Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

I guess everyone has seen IGN's review? - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p1.html - UK anyway, 9.9.

Eurogamers is a little surprising, but some of the things they're negative about makes it sound like a personal taste issue with the reviewer.

There is going to be diversity in the reviewing world, but when you see something like Grid scoring higher than MGS, it does make you scrunch up your face :blink:

Anyway, with all the other reviews it's getting it's clearly an excellent game for MGS fans, and some of the reviews mentioned it still being great for newcomers (Y)

Thanks for the IGN link :)

Posted by someone on GAF :laugh:

Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of ****ing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.

I've started to rely less and less on 'professional' reviews, I tend to get forum opinions and I like to trust the likes of kotaku.

Gamesmaster magazine:

Quick Summary.

97% Best MGS Game.

GM Loves

Battiling the Beauty and the beast units

The Octo Cam Suit

Stealthily sneaking around the middle east.

GM Hates

The Odd Lengthy cutscene

That It might be the last one!

Graphics

91% Mind-Blowing attention to detail brought to spectular life.

Gameplay

97% A near perfect refinement of MG's familiar stealth and shoot mechanics

Lifespan

90% Its the longest of the series and there are plenty of reasons to play again.

No one mentions Metal Gear Online, even though on the previously leaked pictures of the menu, it is listed there, whats the deal??, is MGO coming out with MGS 4 or what?

Reviews just make me laugh nowadays, i tend to just ignore them completely now.

It is Metal Gear Solid for gawds sake. Who ever doubted that it would be rubbish?

No one mentions Metal Gear Online, even though on the previously leaked pictures of the menu, it is listed there, whats the deal??, is MGO coming out with MGS 4 or what?

I read some review site is doing them seperately.

Maybe Konami made it a requirement to review them on their own?

MGO comes with MGS4, but their will be further DLC down the line added.

I read some review site is doing them seperately.

Maybe Konami made it a requirement to review them on their own?

MGO comes with MGS4, but their will be further DLC down the line added.

I see, yeah i notiched in the Uk IGN review that they were handed out an extensive list of things they were not allowed to mention in the reviews, seems like a small price to pay to be able to release a review early.

haha, thanks

It seems like Konami gave them a package of pictures to use, save for a few, pretty much all of them are the same in every review, even the same angle, etc

My god, the GAF members are certainly ... passionate?

Oh well, just created my third or fourth MGS Signature/Avatar - Hope I can stick with this one :/

My god, the GAF members are certainly ... passionate?

Oh well, just created my third or fourth MGS Signature/Avatar - Hope I can stick with this one :/

is it just me or does it look like snake is playing snooker? :p

sorry sethos

Just been listening to the Official Soundtrack, my god that's beautiful - Really one of the best game Soundtracks I have hard in a very long time, think It's only topped by the first Metal Gear Solid.

Just been listening to the Official Soundtrack, my god that's beautiful - Really one of the best game Soundtracks I have hard in a very long time, think It's only topped by the first Metal Gear Solid.

I can't bring myself to do it before I play :(

But I believe you, I know it will be epic.

Yeah, did cross my mind to wait until I had completed the game. But I know for certain, the music will blend so well with everything I will hardly listen to it, I mean really listen.

So might as well enjoy it now :)

Finished MGS1 today, although I don't remember it being quite that short (around 8 hours).

Onto #2 next week. (Y)

PS. Sethos - I swear I have seen about 3 different variations of a MGS sig there. :p

EUROGAMER

MGS2 - 9

MGS3 - 8

MGS4 - 8

EDGE

MGS3 - 8

MGS4 - 8

This is what the edge MGS4 review said,

- Opening act is the best part

- Not a game for MGS outsiders

- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark

- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.

- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view

- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.

- Game can be played for months rather than days.

- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)

- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

The 90min cutscene rumour was debunked, so either Edge didn't actually play the game, or they're talking out their ass.

Or it's true... but it's been debunked a few times.

So maybe for Edge 60 mins = 90 mins for a review :rolleyes:

We know the ending is 60 mins or there abouts though...

I was actually considering freezing myself down for a few days, but I know it would go horribly wrong :laugh:

The wait time is killing me :(