Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Ok, im only coming here then, no more NeoGaf, Gamefaqs, Kotaku???

Only Neowin :D

NeoGAF might be ok, but due to the volume of people on the site it's risky.

GameFaqs is suicide, the whole game is spoiled.

Kotaku comments in news articles are bad I think.

So yeah, really, just stick to NW :p

I think a lot of us know what happens in the end. Just How we get there and what happens between that is the mystery. I think i bought my PS3 to early though, as i'm just buying new games now to fill the void between the MGS4 release date.

I think a lot of us know what happens in the end. Just How we get there and what happens between that is the mystery. I think i bought my PS3 to early though, as i'm just buying new games now to fill the void between the MGS4 release date.

This is MGS, I wouldn't say we know for sure how things end.

Or at least if you're guessing the inevitable, you can bet it wont be as smooth sailing as you think to that guess :laugh:

Ah well, we'll know soon (Y)

I just want to see the relationship between Snake and Meryl, hahaha, things were getting steamy on Shadow Moses... Hopefully Meryl can look past Old Snakes wrinkles, poor snake :(

I think I will start replay MGS1-3, instead of being on NW all the time.

I've just ploughed through the cutscenes!

I can't bring myself to play older MGS games this close to MGS4 when I've seen how the game play handles in it :woot:

Kojima Productions Responds to MGS4 NDA Complaints

There seems to be two discussions going on about Metal Gear Solid 4. One is about the game's actual reviews, and the other is about actually reviewing the game. Rumors swirled that reviewers weren't able to talk about MGS4 cutscenes and installs ? rumors that were later confirmed in IGN UK's MGS4 review and by EGM's decision not to review the game. Konami and Kojima Productions were taken to task for this highly unusual NDA. But what was in this NDA? Kojima Productions' Assistant Producer Ryan Payton contacted Kotaku in hopes of setting the record straight and coming clean.

About those review limitations, Payton says the NDA covered: Install times, length of cutscenes (the ending in particular), number of environments, opening "movie", product placement and a half dozen story-specific items. Payton gets down to specifics, stating, "The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts." But what about the cutscenes? The rationale, according to Payton, was that they wanted reviewers to refrain from describing which cutscenes were long as it would "ruin" the experience if players knew when a cutscene was unfolding. What's more, Payton adds, "I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences..." Hit the jump for Payton's email in full. Hey Brian,

Believe it or not, I've been so busy working on a special surprise for MGS4 buyers (that not even those who have leaked copies of the game can spoil! Haha!), that I haven't had time to catch up on most of the pre-launch excitement.

Scanning the net today, I came across that 90-minute cutscene rumor, and a red-faced Adam Sessler, who was obviously very upset about the restrictions placed on MGS4 reviews.

Adam asks at the end of his Soapbox clip if he was rambling. On the contrary, I think he voiced some really important concerns about the restrictions placed on MGS4 reviewers.

In light of this, I took a look at the list of restrictions and found that some items are outdated and require more explanation.

We asked reviewers to avoid the following topics:

-Install times

-Length of cutscenes (the ending in particular)

-Number of environments

-Opening "movie"

-Product placement

-(Plus a half dozen story-specific items)

The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts.

As for the cutscenes, reviewers are more than happy to comment on whether they're too long or short. We simply want reviewers to refrain from describing which scenes are long, thus spoiling some of the experience because players will know what to expect when a scene is unfolding.

I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences...

But as for the next three items, we are still asking reviewers to avoid these topics. We want the opening to be a huge surprise for gamers, and knowing how many environments there are in the game, obviously, is a spoiler. These restrictions will remain in place.

Finally, we've asked reviewers to not write about some of the product placement because of some contractual agreements we have with third parties.

I hope this helps clear up some of the controversy.

As a former writer, I'm proud of the discussion this topic has sparked. I hope Adam, Patrick Klepek, and everybody else who covered this issue continue to be diligent about restrictions placed on media outlets. (That's honestly why I'm such a fan of Kotaku ? it keeps publishers on their toes.)

I do, however, hope gamers can appreciate the efforts we go through to keep them protected from reviewers that could spoil some of the MGS4 experience.

rp

Source: http://kotaku.com/5013432/kojima-productio...-nda-complaints

Glad Ryan cleared this up(Y) (Y)

Suprise :drool: this just gets better and better :p

I know I got all excited when I read that! I think the surprise is Konami will release MGS1,MGS2 and MGS3 on the PS Store :D

I know I got all excited when I read that! I think the surprise is Konami will release MGS1,MGS2 and MGS3 on the PS Store :D

Most likely, its not that exciting tho, i already have them all + the MGS collection.

Im hoping its something else :p

Most likely, its not that exciting tho, i already have them all + the MGS collection.

Im hoping its something else :p

I got the MGS collection as well.

From the sound it the surprise might be pretty big lol Hopefully :D

Good to see Ryan clear things up (Y)

As for the extra content, it's gotta be extra DLC, something not bundled with MGS4 (but MGS related like above said remakes), or else it's bundled with the game but won't be unlocked till an update/firmware 2.4.

All I can think of :/

Edited by Audioboxer

Scores update,

5/5 GAMEPRO

40/40 FAMITSU

9.9/10 IGN UK REVIEW

8/10 EUROGAMER

10/10 MERISTATION.COM

5/5 OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION MAG REVIEW

95% PSM3 UK REVIEW

97% GAMEMASTER

8/10 EDGE REVIEW

10/10 OFFICIAL US PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 OFFICIAL UK PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 OFFICIAL ITALY PLAYSTATION MAG

9.6/10 OFFICIAL DUTCH PLAYSTATION MAG

10/10 LEVEL (SWEDEN)

19/20 JOYPAD (FRANCE)

9.7/10 CHIEF (BELGIUM)

9.6/10 HOBBY CONSOLAS (SPAIN)

9/10 HARDGAME2

97/100 GAMEMASTER

10/10 PTOM (USA)

9.5/10 PLAYFRANCE

9.6/10 PSW

9/10 GAMEREACTOR

9/10 JEUXVIDEO

10/10 PLAYSTATION BEYOND

9.5/10 MAXI CONSOLES (PORTUGAL)

10/10 EMPIRE ONLINE

10/10 PELAAJA MAGAZINE #69

9.5/10 IGN AUSTRALIA

5/5 PS MANIA 3.0(REVIEW BY OUR VERY OWN TTP / ITALIAN)

9.5/10 GAME REPUBLIC

10/10 PSM

97/100 PLAY GENERATION

Edited by Audioboxer

I believe the install size is either 4.5 or 4.6GB.

Hopefully I'll have the game tomorrow, if not Saturday? Royal Mail do deliver on Saturday right? I've been out the country for 2.5 weeks and I can't remember ****! Haha.

Good thing is positive feedback is coming into that seller today for the guys who managed to buy it before 5pm yesterday, meaning a 24hr turnaround.

I won't spoil anything, and I genuinely think the mods of this GH should hand out posting bans for a week or two, to anyone who spoils anything big that we don't already know, and won't know till the 12th.

Telling us how the ipod works in game with spoiler tags is okay, but putting the frickin ending of the game in spoiler tags isn't really "ok" if you ask me :no: :p

Keep the topic clean (Y)

Don't be absurd, all they need to do is remove the comment. There is nothing in rules which states it's a "bannable" offense. It's only MGS4 not the second coming.

Don't be absurd, all they need to do is remove the comment. There is nothing in rules which states it's a "bannable" offense. It's only MGS4 not the second coming.

That all you wanted to add to this topic?

It's quite malice like to go around posting the ending to any game way in advance before it's out, and I see no wrong with handing out a posting ban for a week till the games out if anyone does that repeatedly.

It's not like the games out and someone's saying "oh hey did you like the ending, discuss". They're going out their way to spoil the ending for others (N)

I don't think that is necessary. I'll gladly wrap such comments in spoiler tags if they aren't already, but I will not warn or ban anybody for it.

I don't think that is necessary. I'll gladly wrap such comments in spoiler tags if they aren't already, but I will not warn or ban anybody for it.

Ah well, I just hope we don't get the idiots the other boards have had, where someone has signed up and repeatedly posted major spoilers for no other reason than to ruin the game before it's out. I'd hardly call that a worthwhile contribution to a board.

Don't think we'll get it, as we're not a solely games based forum though...

Thank you, someone with sense.

And I add plenty of discussion to the forum AB, nitpicking one comment? Sheesh. When the game comes out rest assured I will add plenty more :)

Thank you, someone with sense.

And I add plenty of discussion to the forum AB, nitpicking one comment? Sheesh. When the game comes out rest assured I will add plenty more :)

I just didn't think you needed to address me like that? :/

It's the way 95% of the other gaming forms are handling it so I only assumed NW would as well.

It's like someone signing up and ruining the ending to the new Star Wars movie in the media hangout for lots of people a good way off release. You don't signup/are willing do that unless you're trying to be a complete jack ass.

The whole game is spoiled and explained out there, I seriously don't want anyone coming in here and doing that before release, but especially not a week before release - And then just getting there spoilers "spoiler" tagged and being allowed to potentially do it again.

To clarify I didn't mean "warn or ban" in a typical sense, I meant have their posting stopped say even just in the GH (until MGS4 release) if anyone comes in here and is obviously posting huge spoilers for the sole reason of ruining the game for us.

If someone wants to tell us how the ipod works, or show of some gun customisation prior to release, okay, that's not HUGE, but if someone is posting the ending to a series that's been 20 years in the making - That is pretty harsh in my books :/

Edited by Audioboxer

It does happen on Neowin, you're right, it happened with Halo 3 and even Halo 2 I think.

But anyway Gigapixels has cleared it up now.

And you asked earlier if Royal Mail deliver Saturdays and yes they do :)

Well if we're talking about users signing up solely to post spoilers, I would consider that an offense and would of course take the necessary actions. I thought we were speaking of members who have been here for a while.