Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

EGM Refuse To Review MGS4 Because Konami Imposed "Limitations"

To recap: Konami are imposing restrictions on what publications can and cannot talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4. No mention of 90-minute cutscenes please, and while you're at it, no talky-talky about install sizes either, K? IGN are cool with that. EGM, refreshingly, are not.

Due to "limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments", the editorial team decided to refrain from giving the game a score, and in lieu of a "review" posted a lengthy roundtable discussion about the game instead. It's hardly a gloved fist on an Olympic dias, but it is nice seeing somebody do something about such an...unsavoury practice.

Source: Kotaku.com

I never played any MGS series.. and dont want to jump to MGS4..

Is there a webpage where it summarizes MGS 1,2,3,? so i have a better idea about the story?

thank you...

I never played any MGS series.. and dont want to jump to MGS4..

Is there a webpage where it summarizes MGS 1,2,3,? so i have a better idea about the story?

thank you...

I suggest if you dont want to read too much go and watch the Metal Gear Retrospectives, it gives you a summary of the Metal Gear backstory in video form, they are currently up to MGS2, the next one will probably MGS3.

Alternatively you could just buy MGS4, during the cutscenes there are interactive bits where if you press a button when prompted it launches into a flashback of the bit of the story that is relevant to that point in the game.

okk thank you for the link.. checking it out now...

Is there a written one as well?

though i am sure it would be a 100 pages long :)

Yeah there should be somewhere, I'm not 100% where myself but I'm sure someone else will post one for you :)

Also, with these flashbacks, like in the other games where you could push a button to see through snake's eyes (might have been MGS3 only) will there be hidden flashbacks? (eg: when you could look through snake's eyes but there was no indication that you could do so)

-Rich-

ok just watching the parts in gametrailers.com and it says MGS1 was sold around 1 million copies in 1987 or something like that...

1 million copies in that year?

how did the stores use to sell the games?

PS3 games are in a nice bluray disc and package. I remember games before DVDs were in a big box full of CDs inside..

In 1980s the computer games were sold as disquettes in boxes as well?

and geez. 1 million people bought a game in 1987? computer gaming was not popular like now in those years.

thats a success.

I can't possibly wait any longer for this game... must have noooow!!

I can't wait any longer for this game either. I've had it pre-ordered since April 24th on Play.com. I am seriously considering cancelling my pre-order, though. I've only noticed the Limited Edition on Play.com today, and I'll be slightly ticked off at not having it! It's got the making of the game on another Blu-Ray, the entire soundtrack for the game, and exclusively for Europe, a 6" Old Snake 'Olive Drab' action figure!!! I want it so bad! If it's only a fiver more than the regular edition, I'm definately cancelling my pre-order and getting the LE. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the extras! :D

Go ahead and call me crazy, BTW! :laugh:

I can't wait any longer for this game either. I've had it pre-ordered since April 24th on Play.com. I am seriously considering cancelling my pre-order, though. I've only noticed the Limited Edition on Play.com today, and I'll be slightly ticked off at not having it! It's got the making of the game on another Blu-Ray, the entire soundtrack for the game, and exclusively for Europe, a 6" Old Snake 'Olive Drab' action figure!!! I want it so bad! If it's only a fiver more than the regular edition, I'm definately cancelling my pre-order and getting the LE. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the extras! :D

Which LE are you looking at? The Play.com exclusive (with the figurine) is sold out, but was retailing for ?79.99.

man those T-Shirts are nice. I would live to have some of them.

Yeah, especially the box one:rofl::

Does anyone know of a retailer stocking them?

You are not crazy at all... I pre-ordered on play.com too, but cancelled it so I could get the LE.

I have all the games in LE packaging, it would be weird not to have MGS4 LE... :p

You are not crazy at all... I pre-ordered on play.com too, but cancelled it so I could get the LE.

I have all the games in LE packaging, it would be weird not to have MGS4 LE... :p

know of anywhere that still stocks it?

Which LE are you looking at? The Play.com exclusive (with the figurine) is sold out, but was retailing for ?79.99.

?79.99?!?!?!?!?! F**k that!!! OK, I'm sticking with the normal edition!:D:D I love MGS, but not enough to pay double the price for those extras!

Scores so far,

9.9/10 IGN UK REVIEW

8/10 EUROGAMER

10/10 MERISTATION.COM

5/5 OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION MAG REVIEW

9.0/10 GAMESRADAR

95% PSM3 UK REVIEW

97% GAMEMASTER

8/10 EDGE REVIEW

10/10 OFFICIAL US PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 OFFICIAL UK PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 OFFICIAL ITALY PLAYSTATION MAG

9.6/10 OFFICIAL DUTCH PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 LEVEL (SWEDEN)

19/20 JOYPAD (FRANCE)

9.7/10 CHIEF (BELGIUM)

9.6/10 HOBBY CONSOLAS (SPAIN)

9/10 HARDGAME2

9/10 HARDGAME2

97/100 GAMEMASTER

10/10 PTOM (USA)

9.5/10 PLAYFRANCE

9.6/10 PSW

9/10 GAMEREACTOR

9/10 JEUXVIDEO

Just been listening to the Official Soundtrack, my god that's beautiful - Really one of the best game Soundtracks I have hard in a very long time, think It's only topped by the first Metal Gear Solid.

I've listened to it as well, a bit sad that the Main Theme is gone, but Old Snake sure makes it up for it. Plus, it's 47 songs of pure goodness, now to go back and listen to them again!

Scirwode

I somehow have to master NG2 for the 360 before I get my hands on MGS4, and I still have GTA4 to finish :laugh: Gonna be a busy week! :p

I somehow have to master NG2 for the 360 before I get my hands on MGS4, and I still have GTA4 to finish :laugh: Gonna be a busy week! :p

Good luck with that :p

Im still trying to finish GTA4 in time, still got 7 other games to play but they will have to wait till i finish MGS4 :p