Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

On the back of the PAL release it says HD 720p NOT 1080p. Even though it does scaled to 1080p it wasn't listed on the back of the PAL release at all.

Also i doubt the game is even running at native 720p anyway.

Nope, it will run in 1080p even with 720p checked.

I can confirm that.

ah good good than. i have nothing to say. i love native 1080p games (except echochrome)

If you like 1080p then youll love this game, it is stunning, apart from the odd set of jaggies and low resolution textures its not the best looking game ever but some sections make your jaw drop in awe.

If you like 1080p then youll love this game, it is stunning, apart from the odd set of jaggies and low resolution textures its not the best looking game ever but some sections make your jaw drop in awe.

just played the game for 10 mins..

so far in love with it.

i never thought it would be that good.

good job konami.

There are some stunning visuals later in the game and near the end. There are a few framerate drops which do get a bit annoying though.

Show me a game with no framerate drops? Every game I've played (and it alot) all have them along the way, somewhere.

I suppose so, but there are some pretty severe drops through the game, The bit where Liquid removes the SOP control over the PMCs and they go mental theres a pretty BIG dip there.

I have a quick question about the game. I'm considering buying it (maybe tomorrow) and i'd like to know if it has offline multiplayer (split screen) and if so how does it work? Is it co-op or just versus? How many players is it? If it is only versus are bots supported (i.e. two human players vs two computers)? Also, is MGO free?

TBH I'm probably going to buy it either way but I would really like to know this beforehand.

I have a quick question about the game. I'm considering buying it (maybe tomorrow) and i'd like to know if it has offline multiplayer (split screen) and if so how does it work? Is it co-op or just versus? How many players is it? If it is only versus are bots supported (i.e. two human players vs two computers)? Also, is MGO free?

TBH I'm probably going to buy it either way but I would really like to know this beforehand.

no offline multiplayer, just online...hence the name metal gear online. ;) and yes, MGO is free.

no offline multiplayer, just online...hence the name metal gear online. ;) and yes, MGO is free.

Thank you very much for answering my question. I knew MGO was online but I wanted to know if the game came with an extra offline multiplayer option. I'm pretty sure that is what you were referring to though so thanks again for answering my question.

Show me a game with no framerate drops? Every game I've played (and it alot) all have them along the way, somewhere.

Depends what you mean by framerate drops. No game runs at a consistent FPS from beginning to end, that's just impossible really. But since most games run at around 30fps, even a small drop is noticeable to most people.

The problem arises when the game drops quite a bit. Imagine a game that's running at 30FPS dropping to say 27FPS. That might not sound like much, but in reality it's a 10% drop and very noticeable

The thing about MGS4 is that, to me, it seems to run just shy of 30FPS most of the time, but every now and then the Frame Rate goes UP, which is just as distracting for me. Konami should have locked the frame rate closer to the average they expected to get.

The thing about MGS4 is that, to me, it seems to run just shy of 30FPS most of the time, but every now and then the Frame Rate goes UP, which is just as distracting for me. Konami should have locked the frame rate closer to the average they expected to get.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

In cut-scenes especially, the FPS would just shoot up and everything would be so much smoother, then it would drop back down - It was quite annoying.

But that's minor stuff, of course.

What bugs me more than that, is how slowly you turn when aiming. Must check if there's an option to speed that up.

When you "aim", snake immediately points to where the camera is pointed, so if you need to quickly turn around, just let go of the aim button, flip the camera around and then press aim again.

What bugs me more than that, is how slowly you turn when aiming. Must check if there's an option to speed that up.

There is an option for the speed

Argh I really want to play through this again, but I need to wait for the trophy patch :(

At least drop us a line Konami, FFS. Tell us if it's coming or not please! If not, I don't care just want to play again.

If I had just bought MGS4 though, stuff trophies, I'd be playing :p

just installed the update there now. Now I don't want to play any of my PS3 games until they get patched for trophies....

just installed the update there now. Now I don't want to play any of my PS3 games until they get patched for trophies....

We're all doomed to farming SSHD for now :(

lol

Have just got to Shadow Moses again, been doing a bit of ghost hunting, Has anyone seen them? i've only found one so far, near the helipad. I took a picture with the camera and saved the pic to the XMB folder... thing is, the ghost is'nt on the picture! Spooky! :| lol

Finished this on Wednesday, excellent game. I got into the series the week MGS4 came out. So I played all the MGS games within three weeks. Really impressed with the series, not sure why I waited until now to play them, but I'm glad I did!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just suck badly at playing MGS4 :p :blush: it was just a matter of timing (and my lack of it :laugh:)

Edited by Xerxes