Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I doubt the game is running at 1280x720p either and more like 1152x640p. It will be merely scaled up, just like everything.

Halo3 had 1080p listed as supported but we all know about that one. don't we?

Oh sorry Mr Kojima, i didnt realise we had a PS3 developer on Neowin.

Oh sorry Mr Kojima, i didnt realise we had a PS3 developer on Neowin.

:laugh: You are quite funny sometimes.

You care to disagree with me? There is no way that MGS4 will be running at true 1920x1080p.

Most games on PS3 are already running lower than 720p so what makes you come out with that sly remark to disagree with me?

Let's just wait and see instead of speculating.

couldn't agree more, I'm expecting native 720p myself, PS3 centric development makes me think this. no matter what it ends up as I'm just gonna play and enjoy, graphics aren't everything.

You care to disagree with me? There is no way that MGS4 will be running at true 1920x1080p.

Most games on PS3 are already running lower than 720p so what makes you come out with that sly remark to disagree with me?

No i totally agree it wont be 1080p i just found your comment funny :)

I have a suspicion it will be below 720p but this is Kojima all his games have been pretty impressive graphics and since this isnt a multiplatform title i wouldnt be surprised if he can hit the 720p resolution.

Having said that the PS3 is good at upscaling horizontal resolutions not vertical, so it could be running in lowerresx1080 then upscaled to 1920x1080 like Audio says.

Please stop looking for an argument about something which doesn't belong in this topic. The topic is about MGS4, not about different games on the PS3 that may or may not run at 720p or 1080p.

Let's just wait and see instead of speculating.

Doesn't it usually say on the box? Or do we have to wait for someone to count the actual pixels. The box in the picture in this thread shows 1080p, where other games show 720p or maybe 1080i.

Glad to see this thread is discussing MGS4.

Well i should be picking up a PS3 next week in anticipation for this game. I'll pick up unchanted too.

I just want to see the Metal Gear Ray and Rex battle... knowing Hideo Kojima it will be pretty epic.

Doesn't it usually say on the box? Or do we have to wait for someone to count the actual pixels. The box in the picture in this thread shows 1080p, where other games show 720p or maybe 1080i.

Theres a big difference, it might output the graphics at that resolution but what people want to know not that it realy matters is what the native resolution is which will then be upscaled to those 720p/1080i/1080p resolutions.

Glad to see this thread is discussing MGS4.

Well i should be picking up a PS3 next week in anticipation for this game. I'll pick up unchanted too.

I just want to see the Metal Gear Ray and Rex battle... knowing Hideo Kojima it will be pretty epic.

Make sure you pick up a DS3, they are far more superior over the sixaxis.

I wish i had known about how cheap DS3s where, im broke now after buying my PS3 and all the extras + games :(

I wish i had known about how cheap DS3s where, im broke now after buying my PS3 and all the extras + games :(

I did like the lightweight of the sixaxis, however the DS3 has a more substantial feel to it.

I got mine off a UK ebay seller for about ?40 (?35+?5 for next day delivery)

...think I'd better get MGS3, does anyone know if they fixed it for the 60gb EU model?

Can you get a DS3 in the UK?

No, but you can ship them in from Ebay and places. I payed ?32 for mine including shipping and I got it to the UK in 3 days from Hong Kong.

Please stop looking for an argument about something which doesn't belong in this topic. The topic is about MGS4, not about different games on the PS3 that may or may not run at 720p or 1080p.

Err what? I was referring to what American Ninja and Audioboxer said about the 1080p support on the back of the box, so it does belong in this topic since it was mentioned? :blink: There is no way MGS4 will be running at true 1080p, period.

Can you get a DS3 in the UK?

Dual Shock 3 Controller ?34.99 inc.Free Delivery

...think I'd better get MGS3, does anyone know if they fixed it for the 60gb EU model?

What was wrong with it? I completed MGS3 on the PS3. ( Also 60GB EU Model )

Have you used them and if so what were they like to order from?

Wait until tomorrow and you'll get the DS3 for ?29.99> from that site!

What was wrong with it? I completed MGS3 on the PS3. ( Also 60GB EU Model )

A friend of mine (DrCheese on here) told me it was broken by a firmware update, and I wasn't sure whether it was fixed.

Already got the white model:pp and loving it!

That come with the LE?

I'm not sure :/

I *think* so. You can buy it on it's own.

Summary of Playstation: The Official Magazine.

-Meryl has grown since we last saw her. She is now a strong and confident leader. And very much the female Solid Snake: "badass".

-The intro cut scene is quote "senstational" backed by positional audio that brings the beautifully realized world to life. Forget Prerendered Stuff!! All the cut-scenes are done in-game.

-A couple of Assassin's Creed references. It shows that even though the tone of the game is quite serious, they still have time to wink at the camera. Haven't lost their tongue-in-cheek humor.

-Naomi Hunter is a fox. Pun intended. Get it...Grey Fox. Okay, don't quit your day job. She provides a lot of exposition on why Snake is "Old Snake".

-There are quick-time button presses during cut-scenes which will cause a flashback to prior games/moments. Drebin gives you points for hitting them.

-Direct quote: "If you come to the game with no prior MGS Knowledge, you'll still uncover one of the most absorbing stories ever told".

-The acting in the cut scenes is "incredible". There are a lot of subtleties.

-The solid eye system looks incredible. Has many different functions that will help you along and you'll need all the help you can get. At the core MGS4 is still a stealth game and it's the hardest of the lot.

-There are some amazing twists and turns. Direct quote: Two acts into this experience you might think you know what's in store for the rest of the game, when it suddenly changes in such a beautiful way.

-Gun customization! Lights, sights, and grips for improved accuracy. Each gun with detailed statistics and grades on power Grade A (best) to Grade E (worst). You can even lock-on.

-You can listen to your ingame iPod even songs from prior games by finding them in certain levels. Looks like these are the new frogs?

Sorta spoilers below:

-You return to Shadow Moses Island. (I didn't know that.) And the environment is nothing short of stunning.

-The reviewer was never a big fan of MGS series but now MGS4 has made him a fan and he put MGS4 in his top-10 favorite games.

-There is tons of dialogue and references to other games near the end of the game. So many infact, you hardly would have to play the other games to understand the characters and the story. The ending/epilogue is near an hour long cut-scene. Wow.

-"MGS4 is special in so many ways that I suspect it will reside among the videogame industy's greatest achievements long after we're dust"

-5/5 Stars

The ending/epilogue is near an hour long cut-scene.

So near 60 mins, not 90 :p Unless there is others...

Have you used them and if so what were they like to order from?

No i haven't so i have no idea if they are actually good but i'm sure they are.

Its going to be ?29.99 tomorrow from 365?