How is 640x480 1.3 mega pixels?

I have a webcam on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000), and it's advertised as 1.3 megapixels, but the maximum I can get it to display is 640x480. I've seen various other webcams or camera phones advertised as 1.3 megapixels but they only can generate up to 640x480.

So why is 640x480 (which is 0.3 megapixels) being advertised as 1.3 megapixels? If it were truly 1.3 megapixels, wouldn't the resolution be something like 1280x1024?

I have a webcam on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000), and it's advertised as 1.3 megapixels, but the maximum I can get it to display is 640x480. I've seen various other webcams or camera phones advertised as 1.3 megapixels but they only can generate up to 640x480.

So why is 640x480 (which is 0.3 megapixels) being advertised as 1.3 megapixels? If it were truly 1.3 megapixels, wouldn't the resolution be something like 1280x1024?

I'm going to take a guess and say the 1.3 MP is for still photos.

First, double-check that you aren't able to use a higher resolution than 640x480. It may just be a matter of what settings/driver you are using.

Also, some vendors play fast and loose with the term. They might consider each receptor (one red, one green and one blue) as a "picture element", even though it defies what you and I (and many others) would call a full "pixel". Also, they will count the full size of the CCD device - even though the output of the device is reduced to 640x480.

as stated above its most likely 1.3MP for still photos.

It's naive to believe that a laptop webcam can capture HD resolutions. There's a reason why HD-camcorders are hundreds of dollars.

Also another thing to note is that even if your webcam is capable of 1.3megapixels video it doesn't mean your video chat client eg. WLM can display that size video.

as stated above its most likely 1.3MP for still photos.

It's naive to believe that a laptop webcam can capture HD resolutions. There's a reason why HD-camcorders are hundreds of dollars.

Actually, I saw a 720p video recorder made by Canon at target a few months ago for $130. It wasn't on sale, either.