had his blood changed??

I have seen a couple of videos now in a weird white stage where you can take pictures of the B&Bs, where is that??

1. They didn't explain it, and as I posted in another topic I think it's intentional. Think: Explanation in the next MGS game ;)

2. When the Beauty is in human form (after defeating beast), let her chase you for 3 minutes without downing her and you'll be whisked away to the white room.

If you have the camera at this point, she'll pose for you! Or if you play music, she'll dance :p

Free paper gives MGS4 6/10

Slams it for 'utterly overblown plot' and gameplay that's 'arthritic and boring'.

Free London newspaper Metro has given critically acclaimed PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 a paltry three stars out of five, slamming the "utterly overblown" plot and gameplay that "somehow manages to be both rubbish and exceptional at the same time".

Metro, which is given out free to mainly London-based commuters every morning, said of Kojima's epic: "Solid Snake is back, older, wiser but unfortunately, if gameplay is anything to go by, more arthritic and boring."

We can't imagine Konami will be pleased by the review. Equating each star out of five to two points on an out of 10 scale, Metro has awarded the game a six out of 10, which is the lowest MGS4 review score we've seen so far. According to certified distribution figures from ABC, Metro is read by 1.3 million readers across the UK every day.

The review, which isn't on Metro's website at the time of writing, says in full: "Solid Snake is back, older, wiser, but unfortunately, if gameplay is anything to go by, more arthritic and boring. In truth, the MGS series has always been rather unfathomable - a fanboy favourite that mystifies and inspires in equal measure. The plot is so utterly overblown that it's pointless delving too deep - imagine an art house remake of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie (there's a twin brother, global conspiracy, genetic engineering and, erm, a laughing octopus).

"The core of gameplay is stealthy third-person action but there are so many twists in the standard formula, it's breathtaking. It's a whirlwind of unevenness that somehow manages to be both rubbish and exceptional at the same time."

You can find out why Metro's review of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is wrong by reading our review, in which we give the game a nine out of 10 score, right here.

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/23-06-2008-8613.html

There's a reason why the Metro is a free newspaper :rofl:

They explained his blood in MGS2, It's a replacement blood that holds more oxygen and clots much quicker, plus it's full of nanomachines. I assume that he never had it removed after the events of MGS2.

and yes, Act 4 and the fight at the very end of the game was epic. I got goosebumps when I first got to the heliport and the ending music from MGS1 came on, same with the fight at the end.

1. They didn't explain it, and as I posted in another topic I think it's intentional. Think: Explanation in the next MGS game ;)

2. When the Beauty is in human form (after defeating beast), let her chase you for 3 minutes without downing her and you'll be whisked away to the white room.

If you have the camera at this point, she'll pose for you! Or if you play music, she'll dance :p

Ohh wow, they just freaked me out so i shot them to death, i am going to try this on the second play trough.

Another question.

I remember in MGS 2 you had the dog tags to collect, and in MGS 3 you had to find the frogs, but i didnt find anything on MGS 4, not even by accident, are there any collectibles???

About the review... oh god... i guess they say anything controversial to try to attract readers, lame.

I think its fair to say that anyone who says that a mgs plot its "overblown" at this point in the series its new to the series, ergo the game its not for them.

I think its fair to say that anyone who says that a mgs plot its "overblown" at this point in the series its new to the series, ergo the game its not for them.

Yeah.

I think the casual gaming age we now live in took a mighty blow to the gut when MGS4 came out. Due to everyone buzzing on casual and easy to play titles, MGS4 seems to have taken some flak for not following what a good chunk of the industry currently are.

My backup for that is, MGS1-MGS3 all had the same complexities as MGS4, however MGS4 for some reason is stealing the headlights in many more places about being difficult to "jump in and play".

The obvious fact of "jumping into any series in the finale is going to confuse you" comes to mind, but some reviewers just think that's unacceptable and MGS4 should be a "casual" game for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Thankfully Kojima didn't dumb it down to meet the standards of some of the current day journalists who are buzzing off their faces on everything casual, and demean anything not.

We can't imagine Konami will be pleased by the review. Equating each star out of five to two points on an out of 10 scale, Metro has awarded the game a six out of 10, which is the lowest MGS4 review score we've seen so far. According to certified distribution figures from ABC, Metro is read by 1.3 million readers across the UK every day.

Haha i dont think Konami will really give a crap about some nobody that writes for a random free paper when everyone else has given the game 8/10 and above :p